Sideloading and Downloader app work fine on new 2023 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K & 4K Max

With every new Fire TV model, there’s always the concern that something has been done, either deliberately or unintentionally, to prevent access to developer options or to prevent sideloading. Rest assured that both sideloading and developer options, as well as my Downloader app, on the new 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K and Fire TV Stick 4K Max that were released today work exactly as you would expect.

Developer options on the new Fire OS 8 devices are still hidden by default, just as they have been on all Fire OS 7 Fire TV models. This means you still need to reveal developer options by selecting the device name 7 times in the My Fire TV menu under settings. Once you do so, you’ll find the usual option to enable ADB debugging and allow apps like Downloader to install unknown apps.

As for Downloader, it seems to be working fine on the new version of Fire OS. I updated Downloader to be compatible with newer versions of Android TV devices, so those updates are already carried over in the Amazon Appstore version of Downloader which makes the app compatible with Fire OS 8, which is based on Android 11. There are a few bug fixes and improvements for Downloader that I’m working on right now, so expect an update to be released in the coming weeks, but, for now, the app seems to already work fine on the new Fire TV Stick models.

APK Install Prompt on Fire OS 8

APK Install Prompt on Fire OS 5, 6, and 7

Interestingly, it seems like Amazon finally put a bit of care into the sideloading experience of Fire TV devices with Fire OS 8. Usually, when you sideload an app, a somewhat clunky interface designed for phones and tablets would appear asking if you want the app installed. On Fire OS 8, the sideloading interface has been updated to use large text and large buttons designed for a TV screen. This could just be a carryover from the Android TV 11 base that Fire OS 8 is built from, but, either way, it’s a welcomed change.

1. Robert Z says:

Helpful info.

2. Lenny C says:

Great info! Have we looked into why the apk file for the latest version of CBC Gem has a parsing error no matter which site it’s downloaded from? I went so far as factory resetting my Fire Stick (2nd Gen) and it’s the only one that won’t install. Was able to sideload my VPN and BBC iPlayer with no issues.

• Peter says:

Hi. I have problems running the bbc player, in particular to see the highlighting, i.e. which item/series/movie is selected inside the app. Which apk version of bbc player are you using? Thanks.

3. Stephen Lyons says:

Does it have USB c yet

4. Jeannie Marshall says:

Why can I not get new Fire stick remote to pair with any TV in the house, including a Toshiba Fire TV? I have tried every method suggested. None worked! Calling Amazon is a joke these days.

5. Rodney says:

Yes but it doesn’t show the app icon on the homepage. Just a blank.

6. Mike Ray says:

If you are having a problem with installing Kodi multimedia, I will take you threw the steps

7. Paul Thornton says:

Have new 16 gb stick all great except downloader won’t allow me to type in URL box all other apps keyboard appears non on downloadrr