Remote detection message running amok on Fire TVs since recent software update

If you use anything other than the original remote to control your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, you may have run into a new annoying message appearing since the most recent software update. The message, seen above, informs you that the Fire TV cannot detect your remote and provides suggestions on how to resolve the issue. The problem is that the message seems to now be appearing when Fire TV owners are controlling their device through HDMI-CEC, an Echo, or a universal remote and have no intention of using the original remote that isn’t being detected.

This message first began appearing on Fire TV Edition televisions last year to help owners pair their remotes properly. Unlike the remotes of Fire TVs, Fire TV Sticks, and Fire TV Cubes, the remotes of Fire TV Edition televisions can actually control many aspects of the TV through IR only, without actually pairing to the TV via Bluetooth. This is so the remote can turn the TV on from a fully off state, since the remote isn’t connected via Bluetooth in that state. The issue is that not all functions of the remote work when unpaired, like voice searches, so this detection message makes sense to ensure users know that their remote isn’t actually paired to the Fire TV Edition television.

Ever since a recent software update, this message has now started appearing on stand-alone Fire TV models as well. It’s unknown if this was intentional or a mistake on Amazon’s part, but Amazon has told me that they “are aware of the reports about this issue and are actively investigating.” If this message was never supposed to be activated on stand-alone Fire TVs, I expect it’ll be fixed pretty quickly.

In the meantime, the only real way to get around this message is to use the original Fire TV remote. There is no setting or option to disable this message if you plan to use some other means of controlling your Fire TV. When the original Fire TV remote sits idle for a long period, it disconnects from the Fire TV to conserve battery. Pushing any button on the remote should be enough to wake it up and dismiss this message.

1. clocks says:

I had an issue the other day where my third party BT remote stopped working. Thought the batteries were low, but finally realized it was no longer paired with my FTV for some reason.

2. Chuck says:

I’ve been receiving this error message even with the FireTV remote on my 2nd gen Cube. This seems to occur if I turn on the TV without using the Fire remote itself, but through the power buttons of the receiver and television. Tapping any button on the FireTV remote will dismiss the message.

• oasis_001 says:

Same behavior on my four (4) FTV4K Sticks that all use the original Fire TV remotes. I have an Alexa routine that starts up a soundbar, projector and calls the Home Page of the connected Fire TV device. Occasionally, it does not like this and throws up the ‘no remote’ message. One tap of the HOME button and it goes away. But, other devices have the same issue, even when using the Fire TV remote to run them. They all are connected/linked to an Echo speaker for hands-free control and that may be the issue as noted in the article. Hope an ‘update’ in the near future resolves it.

3. aross1976 says:

Yeah this is getting REALLY annoying now,
    I thought I was the only one getting this

Amazon is getting to almost as big of F up’s as Google now

4. Jim Carter says:

1st generation Cube. Original remote and a Sideclick. The message seemed to coincide with the update that introduced the new interface. There have been at least 4 minor updates since, but the message persists. Everything continues to function as it should, it’s just a minor irritant.

5. Charlie_ says:

There’s also a bug where the Fire TV will go to sleep while watching the Twitch app. You have to hit a button on the remote to get the video back. Very annoying

6. wlion1 says:

My remote worked although I received the message. The moment you press a button it then says it is connected.

7. Tenderfoot56 says:

Since the last FireTV 4K update, I have seen this message on 2 of my 4 FireTV 4K devices. I only use the original remote that came with them, so I think this is a new bug in the recent firmware update. I have NO other Amazon Devices, only 4 FireTV 4K sticks running. So this doesn’t appear to be an Amazon Cube or Echo specific problem as I own neither of these. I also own a TCL 8+ FireTV 4K Soundbar, but that has not yet gotten the recent update, so it continues to work just fine with the exception of a functional Soft Mouse software. For some reason, none of the versions of the Mouse APK’s seem to work with this device, but work fine with the real genuine Amazon FireTV 4K and Gen2 devices.

8. Tim Carney says:

I do not use any aftermarket remotes. I have been getting the message on my multiple Fire TV Stick 4K with original remote devices.

9. Mark says:

It does it with the FTV remote as well, not just 3rd party.

10. Russ says:

Ya, can’t wait till they fix this! Happens when I use a Flex to fire up something on 4K firetv using voice control, never handling the remote. I assume the remote is asleep and the code expects it to be there when youtube tv is running. PITA I shocked they haven’t fixed this by now. I think we are in trouble if they can break something so simple in the code, and of course they didn’t have a test case for this or it would not of happened in the first place.

11. Nico says:

Same issue here with my Fire TV Stick 4K and the original remote that came with it. It all started with the Interface Redesign update a couple of weeks ago (v 6.2.8.0 if I remember correctly). And while the message is annoying, it luckily doesn’t come up while watching something. It only happens when leaving the Fire TV homescreen idle for a couple of minutes (between 5 to 10) and without moving the remote.

• Russ says:

Not for me, it pops up when I am watching CNBC via youtube tv on my 4k stick. I think the message fires up after a certain time period of turning the fire tv on and no remote control communication. The remote is sleeping and the code expected it to not be in a sleep state, it expects a connection.

12. AFTVUser says:

Apparently, the remote-disconnect symptom is but one part of a much larger problem with the latest firmware update. The Amazon support forum is replete with reports (including my own) of spontaneous shutdowns, freezing, blank screens, and failures to wake up. Obviously, Amazon needed to vet this one a bit more before releasing it in the wild.

• Russ says:

You know, I’ve been getting spontaneous shutdowns of the youtube app, is that what you/others are seeing? I figured it was just youtube video server problmes.

• AFTVUser says:

Yes, that’s part of the issue. In fact, when I opened YouTube today, everything just froze up, requiring yet another power-off restart of my Cube.

This recent firmware is a real mess.

• Cynthia Kullberg says:

So if Amazon corrects the issue will our tv automatically be corrected??

13. Russ says:

I’m not sure where the programmers are and where the test team/s are but they really need to get their act together. Is it just me or is software getting more buggy than in the past?

• BobD says:

Russ, yes I agree. And so many of the apps just plain suck too. So buggy. We have been trying to use the Bravo app the past 3 months. I just gave up on it. It is just too buggy. Even the CBS, or now new Paramount app is buggy. It doesn’t remember which episode you were watching or where in time line of that episode. Just garbage.

14. Charlie says:

I am constantly getting this on my Cubes running original fireTV remotes. I’ve pulled the plug on my Cubes until this is fixed. That Amazon hasn’t fixed this is absurd.

15. Jeff says:

I don’t have this problem on any of my firestick 4k’s running the old interface. Yet the second I factory reset and got forced to update to the new interface this started showing with both the factory remote and a 3rd party bluetooth remote. This is a big problem and I hope it’s fixed soon because it’s by far making me angry. This is a new firestick.

16. Jeff says:

I think it’s time for me to get a mecool km2 and forget amazon’s junk

17. DK Ward says:

My home button and Alexa buttons have stopped working on my fire stick remote. Changed batteries, paired a second remote, unpaired the original remote, no fixes. This is so damn annoying!

I use alexa to chat in twitch channels, and I also like the speed of zipping from one app to the next. Now I’m stuck watching one channel. This just happened today, please tell me there is a fix?

18. Michael Owens says:

Same here. I’m so pissed off I cant stand it. Is there a way we can get rid of the last update?

19. Jack says:

Just bought and set up a new Fire TV. Interface and remote are so unstable, my WIFE is telling me to return it.

Trust me, that means Amazon has a BIG issue (when even SHE notices, and isn’t willing to suffer through it.)

20. Walt Barefoot says:

I am so glad to find this discussion. We are having this issue constantly on our 3 Toshiba Fire TVs. Has it resolved for y’all? Did you find a fix? Thanks