New 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K and 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max have been released — What would you like to know about them?

The new 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K and 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max have been released today in the US. I have them in hand and will begin running them through their paces, as usual. Let me know in the comments if there’s anything specific you want to know about either device and I’ll try to include it in my coverage over the coming days and weeks.

1. clocks says:

I guess if there is any noticeable performance difference, or if the new OS has changes. I assume these do not have the upscaling feature of the latest cube.

2. GP says:

Do they support DTS, DTS HD passthrough and Dolby True HD passthrough like it is claimed in the amazon listing or it is not supported as it is claimed in their developer page?

3. Ken Stern says:

Can extra storage be added, like the current 4K Max?

4. Brad Woodard says:

How does Fire TV Recast work on them? I know that the Echo Show couldn’t work with the Recast and that felt like a glimpse to the future for the DVR.

• The Fire TV Recast works the same on the new devices as it does on older Fire TV models. The only difference I’ve noticed is that when you’re viewing the “More Info” screen of any TV show, it has an empty “Recorded” row at the bottom. This just seems like a bug, since that row should only exist if you actually have recordings of the show. Other than that everything works as expected.

5. Snoop Frog says:

Do they upscale?

6. Nolan Parrish says:

ALL MY EQPT IS ANCIENT AND NEED NEWER. Maybe its time to upgrade.

7. Tony says:

When will be available in Canada and how much?

8. Pawdog says:

How solid is Dolby Mat for TrueHD Atmos playback?

9. Hittsy says:

I wonder what the latency with a sideloaded steamlink app is

10. Kir says:

Fire OS 8 works with exFAT/NTFS external drives – write and read ?

11. Gabriel Leontine says:

What are the differences between Fire OS 7 and Fire OS 8?

12. Matt says:

What about the Ambient TV feature of the Max-Stick. Does it just work like the Screensaver on old devices? Does the stick go to sleep-mode after x minutes? What widgets are available?
    And how does FireOS 8 differ from FireOS 7 on the stick?

13. UMO says:

Are they still limited to less than 4 gb of storage?

14. As says:

There is a prime day sale next week in india and the first gen 4k max is for sale at a good deal , the 2nd gen 4k max releases after the sale … should i get the first gen ?

15. Matt says:

I’m not can’t seem to access my Recast form my 2nd gen MAX. What am I missing? I don’t see on Live TV in setting. I confirmed it on my network and it is available on the Fire Remote app on iOS.

16. MattC says:

17. anon_001 says:

Elias. It would be nice if there were a conclusive test for determining if the new 4K MAX (2023) is supporting both fractional (23.976 fps) and integer (24fps) frame rates. The developer logs in the previous version would report both, but most reports had 24fps still being 23.976fps when it got to the display. An early report in the AVS forum from a 4K MAX (2023) user indicates that the new 4K MAX (2023) is reporting 23.976fps and 24fps at the device and display level with initial testing. That is different from the previous 4K MAX.

18. Bill Cole says:

4k Max extra buttons on the remote. What is their function? We changed our cable box to streaming thru local cable company. Current Generation remote does not allow page up/down when viewing the guide. Does the new additional buttons allow page up/down?