Netflix finally adds Frame Rate Matching for Amazon Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks

Netflix has finally added support for Frame Rate Matching on Amazon Fire TV devices. See here for a thorough explanation of the feature but, in short, this change now allows Fire TVs to change the refresh rate of your TV to exactly match the frame rate of the video being played through Netflix. The result is a perfectly smooth one-to-one correlation between the frames of a video and the frames being shown on the TV, which eliminates video judder artifacts.

Amazon added Frame Rate Matching to Fire TVs way back in 2018 and the Prime Video app supported it right off the bat. Media library and media player apps like Plex, MrMC, Kodi, and quickly supported the feature as well but no other major streaming service apps that I’m aware of have added support for Frame Rate Matching on Fire TV devices. Four years after the feature debuted, Netflix has now finally added support.

For Frame Rate Matching to work, you have to have your Fire TV’s video resolution option set to Auto and have the Frame Rate Matching option set to On. Both of these options can be found under the Fire TV’s Settings > Display & Sounds > Display menu. With those settings set correctly, Netflix will display a message in the top right saying “Frame rate matching is ON” the first time you go to play a video in the app. The message warns you that the screen may flash briefly when content is started because many TVs go black for up to a few seconds as the frame rate switches if they don’t support variable refresh rates.

So far, I’ve only been able to confirm that Frame Rate Matching is supported in Netflix on the 2nd-gen Fire TV Cube. Reddit user theuniquejimmy, who first spotted the new capability, says it’s working on their Fire TV Stick 4K Max as well. The Netflix app version I’m using that supports the feature is version 8.3.4, so try to update your app if your version of Netflix is older.

1. Greg says:

Ha – just noticed this last night. I was like, “what the heck was that pop-up that I just saw”. Thanks for the info!!

2. clocks says:

Am I the only one that finds frame rate matching causes more issues than it is worth? I don’t notice any difference when it is on/off, but have noticed that it often causes issues with different apps. I have kept mine off for a long time now.

• Adam says:

I inevitably notice when its off, there will be a sweeping landscape shot that stutters slightly, or a person minutely speed ramping as they cross a room. Nothing really bad, just noticeable, and therefore distracting because I know what I am looking at. So I appreciate having it on.
      The Shield has had frame rate matching in beta for a while. When it works, its great, but its not without flaws, which is why it probably was never taken out of beta. It works in Netflix, but sometimes you had to reenter the video after you started it. It doesn’t work with Prime, you just get dumped out of the video.
      Native support in the app is definitely preferable.

• JuanFigueroa says:

Matching frame suppose to fix judder or jumpy scenes when there is rapid movement, but is a 50/50 chance if it will work.

• Pawdog says:

If an app doesn’t support it there should be no effect whatsoever. Weird that you would have any issue on or off.

• Adam says:

This is not at all accurate.
        The Shield itself adjusts the tv’s framerate to match that of the currently playing video, regardless of the app’s inherent support of framerate switching.
        The only issue is whether it worked without stopping the video. So take for instance Netflix, which as said above didn’t have support for framerate switching before now. Netflix worked pretty well with the Shield’s framerate switching feature. I’d fire up The Crown, which runs at 25fps, hold the button I bound to start framerate matching, and my 23.9 fps TV screen would switch to 25 fps. Or, as I said, sometimes it dropped me out of the video, and I had to restart it, whereupon it would then be 25 fps. It would drop back to my tv’s 23.9 fpz (hz if you prefer) when I left the video. Sometimes flaky, but it always eventually worked. Same experience with Youtube. Amazon, OTOH, almost never worked. I got an HDMI error whenever I started the framerate matching feature.
        So no, not weird at all.

• Pawdog says:

Two totally different things. Turning on framerate matching should have no effect on apps that don’t support it on Fire TV, which is what we, are or I thought we were talking about. The implementation of it on the Shield is a totally different thing and not comparable to what Fire TV does.

• Adam says:

Ah, k.
            I described my situation to respond to clocks how I definitely do notice when its off, and provide an anecdotal example of how native framerate matching in the app itself is definitely preferable over a device wide option that sometimes doesn’t work.

• Pawdog says:

Sorry, didn’t catch you were a different responder. That explains my confusion.

3. letour_001 says:

Not seeing this yet on FTV4K Max and Netflix 8.3.4 version. Might take a few days to land on all devices.

4. Bacon says:

Last I checked Fire OS doesn’t support integer framerates, and many Netflix originals that are true 24.000fps will still play at 23.976fps and have stutter as a result.

5. Edgar says:

Is it on by default? I don’t see the option on my fire tv 4 series.

• It’s not on by default in the Frie TV settings. You have to turn it on under the Fire TV’s display settings. You don’t need to do anything in the Netflix app since once it’s on in the Fire TV settings, Netflix will automatically do it.

• letour_001 says:

Is anyone getting this on a FTV4K Max stick? I am on the latest Fire OS and Netflix versions that are available and still not getting the notice at video startup that frame rate matching is ON. Turning on Developer Tools shows a 2160p 59.976Mhz setting even when 23.976Mhz content is streaming on Netflix.

• K says:

I can’t get it to work either.

Matching works fine for other apps like Prime and Plex, but not for Netflix (have updated to latest app and Fire OS versions, cleared data and cache etc)?

• Andrea says:

No way here too. Did you find any solution?

• Jarod says:

Hello. I’m French, I have the latest version of Netflix, the right settings but frame rate matching doesn’t work for me either. However it works without problem with Prime. I do not understand.

6. maxx says:

On FTV 4k MAX NOT work :(

7. Mart says:

Frame rate matching is on only just popped up tonight when I started to watch Netflix on my Xbox series X ? I have a Sony briva XR but I don’t understand why I’m
    Get that message since I’m watching Netflix on my Xbox series X Confused