Introducing Remapper, my new app to reassign the App Buttons on Fire TV Edition Remotes

Ever since the first Fire TV Edition televisions were released, there have been people wanting to reconfigure the app buttons on the bottom of the remote to launch an app of their choice. Now that there are numerous Fire TV Edition devices with various different remotes in several different countries, all with their own set of app buttons, that desire has continued to grow. Introducing Remapper, a new set of apps that I’ve created to reassign the app buttons on the bottom of Fire TV Edition remotes so that they launch any app that you want.

Remapper mimics the app that the app button is supposed to launch by using the same app package name. For this reason, each app button needs its own unique Remapper app. When the app button on the remote is pressed, the corresponding Remapper app launches and then immediately launches the app of your choice.

When you first launch a Remapper app, either directly or by pressing the corresponding app button on your remote, you must select the app that you want to launch instead. Once an app is selected, every time after that, the selected app will immediately launch, without seeing the Remapper interface.

Similarly to my Bookmarker apps, if you later want to reconfigure the Remapper app to launch a different app, you need to clear the apps data under Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications. I’ve also built in a mechanic where if you repeatedly press the app button on the remote a bunch of times (about 5 to 10), the Remapper app will reset itself. This mechanic is a bit hit or miss, so just clear the app’s data manually if you can’t get it to work.

One major shortcoming of the Remapper apps is that, in order to use them, you cannot have the actual app that the remote app button is for installed on your device. This is because Remapper mimics the original app and you cannot have two apps with the same package name installed at the same time. So, for example, if you want the Netflix button to open something other than Netflix, you cannot also have Netflix installed. This also means that Remapper does not work for app buttons to preinstalled apps, like Prime Video or Amazon Music, because there is no way to uninstall those apps.

Additionally, if you have a PS Vue app button that now opens the “Live” tab, Remapper will not work for that button. That is because Amazon added a special case for that button, through a software update, after PlayStation Vue shutdown. I’ve created a Remapper app for PS Vue, but it will only work if the Fire TV is still running the older software version that still tries to launch the PS Vue app when the app button is pressed.

Here are the Remapper apps for all the Fire TV Edition remote app buttons that I’m aware of. You can install them by entering the corresponding codes into my Downloader app. Detailed instructions for how to install and configure Remapper can be found here.

Remapper for Netflix: 2210 (or aftv.news/2210)
Remapper for HBO: 2211 (or aftv.news/2211)
Remapper for Hulu: 2212 (or aftv.news/2212)
Remapper for PS Vue: 2213 (or aftv.news/2213) *See important limitations above
Remapper for Crave (untested): 2220 (or aftv.news/2220)
Remapper for CTV (untested): 2221 (or aftv.news/2221)
Remapper for Freeview Play (untested): 2230 (or aftv.news/2230)
Remapper for DAZN (untested): 2240 (or aftv.news/2240)
Remapper for TVNOW (untested): 2241 (or aftv.news/2241)
Remapper for SonyLiv (untested): 2250 (or aftv.news/2250)
Remapper for ZEE5 (untested): 2251 (or aftv.news/2251)

Since I’m in the US, I’ve only been able to test Remapper for Netflix, HBO, Hulu, and PS Vue. If you have a Fire TV remote with one of the other untested app buttons, please give it a try and let me know in the comments if it did or didn’t work. Please also leave a comment if you have an app button that I missed and include the exact Fire TV model and app in the comment.

Remapper was inspired by a comment from long time AFTVnews reader Ujn Hunter who wanted to give their kid an easy way to get to Disney+. I had thought about testing this app mimicking method for a long time, but never bothered because I figured it would be too annoying to have to constantly change the package name of the app that you wanted to launch every time the app was updated. Ujn and I both had the epiphany of creating a middle-man app instead that did the redirection.

The big question is, will Amazon do something to break Remapper? My guess is yes, but I’m hopeful that they’ll leave it alone, at least for a while, since it only works if you’ve already chosen to not have the original app for the app button installed and it doesn’t work for app buttons to Amazon’s apps. If someone has chosen to not install the app for a particular app button, then the button is completely useless, so there is no loss in letting a few savvy customers improve their Fire TV experience. Besides, its possible to remap remote app buttons on Android TV devices without even needing to sideload or mimic apps, so my Remapper app just levels the playing field a little.

Update

There are some issues with Remapper that I’m working on fixing, such as compatibility with some Fire TV Edition models. If you have issues, please comment below with the exact TV model that you have, what version of Fire OS it is running, which button you are trying to remap, which app you are trying to launch, and details about what is or isn’t working.

1. Kramar says:

WOW! Just wow

2. Gene says:

Every time I press the button it keeps bringing up the remapper app instead of the one I’ve selected.

3. Jorgen says:

Great idea, so useful. Thank you!

4. Nate says:

Great idea! Well done, Elias!

5. Styrx says:

DAZN and TVNow not working on Fire OS 7.2.1.6 by Grundig
    Prime and Netflix not tested.

• Thanks for the info. Please try the following and tell me how it goes:

– Step 1: Uninstalling all Remapper apps
      – Step 2: Press the DAZN button and install the DAZN app that appears.
      – Step 3: Press the TVNow button and install the TVNow app that appears.
      – Step 4: Uninstall both DAZN and TVNow
      – Step 5: Install Remapper for DAZN and see if it works
      – Step 6: Install Remapper for TVNow and see if it works

If either Remapper still does not work, please get the package name of the app that does not work by doing the following.
      – Step 1: Uninstall the Remapper that didn’t work
      – Step 2: Press the remote button for the app and install the actual app
      – Step 3: Install any Remapper app except for the one that is for the actual app.
      – Step 4: Launch that Remapper app manually
      – Step 5: Find the app on the list of apps and tell me the full part that is in the parentheses. It should be something like “com.something.something”

6. Ujn Hunter says:

Thank you so much Elias! My son is super happy that he can turn on his Disney+ now and I’m happy I can launch my Plex. :) The buttons for HBO & Hulu now perfectly open my Plex and Disney+. Also fun note as I was worried my “new” remote with the extra Settings/Recent buttons that has an IMDBtv button where the HBO button was on the other controller, still functions to open Plex for me, which is great! It must be TV hard coded and not Controller hard coded, as I have the Toshiba TV and the new remote is “Insignia” for Toshiba. Anyhow… I and obviously others really appreciate your efforts to make a better Fire TV for everyone!

• Awesome, I’m glad it works!

Just so I’m clear, your original remote is the older Toshiba remote (without a settings button) that has Prime Video, Netflix, HBO, and PSVue buttons and you then bought the newer Insignia remote (with a settings button) that has Prime Video, Netflix, IMDb TV, and Hulu buttons. Is that correct?

You then installed the “Remapper for HBO” app and pressing either the Toshiba remote’s HBO button or pressing the Insignia remote’s IMDb TV button launches the “Remapper for HBO” app. Is that correct?

• Ujn Hunter says:

Original Remote (No Settings/Recent Button): Toshiba with Prime Video, Netflix, HBO & Hulu.

New Remote (w/ Settings/Recent): Insignia with Prime Video, Netflix, IMDBtv & Hulu.

I installed HBO button and Hulu button Remappers. Hulu is in the same spot on both Remotes only the HBO (on Original Toshiba Remote) and IMDBtv (on New Insignia Remote) are different. But pressing either of them Launches the HBO Remapper, which is great for me. So I have a feeling that the TV itself and not the Remote controls the App. i.e. Toshiba TV thinks the Insignia replacement Remote has the exact same “Launcher Buttons” as the Original Toshiba Remote, if that makes sense?

• That’s really interesting. Thanks for the detail. Can you go to Settings > Controllers… > Voice Remotes… and tell me if both remotes are listed there? If only one remote is listed, figure out which one it is by pressing the mic button on each remote. The mic on only the one that is listed as paired should work.

Fair warning, if you proceed with what I ask below, there is a chance that the IMDb TV button will no longer launch Remapper for HBO, so I fully understand if you’d rather not mess with things. That said…

If both remotes are listed as paired in Settings, can you unpair the Toshiba remote, then restart the TV by pulling the plug, then see if the IMDb TV button still launches Remapper?

If only one remote is listed as paired in Settings, can you then pair the Insignia remote also and see if the IMDb TV button still launches Remapper?