Netflix has started offering a small selection of content for free. The good news is that you don’t need to create an account or log in to start watching. The bad news is that they’re not making it easy to watch the free content on your TV. If you install and launch the Netflix app on a Fire TV, you’re just greeted with the usual login/sign up screen and no way to get to the free content. Here is how to watch the free Netflix content on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
Before getting started, know that the free content available is tiny. There are currently only 3 movies available for free: Murder Mystery, Bird Box, and The Two Popes. There are also 7 shows available for free, but you can only watch the 1st episode of each without a paid subscription. The free TV shows are: Stranger Things, Elite, The Boss Baby, When they See Us, Love is Blind, Grace and Frankie, and Our Planet. While that’s not much content, it’ll hopefully change/expand over time and the 3 free movies, at least, are probably worth the time to watch.
For those who don’t need the step-by-step guide, simply install Firefox for Fire TV on your Fire TV device (Silk does not work for this) and load the website
- Install and launch the app Firefox for Fire TV on your Fire TV device. The Silk browser will not work. Once launched, just accept all the default setting options that are presented.
- Select the URL field and enter
- Scroll down the page by holding Down on your remote and select the “Watch Now” button of the content that you want to watch.
- Your selected movie or TV show should start playing. The Play/Pause button on your remote can be used to control the content, but to fast-forward or rewind, you’ll need to press the Select button to bring up the on-screen controls and move the cursor to the timeline or skip buttons.
- Optinally, I suggest using a Bookmarker app to give you an easy way of jumping directly to the list of free Netflix movies and shows directly from the Fire TV’s Home screen. Just install any of the numbered Bookmarker apps, enter
netflix.com/watch-freein the URL field, be sure that Firefox is selected from the browser options, and click the Save Settings button. Once that’s done, simply selecting the Bookmarker from you list of apps will immediately load the Free Netflix content.