Now that an update to ClockworkMod Custom Recovery for the Fire TV has been released, I thought it’d be a good idea to write a guide for installing it. The update process is nearly identical to the installation procedure. The main difference is that it does not matter what software version your Fire TV is running, as long as you’re rooted and already have ClockworkMod installed.
11/3/2014 As of ClockworkMod version 22.214.171.124.4, it is now necessary to first unlock the Fire TV bootloader before installing ClockworkMod. The below guide has been updated accordingly.
- First off, realize this guide is for updating an already installed ClockworkMod recovery. There are some prerequisites for installing ClockworkMod recovery for the first time that are not covered in this guide. If you are installing ClockworkMod for the first time, follow this other guide. Also, you do not have to downgrade to update ClockworkMod.
- If you are updating to ClockworkMod version 126.96.36.199.4 or newer, you will need to follow my guide to unlock your bootloader. You only need to do this the first time you update ClockworkMod to 188.8.131.52.4 or newer. Not every time from now on. (Unless, of course, you’ve re-locked your bootloader via the lock command.)
- Download the ClockworkMod Custom Recovery image you want to upgrade to from AFTVnews.com/recovery
- Rename the downloaded file to: recovery.img
- Transfer the file to your Fire TV’s /sdcard directory by running this ADB command:
adb push recovery.img /sdcard/
(Note: This assumes the recovery.img file you renamed in the above step is in the same directory as ADB, otherwise enter the full path to the file like this:
adb push C:\full\path\to\recovery.img /sdcard/
- Verify the integrity of the file you just transfered using this guide.
- Run the command: adb shell
- Run the command: su
(Note: If this is the first time you’ve ever run su, a pop-up will appear on the Fire TV and you need to select “Grant”)
- Run the command:
- Run the command: exit
- Run the command (yes, again): exit
- ClockworkMod recovery should now be updated. As always, to reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, run the command adb reboot recovery
- After the Fire TV reboots, you should be looking at this: