The newly released Android app AGK Fire has made it easier than ever to sideload apps onto an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick using an Android smartphone or tablet. The app can not only install downloaded APKs like XBMC, but it can also install apps that are already installed on your smartphone or tablet. This means you can install an app from the Google Play store onto your Android device and then transfer that app to a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
How to use AGK Fire
- Enable ADB debugging on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
- Write down your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s IP address.
- Download and install AGK Fire onto your Android smartphone or tablet. You can download it from either Google Play, the Amazon Appstore, or directly from the developers XDA post.
- AGK Fire can transfer any app currently installed on your smartphone or tablet onto your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. It can also install an APK file that is on your smartphone or tablet. So, if you haven’t done so yet, download the app that you want installed on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick from the web or the Google Play store using your smartphone or tablet.
- Launch AGK Fire on your smartphone or tablet and enter your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s IP address when prompted. If you miss the prompt, you can enter the IP address in AGK Fire’s settings menu.
- If the app you want to install on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick…
- Choose the “Install on” button in the popup dialogue.
- Wait for the app to be installed on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. Depending on the size of the app, this may take several minutes.
- The app installation will be done when you see the message “[APP NAME] installed”
AGK Fire is a new app and the developer is still working out some issues. If the app installation on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick fails, try disabling ADB debugging on your smartphone or tablet. If that doesn’t work, try adding “:5555” (without the quotes) to the end of your Fire TV’s IP address in AGK Fire’s settings. If you’re still having trouble, post a reply to the developers XDA forum thread with your experience and hopefully the two of you can figure out the issue and improve the app in the process.