Google’s new 2020 Chromecast with Google TV has changed a lot about the underlying Android TV operating system that it runs on, but what hasn’t changed too much is the ability to sideload apps. Sideloading, which is the process of installing APK app files from a source other than the Google Play Store, is possible on the new Chromecast, but Google makes you jump through a few more steps than was previously necessary on Android TV. Here is a step-by-step guide for how to sideload apps using Downloader on the Chromecast with Google TV.
- Find and install the Downloader app by searching for “Downloader app” using either the voice serach or the text search. You need to include “app” in your search or else it won’t come up. An alternative way to find the app is to go to the “Apps” tab and scroll down to the “Tools” category. Downloader should be one of the first apps listed.
- Once the app is installed, don’t bother launching it yet. You first need to enable dveloper mode so that you can allow Downloader to install apps form unknown sources. To do so, go to the device’s Settings screen. You can get there by either selecting your circle profile icon in the upper right of the home screen, or by pressing and holding the Home button on your remote to bring u the same menu.
- Once you’re on the Settings screen, navigate to “System” and then to the “About” menu.
- Scroll down to the “Android TV OS Build” item at the very bottom and repeatedly select it over and over. Nothing will happen at first as you select the menu item, but eventially a message at the bottom will appear saying that “You are now [#] steps away from being a developer.” Keep selecting the “Android TV OS Build” menu item until you see “You are now a developer!” at the bottom of the screen.
- You can now enable Downloader to install apps from unknwon sources. You do this by navigating to Settings > Apps > Security & Rescrictions > Unknown Sources. From there, select Downloader to flip the setting to “Allowed.”
- Now you can launch Downloader. Do so by finding the icon at the end of the “Your Apps” list on the “For You” screen or the “Apps” screen.
- Once Downloader opens, select “Allow” to grant permission for Downloader to save and access files. You must do this or you won’t be able to download anything. If you accidentaly deny the permission, you can grant it form the Settings > Apps > Permissions > Storage menu.
- If what you are downloading is on a website, you’re going to need to install the Downloader Browser Plugin, otherwise, all you can do is download files by entering their full and direct URL. To install the plugin, simply enter
browser.aftvnews.cominto the URL filed and select Go.
- Once the plugin downloads, select “Install” to install it. After it installs, select “Done” and then you should select “Delete” to remove the plugin apk since you don’t need it anymore.
- You can now navigate to the Browser section of Downloader and enter the URL for the file that you want to download. You can also just enter a search term directly into the URL field to perform a Google search.
- Use the on-screen cursor to click on the file to start the download.
- When the AK finishes downloading, select “Install” to sideload the app. Once it finishes installing, select “Open” to launch the newly installed app.