ADB and Fastboot are command line tools that allow you to communicate with Android devices like the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. The Android Debug Bridge, which is more commonly referred to as ADB, is used in most of the guides on this website to perform a variety of tasks on Fire TV devices. Fastboot is similar to ADB in that it is a command line tool, but it is primarily used to replace the entire operating system on an unlocked Android device. This guide will show you the simple process of setting up both ADB and fastboot on either a Mac running OS X or a Windows PC.
- Download the latest version of ADB Installer from here: adb-setup
- Launch the setup file you just downloaded.
- When asked “Do you want to install ADB and Fastboot?” type Y and press enter.
- When asked “Install ADB system-wide?” type Y and press enter.
- When asked “Do you want to install device drivers?” type N and press enter.
- You’re done. Now, anytime you need to run an ADB or Fastboot command, simply open up a command-prompt (which can be done by typing “cmd” into the start menu) and enter your command.
- If your Mac has OS X El Capitan (v10.11 and up), then you need to first disable System Integrity Protection by following these steps. You can re-enable it after you finish installing ADB.
- Download the Android zip file from here: adb-fastboot-install
- Extract the zip file you just downloaded by double clicking it.
- Open the newly created unzipped folder.
- Open the Terminal application on your Mac.
(If you don’t know where it is, you can search for it from Spotlight with ⌘-Space or find it in your Applications > Utilities folder)
- Drag and drop the “ADB-Install-Mac.sh” file from the unzipped folder into the Terminal window.
- Press enter in the Terminal window. You may need to enter your Mac password to complete the installation.
- Once the installation completes, you’re done. You can now open Terminal anytime and enter ADB or fastboot commands. Be sure to re-enable System Integrity Protection if you disabled it at the start of this guide.