How to safely Restart and Unplug the Amazon Fire TV Recast

The Amazon Fire TV Recast is a unique device in the Fire TV family because it has a spinning hard drive inside. This means that you should take a bit of care when cutting power to the device because, theoretically, data on the hard drive could be corrupted if the Fire TV Recast loses power while it’s actively writing to the drive. Since the Fire TV Recast cannot be shut down or turned off, it’s likely that Amazon built-in safeguards for unexpected power loss, but it can’t hurt to be extra cautious. Here’s the safest way I’ve found to reboot and/or unplug the Fire TV Recast.

If all you want to do is restart the Fire TV Recast, Amazon has thankfully provided a way to do that. On any Fire TV device, got to the “Settings > Live TV > Live TV Sources > Fire TV Recast” menu and select the “Restart” option. A message will appear informing you that the LED on the front of the device will change to blue while it’s restarting and the device will be fully restarted when the LED changes to a pulsing white light.

If anyone is actively viewing content from the Fire TV Recast when the reboot occurs, they’ll see a message informing them of the restart appear in the lower right corner of their screen. The video they’re watching will pause and automatically resume right where they left off after the Fire TV Recast finishes restarting. If the Fire TV Recast is actively recording, there will be a gap in the recording when the restart occurred, but it will autmoatically resume recording after the restart, and the recorded video before and after the restart will be intact and joined together for that stored recording.

If you want to power off or shut down the Fire TV Recast, your only option is to pull the power plug. Before doing so, to avoid potential data corruption, my suggestion is to go through the exact same restart process as I just mentioned above. When the restart process starts, the LED on the front of the Fire TV Recast will first turn solid blue while it prepares to power down. Then, while it’s actually powering back up, the LED will begin to pulse blue. The best time to pull the power plug is while the LED is pulsing blue because it’s the least likely time for data to be written to the hard drive.

1. Len Mullen says:

I bet if you pull the plug 1000 times, you will have no problems. No way Amazon lets this be an issue.

• JerryW says:

I agree. If most people do like I do you do the setup of your new device on a test bench. When you get it operating properly you move it to a more permanent place. With no documented way to power it down, I just cut the power to the surge protector I had it plugged into while setting it up. I was cognizant of the fact that it would not be wise to cut power while it was recording or playing back.

2. RG Geiger says:

Thanks for the info! I’m loving my unit but setup with my ftv cube was a bit confusing until I got an additional app on a mobile device. Had some suttering of the antenna feed last night too? It was enough that I switched input on the TV to direct antenna feed. But neither problem was enough to reduce my rating from 5 stars.

3. Kat says:

My DVR tab keeps disappearing along with my recordings and then it reappears and disappears again does anyone know why or what I need 2 do. I restart but it keeps doin this. Thx

4. Jeff J says:

I am having the same problems just this week! re-botted everything (fire sticks, router, recast DVR, modem. I have one TV that has not lost it – any help would be appreciated!

5. Doug H says:

Same exact thing is happening to me. DVR option disappearing from the menu. It comes back when you unpair and then re-pair it to the FireStick (Device) but sometimes disappears again real fast. Restarting and cutting power to the Recast unit has no effect.
    We have two External FireSticks on older TV’s and an actual FireStick TV with one built in. When it disappears from our main TV /External FireStick the DVR option is still present and functional on the other two TV’s??? Very odd behavior! Can’t be an issue with the FireSticks themselves. It’s got to be the Recast unit itself. Never had an issue with it until about June 20th. If I recall there was an update pushed to it. I wonder if that update has a bug in it.

6. Steve says:

I have had the same issue for about 5 days. DVR disappears from the top of the screen and the way I have found to get it back is to unpair and pair the Fire TV Recast to the Fire TV. Sometimes my recorded programs come back and sometimes I have to unpair and pair a couple of times to get the DVR and recorded programs back. It is infuriating and I am concerned that the unpair – pair way will quit working.