The app buttons at the bottom of the newest Fire TV Remotes and Fire TV Smart TV remotes can either be fantastic or useless. They’re great if it’s an app that you use often, but they’re a complete waste if you don’t even have the app that they’re for installed. This guide will show you how to reassign the app buttons to open any app you want. This method uses my Remapper app and works for Netflix, HBO, Hulu, PS Vue, Disney+, CTV, Crave, DAZN, TVNOW, and other buttons. It works on the new remote paired to a Fire TV, Fire TV Cube, and Firestick, as well as Fire TV Edition devices from Element, Toshiba, Insignia, Onida, Grundig, JVC, and more.
UPDATE: Amazon has made changes to prevent my original remapping method from working. I have updated this guide with a workaround that should circumvent Amazon’s changes. If you previously installed any Remapper, it is best to uninstall it and carefully follow this guide from the very beginning. Enjoy this workaround while it lasts, but you should expect that Amazon will likely block it as well eventually.
UPDATE #2: The original workaround did not work on Fire OS 7 devices. The guide has been updated again to now work on all Fire OS versions.
- The app for the button that you are remapping cannot be installed on your Fire TV. For example, if you want the Netflix button to open an app other than Netflix, then you cannot have Netflix installed.
- Buttons for preinstalled apps, like Prime Video, IMDb TV, and Amazon Music, cannot be remapped. This is because there is no way to uninstall preinstalled apps and you cannot remap a button if the button’s app is installed.
- Your PS Vue button likely cannot be remapped. If pressing the PS Vue button opens the Fire TV’s “Live” tab, then your PS Vue button cannot be remapped. Only Fire TVs running an old software version, before Amazon changed how the PlayStation Vue button worked, can remap the PS Vue button.
- You must have your Fire TV’s “ADB Debugging” option enabled. Having only the “Unknown sources” option enabled is not enough. To enable ADB Debugging, go to Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options and turn on the ADB Debugging option. For Fire TV Smart TVs, the option is under Settings > Device & Software > Developer Options
- You must have the original real app for the button that you want to remap (e.g., Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, etc..) in your Amazon purchase history. If you are not sure if you have ever downloaded/purchased the original real app, then press the app button on your remote right now and install the app that the button brings up.
- If the app for the button that you want to remap is installed, you must now uninstall it. Remapping an app button does not work if the actual app for the button is installed on your Fire TV. There is no way to remap an app button and also continue using the original app. For instructions on how to uninstall an app, follow this guide.
- Download and install the app “Remote ADB” by entering
2201(or aftv.news/2201) into the Downloader app. If you’ve never sideloaded or used the Downloader app, follow this detailed guide for sideloading. Do not launch the Remote ADB app at this time, but you may delete the downloaded APK after you have installed it.
NOTE: If you are an advanced user with the ability to run ADB commands from your computer, you can instead avoid installing “Remote ADB” and, instead, just run the necessary ADB commands from your computer. Simply follow this guide but replace all portions using the “Remote ADB” app with your computer’s ADB client instead.
- Using the Downloader app, download BUT DO NOT INSTALL the Remapper app below that corresponds to the app button that you want to remap. It is crucial that you ONLY DOWNLOAD AND DO NOT INSTALL the Remapper app at this time. If you do install the app, you must uninstall it before continuing with this guide.
NOTE: The Remapper app that you download is the one that matches the BUTTON on your remote that you want to remap. It is NOT the one that matches the app that you want the button to LAUNCH.
Remapper for Netflix:
Remapper for HBO:
Remapper for Hulu:
Remapper for PS Vue:
2213(or aftv.news/2213) *See important limitations above
Remapper for Disney+:
Remapper for Crave:
Remapper for CTV:
Remapper for Freeview Play:
Remapper for DAZN:
Remapper for TVNOW:
Remapper for SonyLiv:
Remapper for ZEE5:
Remapper for Prime Video: Not Possible (see why above)
Remapper for Amazon Music: Not Possible (see why above)
- Once the Remapper app has been downloaded, select Cancel to NOT install the app. If you accidentally install the app at this point, you must stop and uninstall it. Be sure to select Done from the Downloader prompt when the download finishes. Do not install or delete the Remapper app at this point.
- Open the Remote ADB app on your Fire TV and enter 127.0.0.1 into the first text field, leave 5555 in the second field, and press the connect button.
- On the “Allow Debugging” message that appears, check the box to always allow and then select OK.
- Once Remote ADB connects and a text field appears at the bottom, you need to enter the commands from the list below, one by one, that matches the remote app button you are trying to remap. For example, if you want to remap your Netflix button and have downloaded the Remapper app for Netflix in the step above, you would enter the commands below that correspond with Netflix. It is crucial that you enter these commands exactly as they are shown below with all spaces, periods, dashes, and capital letters.
For Netflix, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapnetflix.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapnetflix.apk
For HBO, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remaphbo.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remaphbo.apk
For Hulu, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remaphulu.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remaphulu.apk
For PS Vue, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remappsvue.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remappsvue.apk
For Disney+, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapdisney.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapdisney.apk
For Crave, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapcrave.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapcrave.apk
For CTV, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapctv.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapctv.apk
For Freeview Play, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapfreeview.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapfreeview.apk
For DAZN, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapdazn.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapdazn.apk
For TVNOW, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remaptvnow.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remaptvnow.apk
For SonyLiv, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapsony.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapsony.apk
For ZEE5, enter
cp /sdcard/Downloader/remapzee.apk /data/local/tmp/
pm install -i com.amazon.venezia /data/local/tmp/remapzee.apk
- After you enter the commands above and press enter/run after each command, you should see the word “Success” appear after a few seconds.
- You have now installed the Remapper app correctly. Launch it by pressing the corresponding app button on your remote. It may take a few seconds to launch the first time.
- Select the app that you want to be launched when the app button on your remote is pressed. Note that the list may contian some preinstalled system apps that are not actually launchable.
- Select the “EXIT” button and you’re done. The app button on your remote should now open the app that you selected in the previous step.
- If you ever need to change the selected app, you can rest the Remapper app by quickly pressing the corresponding remote app button repeatedly, about 5 to 10 times. Alternatively, you can also reset the Remapper app by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications, selecting the Remapper app, and then selecting Clear Data. If you ever want to remove the remapping or use the app buttons actual app, simply uninstall the Remapper app.
- You’re done. If you want to clean up leftover files that you don’t need, you can go back into the Remote ADB app, connect to 127.0.0.1 as before, and then enter the command
You can also go into the Downloader app and delete the Remapper APK and the Remote ADB APK that you downloaded. You may also uninstall the Remote ADB app, if you’d like. Lastly, you may go into your Fire TV settings and disable ADB Debugging, which is recommended.