The app buttons at the bottom of Fire TV Edition remotes can either be fantastic or useless. They’re great if it’s an app that you use often, but they’re a complete waste if you don’t even have the app that they’re for installed. This guide will show you how to reassign the app buttons to open any app you want. This method uses my Remapper app and works for Netflix, HBO, Hulu, PS Vue, CTV, Crave, DAZN, TVNOW, and other buttons on Fire TV Edition devices from Element, Toshiba, Insignia, Onida, Grundig, JVC, and more.
There are some issues with Remapper that I’m working on fixing, such as compatibility with some Fire TV Edition models. If you have issues, please check the latest in the comments on this post and reply with your experience.
- The app for the button that you are remapping cannot be installed on your Fire TV. For example, if you want the Netflix button to open an app other than Netflix, then you cannot have Netflix installed.
- Buttons for preinstalled apps, like Prime Video, IMDb TV, and Amazon Music, cannot be remapped. This is because there is no way to uninstall preinstalled apps and you cannot remap a button if the button’s app is installed.
- Your PS Vue button likely cannot be remapped. If pressing the PS Vue button opens the Fire TV’s “Live” tab, then your PS Vue button cannot be remapped. Only Fire TVs running an old software version, before Amazon changed how the PlayStation Vue button worked, can remap the PS Vue button.
- You must have the app for the button that you want to remap in your Amazon purchase history. If you are not sure if you have ever downloaded/purchased the app, then press the app button and install the app that the button brings up.
- If the app for the button that you want to remap is installed, you must now uninstall it. Remapping an app button does not work if the actual app for the button is installed on your Fire TV. There is no way to remap an app button and also continue using the original app. For instructions on how to uninstall an app, follow this guide.
- Sideload the Remapper app below that corresponds to the app button that you want to remap. To sideload the app, use the Downloader app and enter the corresponding numeric code in the URL field. If you’ve never sideloaded or used the Downloader app, follow this detailed guide for sideloading.
Remapper for Netflix:
Remapper for HBO:
Remapper for Hulu:
Remapper for PS Vue:
2213(or aftv.news/2213) *See important limitations above
Remapper for Crave:
Remapper for CTV:
Remapper for Freeview Play:
Remapper for DAZN:
Remapper for TVNOW:
Remapper for SonyLiv:
Remapper for ZEE5:
- Once the correct Remapper app is installed, launch it by pressing the corresponding app button on your remote. It may take a few seconds to launch the first time.
- Select the app that you want to be launched when the app butotn on your remote is pressed. Note that the list may contian some preinstalled system apps that are not actually launchable.
- Select the “EXIT” button and you’re done. The app button on your remote should now open the app that you selected in the previous step.
- If you ever need to change the selected app, you can rest the Remapper app by quickly pressing the corresponding remote app button repeatedly, about 5 to 10 times. Alternatively, you can also reset the Remapper app by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications, selecting the Remapper app, and then selecting Clear Data. If you ever want to remove the remapping or use the app buttons actual app, simply uninstall the Remapper app.
I have no way to test my Remapper app on all possible Fire TV Edition remotes. If it doesn’t work for your remote’s app buttons, please leave a detailed comment below with what you tried and what happened, so that I can try to update the Remapper app. If your remote has an app button that is not listed in step 3, please leave a comment telling me which exact Fire TV you have and which exact app button is missing. Including a link to the Fire TV and to the app listing on amazon.com would be helpful.