The Amazon Appstore is growing everyday, but if it’s offerings are not enough for you, here is how to install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire TV. Your Fire TV will have to be rooted to install the Google Play Store. You will also need a USB mouse for one of the steps. Once you have the Google Play Store installed, you will be able to download and install apps from the Play Store directly on your Amazon Fire TV. You will even have access to all of your past purchases from the Google Play Store.
This guide is for the 1st-gen Fire TV running software version 188.8.131.52 or older. For the Fire TV 2, see this newer guide.
First, setup the Xposed Framework…
- Download the Xposed Framework APK (Source/Mirror)
- Sideload the Xposed Framework onto your Fire TV
- Launch “Xposed Installer” on the Fire TV from the Settings > Applications menu
- Select “Framework”
- Select “OK” to dismiss the popup
- Select “Install/Update” to install the framework
- Select “Grant” on the SupreSU popup
- Select “OK” to reboot
Second, setup the HDXPosed Module…
- Download the HDXPosed module (Source/Mirror)
- Sideload the HDXPosed module onto your Fire TV
- After rebooting, launch “Xposed Installer”
- Select “Modules”
- With a mouse connected to the Fire TV, check the “HDXPosed” box in the upper right.
- Exit to the Fire TV Home screen and reboot the Fire TV by holding both “Select” and “Play” on the Fire TV remote for several seconds
Third, setup the Google Play Store…
- Download the four Google APKs from here or here
- Sideload all four APKs onto your Fire TV
- Launch Google Play Store from the Settings > Applications menu
- Select “Existing” to add you Google Account
- Enter your Google Account email and password
- If you have Google’s 2-factor authentication enabled on your Google Account, you will be taken to a browser window where you will need to login again with your authentication code
- Select “Next” on the Backup and restore option screen
- Select “Accept” to accept Google’s terms of service
- Enjoy the Google Play Store
Since the Google Play Store does not know the Fire TV’s capabilities, it marks most apps as incompatible. We’ve written a guide on how to trick the Google Play Store into thinking the Fire TV is a Nexus 7 tablet so that most apps in the Play Store can be installed on the Fire TV. You can find that guide here.