This guide is out of date. Follow THIS updated guide instead.
Since many will be looking for a fresh guide on installing 3rd-party apps like Kodi on Amazon Fire TV devices, now that the new Fire TV Cube has been released, here is a new 2018 all-in-one guide for sideloading apps on any Fire TV device, including the Fire TV Cube, Fire TV boxes 1 and 2, 4K Fire TV pendant, Firestick, and both Element or Toshiba Fire TV Edition televisions.
- Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources” by going to Settings > Device > Developer options on your Fire TV device. Do not enable ADB debugging. It is not necessary for sideloading and will leave your device vulnerable.
- Install and launch the app Downloader from the Amazon Appstore. To do so, just search for “Downloader” on the Fire TV or say “Alexa, search for the app Downloader.”
- If you have a Fire TV Cube, Fire TV 3 Pendant, or Toshiba Fire TV Edition television, you will be asked to grant file access. Select Allow. (If you accidentally selected Deny, then you need to go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > Downloader > Permissions to set Storage to Allow.)
- Select the URL field on the home screen of Downloader and enter the URL to the APK file you want to sideload and select Go. For the latest version of Kodi, enter: bit.ly/kodi176
- Wait for the app APK file to finish downloading. When it finishes downloading, it will automatically ask to be installed. (If you see a connection error, enter the URL you are trying into a phone or computer to see if it is actually working. Many APK download URLs get taken down, so try to find an alternate URL.)
- Select Install to sideload the app. When it finishes installing, select Done and ignore the option to open the app.
- After the app installs, select Delete option to remove the installer file to clear up space on your device. If you appreciate how easy that was, consider donating to Downloader.
- Press and hold the Home button on your remote. When the shortcut menu appears, select Apps.
- Find the app you just installed and highlight it. It will likely be at the very bottom. Press the Menu (☰) button on your remote and select Move to front.
- Press the Home button on your remote and you will find the app you just installed at the front of your home screen. Launch the app from here and it will correctly appear on your Recent row from now on.