How to install and use HBO Max on Amazon Fire TV or Firestick — Avoiding common icon/launch issues

HBO Max is not currently available in the Amazon Appstore for Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, or Fire TV Edition devices. Fortunately, it’s easy to sideload the app and use it as long as you first take a few precautions to avoid common issues with the app. If you simply sideload the app like you would any other APK, you could end up with the wrong icon appearing, the icon not appearing at all, or the app refusing to install altogether. Here’s a step-by-step guide for everything you need to do to have a good HBO Max experience on Fire TV devices.

1. Uninstall HBO Now
    If you have the HBO Now app installed on your device, you need to uninstall it. If you don’t know how to uninstall apps on Fire TV, follow this guide.
  2. Delete HBO Now form Amazon Account
    Go to the Your Apps list on Amazon.com and see if HBO Now is on the list. If it is, select the Actions menu and then select the Delete this app option.
  3. Clear Appstore Data & Cache on Fire TV
    On your Fire TV, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications. Select Appstore from the list and then select both the Clear Data and the Clear Cache options.
  4. Sync Amazon Account on Fire TV
    Now go to Settings > My Account, which is the last settings menu on the far right. From there, select the Sync Amazon Content option and wait a few seconds.
  5. Restart Fire TV
    Restart your Fire TV by going to Settings > My Fire TV > Restart.
  6. Sideload HBO Max
    Sideload the HBO Max app by using the Downloader app and entering the URL bit.ly/firehb
    If you’re not familiar with sideloading and need detailed step-by-step instructions for sideloading with Downloader, follow this guide.
  7. Launch HBO Max
    Once the APK for HBO Max has been downloaded and installed, launch the app from your app list by holding the Home button on your remote and selecting the Apps option. The HBO Max icon should be at the very bottom of the list. If you see an HBO Now icon, instead of an HBO Max icon, then you likely missed a step above. You can either repeat this guide or just use the HBO Now icon because it should still launch HBO Max. If you can’t use your remote in the app, it’s because you installed the wrong version of the app. See here for more info and how to fix it.

1. Noneya says:

Error forbidden try using https of you used http. This is the message when I follow instructions you give of on the url type bit.ly/hbomaxfire. Now I can not get hbo now back that I pay for

• Got to the Browser section in Downloader first and enter the URL there. (This is a bug in the app that I need to fix.)

• Cody says:

Could you also add a way to edit a website instead of clearing the entire line and typing it again?

• I have the exact same frustration. Unfortunately, this is a limitation of Amazon’s on-screen keyboard. There is no way to move the typing cursor. Instead of clearing the entire text, you can delete text (using the Rewind button) up to where you want to start typing, but that’s as good as it gets unless I completely replace the on-screen keyboard with a custom one, which is a lot of work.

• scrappt says:

will say hbo now but its load up as hob max

• Aya Elouri says:

Thanks for mentioning that! I was looking for the icon and couldn’t find it.

• Lore says:

Thank you, I was getting frustrated as I kept downloading and the HBO max icon was not there. Saw this comment and indeed HBO now icon is there and once I clicked on that, HBO max did open.

2. JR says:

Installed great, app works but the icon does not show up. I have to go to the all apps in settings every time I want to run the app. I have a gen1 Fire TV that is up to date on software. Any thoughts on how to get the icon to appear in the recently used or app list from the home screen?

3. Cody says:

The bit.ly website didn’t work for me either.

4. Noneya says:

Installed app as you clarified when I get to point to enter code on app on to my account it states “Sorry The Code Expired Or Is Incorrect, Go Back To Your T.V. And Get The Code Again”

5. Noel Ponce says:

Mine won’t react to my remote.

6. Norman Coe says:

Tried everything and nothing works it opens but that is it.
    tried it 4 times, done trying.

• Norman Coe says:

Does not react to my remote.

• Erik S. says:

Will not respond to my remote either. Gen 2 firestick w/voice remote. Any suggestions developers?

• Peter Cham says:

Same problem.

• Elizabeth Tersigni says:

Same! Won’t respond to my remote either!

• Shelly says:

Same for me! My remote is not working either!

• Shelly says:

I got my remote working!! I’m pretty sure that I was downloading the wrong version of the hbomax!! Make sure your downloading/installing the link with numbers.. 1605001064, and with “universal”, “Android 5.0+”, and “nodpi” to the right of all the numbers. NOT one of the links below it, with the hbomax logo!! Also, I can’t imagine this did anything, I am Sure I was downloading the wrong version, but just in case.. I went ahead and clicked on the 3 lines to launch the hbomax app, like the firetv suggests for you to do after something is installed (instead of launching it the way that is said on here). I was taken to the sign in page, got signed in, and able to use my remote after that!!! I hope this helps you, and you get your remote working!! Let me know!! Bye!!

7. ben says:

it installed and opened fine but how do you get it to do any thin used a logitech wireless keyboard but arrow key dont do anything

8. Frank says:

does this apply the same for hbo go?

9. Paul Manjourides says:

It worked great except for once problem… the icon doesn’t show up in my apps at all. I can find it in the list of apps under ‘Manage Installed Applications’, and I can launch it from there, but there doesn’t seem to be any other trace of it. Any ideas?

10. Red says:

Anyone able to get Spectrum app to work successfully on firestick?
    Could you point me in the right direction, a guide?

11. A Thompson says:

App does not respond time FireTV remote

12. Bethany C Mitchell says:

Has anyone found a fix to it to work with the remote yet? Download and open is just fine but won’t respond to remote.

Thanks!

13. Shelly says:

I got the app installed, but my remote will not work at all in the app! What’s going on with that? I have followed every step. Please help me to get the remote working! Thanks in advance!

14. Frank Materia says:

As someone mentioned above, the particular version of the HBONow app is a factor. I used Aptoide TV app and downlaoded the latest Android TV version of the HBONow app and it works for me. Upon selecting from launcher, instead of going to the main HBONow screen with shows listed (where remote doesnt work), there is an initial login screen to activate the app with your service provider

15. Norman Coe says:

Remote working now Thanks.

I am interested to know if their will be a bookmarker 1 for android boxes or nvidia shield?
    Thanks.

• Bookmarker for Android TV/Shield TV is not a high priority right now, since I’m still ramping back into running the site and apps (there is A LOT of outdated stuff to update behind the scenes) but I do want to bring Bookmarker apps to Android TV/Shield TV eventually.

16. David says:

It won’t let me use my HBO account through the app. It recognizes that it’s an Amazon device. Any workaround on this?

17. Lee says:

I seem to be using the wrong URL. I have tried three different ones but nothing works. Any suggestions for the correct one?

• The correct URL to use is in step 6. (I don’t want to post it in this comment because I will be updating it in the guide anytime a new version is released, so I don’t want an outdated URL to be in this comment.)

18. Ryan says:

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you! Other websites give these steps but not the part where you delete the previous HBO apps. Thanks!

19. Mark David says:

Thanks so much for posting and sharing.

20. Caitlin says:

I cannot tell you how much I love you right now, all hbo streaming on roku and amazon is now leaving at the end of July and I about flipped with anger. But you have saved me, thank you *crying from relief*

21. Sean says:

I followed the instructions perfectly and it installed properly, but I can’t find the app in the Apps section. It for not appear at all. I do have HBO Go, do I need to uninstall that?

22. jimmy says:

Worked for me!!!

23. Christine says:

Thank you, THANK YOU, for such excellent detailed instructions on this!! I am the least tech-smart person ever, and by following them step-by-step I was able to get the app installed and running perfectly on both my Fire TV and my Firestick.

24. DenaK says:

I downloaded it and everything is good but it change the interface of the fire stick images and app image. How do I get it back to regular?

25. Marv says:

Hi, When putting on hbomax app on Firestick for the 1st time, who do I say is my provider if i signed on directly via hbomax, to get their special pricing for a yr….thanks

26. J. Engelhardt says:

Thank you!! I remember in school sitting in front of the first computer I ever saw and it had what looked like a “telephone modem” like the one in the movie “War Games”. My daughter had to install my Firestick and teach me how to use streaming four years ago when I cut the cord.
    Your instructions were seamless. Thank you!

27. Dan says:

i followed these instruction but anyone else have problems with the app not appearing along side other installed apps?

28. Elaine says:

Hi – I already subscribe to HBO through Amazon. If I do this, do I have to cancel my HBO through Amazon, then setup a new account with HBO Max and pay them directly? Not sure how to go about this. Any help would be really appreciated – thank you!

29. Trina says:

Regarding Step 3, Clear Appstore Data & Cache on Fire TV. When I go to “clear data” I receive this intimidating message: “All application data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, and databases.” Will this affect all my other apps?

• Erik Krawczuk says:

I didn’t want to do that step either for i too did not want to risk other apps. It says HBO Now for the icon of listed apps but when you click it is definitely HBO Max. Hope this helps

30. robin says:

This worked so well for me a few weeks ago. Can you also set up an article for the peacock tv app?

31. Jobey says:

I followed the directions and have an issue with the icon.

Deleted HBO Now from Fire TV. Deleted HBO Now from my Amazon account. Cleared data/cache of Appstore app and restarted Fire TV. Sideloaded HBO Max. Launched HBO Max. All worked.

However, the HBO Max app shows up in my App and Channels list as the symbol for the Apps (3 squares and a +) and in the home page, it shows up as a broken image icon.

I’ve tried uninstalling the app and going through the steps 4 times (except HBO Now is not in my Amazon account anymore so no need to delete) and always the same result. Also tried restarting the FireTV a few times and still no HBO Max icon.

• Jobey says:

Also, to note, I sideloaded the Peacock app also and its icon appeared right away.

• Cedric Thomas says:

Jobey, I second your comment, this is my first day trying and my experience is exactly like yours. If it matters, my HBO subscription doesn’t cancel off my account until tomorrow even though it has just magically disappeared off my subscription list today so I’ll keep trying for the next 2 days and update this post with the results. Thank you for posting and keep us updated as well !!!

32. Erik Krawczuk says:

I followed all the steps to a t get the HBO Max icon but when i click it and go to sign in the code it gives to go to sign in link does not work. Am I doing something wrong?! I see things posted about remote not working is that related to it not working? Any help on what to do will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

33. Holly says:

Keep getting “Error connection lost” when trying to install.

34. Terryj says:

I’ve gone through the tutorial 3 times. Never had HBO Now. Always just watched HBO through the ATTVNow app, and on the HBOGo app on my iPad.

It loads but it will not put the icon into my applications. I have also moved it to my plugged in USB STICK AND BACK, nothing it still will not place an icon on the homepage or in apps.

• Frank says:

I had the same problem as you. I installed the app without removing HBO GO from my Fire stick. I cleared the cache and data and synchronized as instructed. I then uninstalled HBO GO and it shows on the app or recently used. So I didn’t have to go through settings anymore. If it disappears again I just clear the cache and data again and sync again. When I installed Peacock HBO Max icon disappeared again so I cleared the cache and data and synched. Oh and restarted Everytime I did that. Everything is back to normal.

35. Frank says:

One other thing I only used HBO GO through Cable Subscriber because I am one of the few who still pays for Premium Cable but just like to use apps everywhere I go when needed.

36. Mike says:

I had HBOGo, and uninstalled it and even remived from the cloud. The HBOMax sideload worked, but I can only find the icon in the list of apps under “Manage Installed Applications.” I can launch it from there, but it does not appear elsewhere. I cleared the data and cache, and restarted the Firestick, but no change. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

(For what it’s worth, your instructions on sideloading Peacock worked like a charm. Thanks for that too!)

37. Shelly says:

I assume that (sadly) we will lose access to the HBO MAX app if HBO does get taken off of the Amazon Fire TV on August 1st?

38. Stephen Campbell says:

What’s the trick to signing in?

39. Dominic Rose says:

I’m getting a content not available message when I’m in the HBOmax app and try to play anything. When I googled, the HBO max help page just says that if you’re getting that message it’s not compatible with your device. Any suggestions?

40. andrew says:

Thank you so much for this, it works great! I followed the directions exactly, but I have the icon for HBO now. When I click that icon, the HBOMax app starts. Not a huge deal, but how do I get the right icon on the firestick?

41. Shelly says:

Do you know if we’ll lose access to HBOMAX if HBO gets taken off of the Fire TV on August 1st?

• Frank Tovar says:

Probably not because the Firestick is based on a modified Android otherwise we would not be able to install it in the first place and it is available for Android TV and phones.

42. Nathan says:

Downloaded everything great. However I can’t get a code to work to sign in. I keep getting message that code doesn’t work and to go back to TV for new code. Help!

43. Don Allen says:

For Fire TV, why do you have to delete HBO NOW before installing HBO MAX?

44. PCA says:

Thank you so much! Yours are the only instructions that work (and they’re the most concise, too). The others (listed by Google ahead of yours) all gave me the “forbidden” error. Gonna take care of this on the other TV and make a contribution at the same time!

45. Frank Tovar says:

Quick question. Can this be side loaded on to A Kindle Fire HD 10? I noticed I could not find the downloader app that I used on the Fire TV and 4K Firestick. Can I use an alternative? HBO GO is on the Kindle. Thanks

46. Frank Tovar says:

Nevermind I installed it directly from the Silk Browser and installed it without a problem. Works on Kindle Fire HD 10

47. carol says:

hola! he descargado y abierto pero surge un error, algo asi como que no es la region de usa? o algo asi y no sale de alli por lo tanto lo desinstalado. sera incompatible para españa esta version o algo asi?

48. Debra Raymer says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Carefully followed your instructions, and it is playing as I write this. DirecTV worked like a charm.

49. MRight says:

Worked perfect !!! Thank you and very
    GlAD to have you back.

50. Dan W says:

Wow! It works on my Amazon Cube 2nd gen. First time too!
    Huge thanks for this wonderful assistance!
    May the wind be at your back.

51. Mcgee says:

For me, it seems to have installed correctly, but, when I try to launch it, there’s a black screen, and then it’s back to the Home screen. Not sure if anyone else has experienced that, but, if it sounds familiar, I’d love to know how to get around it.

• Mcgee says:

Never mind – it looks like I was just being a little impatient. It just took a few minutes to kick in. Thanks very much!

52. Greg says:

Everything works up until the Install. It starts to install but then say “not installed”

53. Jay says:

What about kindle fire tablet?

54. John Parker says:

Works great post August 1.

FWIW in addition to HBO Go which I removed, in the “Your Apps” list on Amazon.com, I had an old app from 2016 just called “HBO” which was in the cloud but not installed on my Fire Stick. I didn’t remove that. Now on the Fire, the icon shows up as “HBO” but starts HBO Max. I think “HBO” may have been an old version of HBO Now?

Anyway steps 1 & 2 apply if you have HBO Go or HBO Now.