How to fix Remote Not Working issues with HBO Max on Amazon Fire TV

Several people are commenting on my guide for installing HBO Max on a Fire TV with issues that their remote is not working in the app. The app installs just fine and launches, but once in the app, they can’t navigate with the remote control. Simply put, the issue is that they/you have installed the phone/tablet version of the app, instead of the TV version of the app. Here’s how to verify the issue and fix it.

To verify which version of the app you have installed, launch it and look at the navigation menu. If you see a horizontal row of icons in the upper left corner, then you have the (correct) TV version installed. If you see a vertical column of icons in the upper left corner, then you have the (wrong) tablet/phone version installed.

The TV version of the HBO Max app has a version code that starts with 16########, while the tablet/phone version has a version code that starts with 3#######. This is different from the version name, which is currently 50.1.0.64 for both versions, which is the source of the confusion. To fix the issue, simply uninstall the wrong app and install the correct version. If you need instructions for how to uninstall the app, follow this guide. Then, use the URL bit.ly/firehb in the Downloader app, which takes you to a direct link to the correct TV version APK file. A detailed guide for sideloading HBO Max, witht he correct download link, can be found here.

1. ben says:

follwoed all the steps but when downloading from downloader app getting connection lost error

2. ben says:

nevermind it works

3. Steven says:

Elias,
    Have you seen a fix yet for the 4K firestick home button not working. I have read a lot on Reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/cx7php/home_button_stopped_working/ and it looks like it is a software issue. The only fix that works right now is to factory reset the firestick, but the problem randomly returns a few weeks later.

• Interesting. This is the first time I’m hearing about it. Given that the thread is 10 months old, we would have heard about this while I was working for Amazon if it was a huge widespread issue. That makes me think it might be a specific app or configuration that is causing the issue.

I wish I could replicate the issue so that I could try to figure it out. What I’d do when it happens next is start force quitting apps, one by one, to see if the Home button works again. You could even sideload a task manager to see if killing a system app/process returns the button as well.

If you’re looking for a quick fix, try holding SELECT and PLAY for 10 seconds to restart the Fire TV. That might bring the button back.

• Steven says:

Thanks for the reply Elias. I did try your suggestions and unfortunately force stopping each application did not help at all. I also tried the restarting the device with the key combination, but that did not help either. Is there a specific task manager that you recommend that I try? I just do not want to reformat my firestick again because that would require me to reinstall a lot of apps and passwords. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. A weird problem also is that the voice recognition also does not work when this happens and if I use the fire tv app, the home button also does not work. I have ruled out any physical issues with the remote.

4. EDUARDO VEGA says:

Working fine but I can’t find the icon for the menu. I use it to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>HBOMax

5. Niki says:

I was able to install on my fire tablet but when I open max it’s weirdly zoomed in so you can only see the top left corner. Also, you can’t scroll. I used bit.ly/firehb to install it on my tablet. Previously, I had tried using several other addresses to install but always have the same issue. The app works fine on my TV. Any one else hsve this issue?

6. Katrina says:

I am late in the game but I just wanted to thank you for this. It worked perfectly. Thank you!