How to Fix Missing or Broken Icons for Sideloaded Apps on Amazon Fire TV

There appears to be a bug on select Amazon Fire TV devices that prevents the icon of some sideloaded apps to display correctly on the Home screen and Apps screen. Instead of the app icon appearing, a gray icon with a slash through it appears. The bug seems to only affect apps that store their APK icon in a specific way, which is why some sideloaded apps are not affected. Until Amazon fixes the bug, there is a way to make broken icons appear and it involves modifying the APK itself. Here’s how to get around the issue and make icons appear.

From what I’ve been able to determine, it seems like apps that store their app icon in the /res/mipmap… directories of the APK, instead of the /res/drawable… directories, are affected by this bug. For example, Kodi is unaffected but HBO Max is affected. I’ve also only seen this bug occur on the 2nd-gen Fire TV Cube, so it may be that only that one device is affected right now or, more likely, only Fire OS 7 devices are affected. Either way, the only solution I’ve found is to modify the affected APK by moving the app icon from /mipmap to /drawable directory.

If the missing icon doesn’t bother you too much, you should probably just wait for a software update to fix the issue. That’s because you have to modify every APK individually to fix the issue and you’ll need to do it each time you update the sideloaded app with a new version. Every APK is created differently, so these instructions might not apply universally to all APKs and some APKs just can’t be modified at all. In other words, this solution is a very crude and finicky bandage to the issue, but I wanted to provide some sort of solution because a lot of people have been asking about how to fix this issue.

1. Download and install APK Editor Studio on a Mac or Windows PC. You’ll also need to download the affected APK onto your computer as well.
  2. Launch APK Editor Studio
  3. Select “Open Apk” and load the APK that you want to modify/fix.
  4. On the bottom-right of the app, right-click on the “XHDPI” icon and select “Save Resource As.” (Note that you should only need to follow these steps for the “XHDPI” version of the icon, but if your APK doesn’t have an “XHDPI” version or you run into issues, you may need to do this for all listed icon versions.)
  5. At this point you should see that the icon is in a directory that starts with “mipmap” so we want to save it in an equivilant directory that starts with “drawable.” Go up one level in the directory tree to the “res” directory and in there you should find a “drawable-xhdpi” directory. Select it and save the icon in the “drawable-xhdpi” directory and be sure to keep the name as “ic_launcher.” (Note that if you do not see a “drawable-xhdpi” directory, then either create it or place the icon in the next closest directory, such as the “drawable-xxhdpi” or “drawable-hdpi” directory.)

6. Lastly, you need to modify the Android Manifest file so that it specifies the icon is in the “drawable” directory and not in the “mipmap” directory. Do this by first selecting the “File System” tab in the very bottom-left and then double-click the “AndroidManifest.xml” file to open it.
  7. Near the top of the file, find the line that starts with “<application” and scroll to the right until you find the section of the line that has “android:icon” in it. The line will probably say android:icon=”@mipmap/ic_launcher” so you want to replace “mipmap” with “drawable” so that the line now reads android:icon=”@drawable/ic_launcher”. Be sure not to delete the “@” or modify any other part of the line.
  8. Close and save the Andorid Manifest file using the small “x” in AndroidManifest.xml tab in the top-center of the screen.
  9. You’re done, so click “Save APK” and give the APK a new file name. (Note that if you get an Error in the top-left when trying to save the APK, your best bet is to close everything and follow the guide again from the start. There is also a possibility that the APK you are working on simply cannot be modified. To test this, try just opening the APK in APK Editor Studio and then immediately saving it without any modifications. If you get an error, then the APK can’t be modified.)
  10. This modified APK has a new signature that no longer matches the original APK, so you will not be able to install it as an update to the original APK. This means that you must uninstall the original APK from your Fire TV before you’ll be able to sideload this new modified APK.

1. Frank Tovar says:

This is my set up and have the broken icon as well but only after I installed Peacock. It worked before I installed Peacock.
    Platform Toshiba Fire TV Home Version 6200198.1
    Fire OS 6.2.6.9 (NS6269/2372

However I just click on the HBO button on the remote and it loads with no problems. I will just leave it as is for now as long as it works. I appreciate your efforts and time. Thank you

• I haven’t been able to replicate the issue on a Toshiba Fire TV Edition television, so most likely, if only your HBO app icon is missing, it has to do with how you installed that app. HBO is a special case because of how it replaces HBO Now but uses the same APK package name. Look through my guide for sideloading HBO carefully to make sure you did all the steps I lay out, like deleting purchase history on amazon.com, clearing Appstore cache/data, syncing your device, etc…

• Frank Tovar says:

Thank you. As I stated before the icon was there before I installed Peacock. After I installed Peacock it became broken. Not sure if Peacock affected the HBO Icon but it’s ok as long as it works by clicking the broken Icon or HBO button on the remote control. I need to double check if I had that issue with the 4K Firestick. I didn’t pay attention if it disappeared on that one. Thank you

2. TechyChris says:

Hello Elias,
    I’ve tried using this process in the past to modify the icons on your “BOOKMARKER” apps (which are awesome) but could never get it to work.
    I’m sure you’ve heard in the past how great it would be to have custom icons for Bookmarker, the OCD in me just can’t get past the Generic 1,2,3, icons etc. Do you know if there is a minimum OS level required for APK Editor to work with Fire TV First Generation?

• The reason why modifying the Bookmarker app icon didn’t work for you, and the reason why there is no way for me to make it so users can change the app icon for my Bookmarker apps, is because Fire TVs pull the icon of official apps (i.e., apps in the Amazon Appstore) from an Amazon server and not from the app/APK itself. Even if you modify the icon in the APK of an official app, the Fire TV will still use the icon image stored on Amazon’s servers for that app.

If you want to modify the Bookmarker app icon, you need to delete the Bookmarker app from your list of purchased apps on amazon.com. Then uninstall the Bookmarker app from your Fire TV, clear cache/data for the Appstore app on Fire TV, sync account data on Fire TV, restart the Fire TV, then finally sideload a Bookmarker APK with the icon modified.

• TechyChris says:

Thanks for the info, I think I did try using a sideloaded app but I still couldn’t get it to work, it was a year ago maybe I’ll try again.

3. DaveA says:

Thanks Elias for a very informative write up. The missing icon issue has been bugging me for some time now. I can confirm that this workaround does indeed work perfectly.
    Let’s hope that a future firmware update for the Fire Cube 2nd Gen will address the issue. The recent 7.2.1.6 update does not resolve the issue as yet.
    Another side issue is when using AppStarter for instance, right clicking on an app icon still doesn’t allow the Uninstall option with the Fire Cube 2nd Gen. However, it does work with the Fire TV Stick 4K.
    Perhaps this issue has a workaround or pending update.

4. Ollie says:

One of the problems i’m having with this method is that the relevant app (TVZion) doesn’t load and comes up with an error. I think because the apk signature doesn’t match what it’s expecting. If anyone has a way round that i’d be very grateful

5. Gene Clark says:

Any idea what causes the icons not to appear in the first place? Some sideloaded apps show up fine while others are blank. I’ve narrowed mine down to just TiviMate and TV Zion which are both updated frequently so not sure this will be worth having to modify the code, uninstall original app then reinstall modded one followed by needing to setup Debrid and Trakt plus other settings repeatedly. I must say though I’ve been dealing with this issue for many months and you’re the only one who has had any clue how to fix it. SO GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK AT THE SITE!!! Missed your emails and knowledge.