In recent updates to the Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Stick Lite, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Fire TV Cube, and Fire TV Smart TV, Amazon has hidden/removed the Developer Options menu where you can enable ADB debudding and enable installing apps from unknown sources, such as Downloader. These instructions show you how to unhide/reveal the Developer Options menu.
If you’re using a Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, or Fire TV Cube, go to: Settings > My Fire TV > About. If you’re using a Fire TV Smart TV, go to: Settings > Device & Software > About. Once there, repeatedly select the first menu item, until a countdown message appears near the bottom. After selecting the first item about 7 times, the message “No need, you are already a developer” will appear at the bottom to indicate you are done. Go back one menu to find the newly revealed “Developer Options” menu.
- Go to Settings by selecting the gear icon in the main navigation menu.
- Select the “My Fire TV” option. (If you are using a Fire TV Smart TV, then select the “Device & Software” option.)
- Select the “About” option.
- Repeatedly select the first option, which should be the name of your device, such as “Fire TV Stick” or “Fire TV Stick 4K.” You will need to select it about 7 times. As you select it, you’ll see countdown text appear near the bottom of the screen indicating how many more times you need to select it.
- Once you’ve selected the first option enough times, the text “No need, you are already a developer” will appear at the bottom to indicate that developer mode has been enabled.
- You can now back out one menu level by pressing the BACK button on your remote and you will see the “Developer Options” menu item. From there you can turn on ADB debugging or enable installing unknown apps.
Thanks to Elias as always.
All my FireStick 4K’s still have the Developer Options showing,
They all had them enabled before.
I had also just Updated to the new version 7 yesterday with the new Icon menu.
This is really similar to the way you activate developer option on classic android OS on tv platforms.
So far (June 20) the update FireOS 184.108.40.206 on FireTVStick Lite is the culprit.
Add Elias’ FireTVStick 3rd Gen
Techdoctor UK has noticed the Lite uodates FireOS again and the Develooer option is restored. He didn’t mention the version number but it is current.
Thanks for this trick! Love it.
Not sure where to post this… but does anyone know of any way to get my Fire TV (Cube though I assume it happens on all Fire TV devices) running Plex App to stream Music to stop it from shutting off my screen after a certain amount of time? It takes me back to the Home Screen (music is still playing in the background) and I have to re-run Plex App (which then stops my music and goes to the Plex Home Screen). I don’t know if this is a setting issue, or what, but I have Screen Savers turned OFF so I don’t know why it does this. I just want to play my Albums, and see the Album Art on my screen while it plays, and not shut off my screen after X amount of time. :|
i cant download anything onmy firestick i downloaded downloader put acouple of apps on itnow icant download anything.
I have the same issue not sure why people are blaming Developer Options Since to Me That Has Always Been There. Could It Be Downloaders Itself ?
com a nova atualização essa opção saiu!
My fire cube does not have developer Options nor is it under about?
Worked perfectly. Thank you
Thank you one million times!!!!!!
Perfetto, avevo ripristinato la Fire tv e non avevo più la voce sviluppatore.
Thanks your an absolute star
Thank YOU!!! Saved me from 1 too many times of misplacing the damn remote!!
Very helpful for me it’s good
Can’t get apps from unknown sources to come up. It gets to install app from unknown sources but then Nick jr comes up and only gives me the option of on or off. Downloaded doesn’t come up
I do not have My Fire TV in my settings.
Inputs, Notifications, Account & Profile Settings, Network, Display & Audio, Applications, Equipment Control, Live TV, Remotes & Bluetooth Devices, Alexa, Preferences, Sleep Timer, Device & Software, Accessibility, Help.
Life saver!! My new stick had hidden Developer Options. Easy peasy thanks to you!
now how to remove this?