How to Enable or Disable the Profile Selection at wake on an Amazon Fire TV and Firestick

Amazon recently added the option for Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks to always ask for a profile to be selected when the device wakes up. This was done so that the Fire TV’s regular interface can be locked out by default. If you want this capability or if you find it annoying, here is how to turn it on or off.

1. Go to your Fire TV’s Settings area and scroll all the way to the right to find the “Child Profiles” menu. Note that, as of the writing of this guide, this option is not currently available on Amazon Fire TV Cubes (both 1st and 2nd-gen) or on 1st-gen Fire TV Sticks.
  2. Scroll down to the “Show Profiles at Wak” option and turn it off if you never want to be asked to select a profile or turn it on if you want to Fire TV to always display the profile selection screen when it wakes up or is powered on. Note that you may need to first create at least one child profile before this option is available.

1. Gerardo Madrigal says:

My fire tv doesn’t have that option and I want to turn off profile selection

2. Dylan Baxter says:

Seriously, why does Amazon have to remind me I’m a miserable loser doomed to die alone every time I start Prime Video?

3. Kevin says:

Mine doesn’t have that option for either. I suspect it may be because I actually do have child profiles created. It’s damn annoying though. I can’t use the echo now to launch shows if it isn’t awake because it prevents it due to these profiles.

4. Stevie says:

I stumbled upon the on/off switch because I couldn’t see it at first. I think… Select your normal adult profile first, go to the top where you select home,live etc… Go all the way past settings where there is a people icon. Select that people icon and at the bottom there is “child profile settings” it’s in there.

5. Renee says:

What is wake on,?? I did not set this on my firestick snd now I can’t even open any profile. How do I change this. Very annoying.

• Porsha says:

Did you find out how to turn it off? I’m having the same problem. I can’t get into any profiles or the child settings.

• Kelly says:

Okay, you have to turn on the firetv for the children first. It looks like its done since the profiles show, but you have to complete the setup. After you do that, you will be able to adjust the child profile settings including the “show profiles at wake”.