How to default to HDMI Input when a Fire TV Smart TV is turned on — Works for Insignia, Toshiba, Grundig, JVC, Onida, Croma, and more

A very common question among Fire TV Smart TV owners, formerly known as Fire TV Edition TVs, is if its possible for the TV to be powered on to something other than the Home screen, since most “dumb” TVs just show the last input you used when they turn on. Thankfully, the answer it’s yes and it’s the case for nearly all Fire TV Smart TV models, including those from AKAI, AmazonBasics, Croma, Grundig, HomeX, Insignia, JVC, OK, Onida, and Toshiba.

The only Fire TV Smart TV models that do not support this option are the original models released in 2017 by Element and Westinghouse. Fire TV Smart TVs from those brands can, unfortunately, only power on to the Home screen. The one other catch is for early Toshiba and Insignia Fire TV Smart TVs from 2018 that have never been online to update. The option to change how the TV powers on was added in 2018 with software update 6.2.4.2, so if your TV is running an older software version than that, you will need to connect it to the internet and allow it to update before this capability is available.

To change how the TV turns on, go to the Settings > Display & Sounds > Power Controls > Power On menu. From there, change the option to “Last Input” and the TV will always go to the last input that was used when it is turned on. There is no way to select a specific input to power on to everytime. To go back to the default behavior, just change the Power On option back to the “Home” setting.

1. Eyoale Teshager says:

I wish there was also a way to use the TV button on the remote to switch to a certain HDMI for Cable or satellite receivers.

• Patsy says:

There is… on the Home Screen in the bottom left corner, there’s an icon of a tv screen with an arrow. Select it to change the input. When you turn the TV on, or from the home screen, press the left side of the toggle ring. Then press the bottom of the toggle ring. You’ll land on the Input icon. Then push enter. Use the toggle ring to select up or down.

2. Sean G Theodos says:

If you hold down the information button(the one that has the 3 lines stacked on top of each other) it should bring up the menu your looking for. Make sure your remote doesn’t have a input button on it. My $12 fire tv remote does but I ordered it from Amazon.

3. Mike Hutchinson says:

My

4. Mike Hutchinson says:

My Amazon fire stick does not have a power on option under display & Sounds.
    Is there another way to default to usb one when turning it on?

5. Henry says:

On my 55 inch NS-FFF30… tv I had to use the Settings Icon on the Home screen to see the full menu. The button on the remote for settings only gave me a partial list and the Picture options were all greyed out.

6. Bruce says:

That option is not available under that heading on my new Insignia 50″ F30 fire tv, so where would I look.

• RONDA says:

When you’re on the home screen to select the input there’s a settings menu at the top and you can get to it from there.

7. patrick anderson says:

I bought my Mum a Toshiba Fire Tv to replace her dead RCA Dumb tv.

It’s been a nightmare as she cant drive it with the Amazon interface. She only watches the “yawn” Hallmark channel all day long. I constantly get calls from her to put it back on the hdmi input from the cable box. I really wish you could get a dumb remote for fire tv’s

I was trying to find a dumb tv and or roku when I found this article so I’m going to give a a punt and see if it works.

8. Frank Ladak says:

I don’t have Display & Sounds menu under settings, what to do?

9. Larry W says:

Settings for Display & Sounds does not look like screen shot when connected with the Fire Cube. Do I need to connect to the TV first? Love these answers that are still out there but are no longer applicable. Original poster should keep up with current level of Fire Cube, etc. and adjust answer accordinly. Typical problem with internet searches. MOST are out of date and worthless.

10. Steve says:

I don’t have Display & Sounds menu under settings, what to do?

11. James collins says:

I have the tv and sleep settings on my remote but nether brings up to get antenna or sleep settings Help