Amazon has added the ability for the Fire TV Cube to switch your TV to its antenna tuner and to change channels. This comes as an addition to the already present ability to control cable and satellite set-top boxes. Simply configuring the Fire TV Cube to control your TV, as is done during the initial equipment setup process, isn’t enough to control OTA channels, since the Fire TV needs to know where you live and what channel lineup you receive. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to add antenna channel switching capabilities to your Fire TV Cube.
- Go to the “Settings” area of your Fire TV.
- Select the “Equipment Control” menu.
- Select the “Manage Equipment” option. If the option is not present, you’ll need to first go through the initial equipment setup to configure basic TV control.
- Select “Add Equipment” even though you’ll be controlling your TV, which is already present on the list.
- Select the “Live TV” option. If the option is not present, it means your Fire TV has not yet received the software update needed to control Antenna channels. Try checking for updates under: Settings > My Fire TV > About > Check for Updates.
- Select “TV” assuming your OTA HD antenna is connected directly to your TV.
- Next, you’ll need to enter your ZIP Code. This is neccessary so that the Fire TV knows which channel numbers correspond to which channel names, since that differes around the world.
- Now, select the source of your channels from the list presented. You’ll likely be selecting “Antenna,” but the Fire TV does support other sources that are connected directly to your TV without the use of a set-top box.
- The Fire TV will verify with you that it can correctly switch between sources and you’ll be all done. You can now change channels by saying “Alexa, tune to [#]” or “Alexa, tune to [channel name].” If the voice commands don’t work correctly, try adding “… on TV” to the end of the voice request.
- Lastly, if channel switching isn’t working correctly, you can find some advanced configuration options under: Settings > Equipment Control > Manage Equipment > Antenna/Box.
Will this work with Tivo as my Set Top box? Also where is CNN broadcast as an antenna channel… I dont think that is correct.
This guide is specific to antenna channels, since support for those channels is what was just added, but Amazon has merged Antenna, Cable Box, and Satellite channel control into a single option called “Live TV.” So the same steps are followed regardless of which source you select. That’s why it mentions CNN as an example at the end.
Does this work with HDHomeRun devices?
No, this is only for the built-in tuner in TVs and for set-top boxes.
Will this work with the 4KFIRETV stick too?
No, currently it’s only available on the Fire TV Cubes.
It doesn’t seem to work if you have a recast on the network.
Got the update yesterday and mine works with Recast.
Are you able to switch channels using voice command on the TV Tuner of your television?
I thought I could, but now if I say “Tune to channel 8.1” it is only doing it through the Recast. If I switch the input to the TV tuner, I can say “Channel up” or “Channel down”, but if I ask to tune to a specific channel, it switches back to Recast. I need to play with it more to see if it will work with the tuner.
Is this still rolling out? I have the orig fire TV cube. I’ve checked and gotten updates recently but I’m still not seeing live TV when I add equipment. Thanks any info be great
Same for me… I also have the original fire tv cube as well. I suspect this feature may only be for 2nd generation cubes…. Perhaps Amazon nudging us original cube owners to upgrade in a surreptitious fashion.
I agree, was hoping someone on here could confirm!
I have the OG FTV Cube. It works for me.
Have both first & second gen Cubes. As of July 16 PM (Eastern) & after update check, neither generation has this option.
Then is it just more waiting or does it only show up in specific cases?
Showed up this morning (July 17) on one 1st Gen Cube but nothing on remaining 1st & 2nd Gen Cubes.
Lucky U! Still waiting here!
There was a message about the update on my first gen cube yesterday, 7-18-19. It works with my TV. I also have Fire TV Recast.
Once the setup is complete, do the antenna channels show up on the Live TV tab?
In Canada and using the cube but can’t get the shaw cablebix (blue curve) to change channels via Alexa. I can say channel up or down but that’s all. Very frustrating. Would the above description apple ti thud situation?