Now that the Amazon Echo Show has gained both Amazon Silk and Firefox browsers, it’s once again possible to watch YouTube videos on the device. Unfortunately, the mobile interface of YouTube that loads in these browsers isn’t exactly ideal for a device like the Echo Show. Thankfully, with just a little bit of initial setup, it’s possible to cast YouTube videos from mobile devices, like iPhones and Android phones, to the Echo Show. If you don’t mind using a phone to start and control videos, casting is a much better way to watch YouTube videos on the Echo Show. Here’s how to get it working.
You only have to complete the steps below once for YouTube casting to work on the Echo Show. The setup can be done with either Amazon Silk or Firefox, but I strongly suggest you use Firefox because, at this time, it handles fullscreen YouTube much better than Silk. The only minor inconvenience with this procedure is that you will need to manually load youtube.com/tv in Firefox on the Echo Show every time you want to start casting YouTube videos, so be sure to bookmark the page when you get to that step in the guide.
- Open Firefox on the Echo Show by saying “Alexa, open Firefox” and enter the URL youtube.com/tv (Do not use the YouTube bookmark that is already present.) Once it loads, tap the thumb tack icon next to the URL field in Firefox to bookmark the page. In the future, you will need to load this page anytime you want to start casting YouTube videos.
- Once this TV version of YouTube loads, drag the screen up so that Firefox’s URL field and buttons disappear and the YouTube interface fills the screen. Tap the circular user icon in the lower left to sign in to your YouTube account.
- Once you’re signed in to YouTube, tap the Settings (gear) icon in the lower left corner. Then select “Link with TV code” from the Settings menu.
- Open the official YouTube app on your iOS or Android mobile device. Open the Settings menu and select the “Watch on TV” option. Select “Enter TV Code” and enter the code shown on your Echo Show to link the two devices together for casting.
- You’re all done. Your Echo Show will be listed as “YouTube TV” under your mobile device’s casting menu. Select it as the casting device and use your mobile device to start a video. The video will begin playing on the Echo Show and you can control playback using either your mobile device or the Echo Show screen.
Your mobile device and the Echo Show will stay linked as long as you don’t log out of your YouTube account on the Echo Show. Just remember that you always need to load youtube.com/tv on the Echo Show first before you can start casting.