Give Fire TV Ads the finger with these Google/Android TV Streaming Device Black Friday Deals — Chromecast, Shield TV, & Onn

There’s no better way to show Amazon what you think of its full-screen autoplaying Fire TV video ads than to jump ship and replace your Fire TV with a Google TV or Android TV streaming device. Black Friday is the best time to do it with great prices across the board. A good alternative to the 1080p Fire TV Stick is the 1080p Chromecast HD for $19.95, which is 33% off its regular price, or the 4K Walmart Onn Streaming Box for $19.88. An Alternative to the Fire TV Stick 4K or 4K Max would be the Chromecast 4K for $37.98, which is 24% off its regular price of $49.99. If you want the best of the best and an alternative to the Fire TV Cube, you can’t go wrong with either the Shield TV for $124.99, which is 17% off its regular price of $149.99, or the Shield TV Pro for $169.99, which is 15% off its regular price of $199.99. There are also countless deals on Google TV Smart TVs from Sony, TCL, Vizio, Hisense, and others that, frankly, put the Fire TV Smart TV selection to shame when it comes to high-end TVs.

1. Craig S. says:

Oh don’t be silly and simply stop there on Android TV, Elias? I’m sure there’s some good deals on Roku and Apple TV stuff from various retailers too! If forced ads are a foreshadowing of things to come? Well? Maybe it really is time to drift away from the Fire TV platform entirely? Least the app icons would be bigger!

• I considered including Roku and Apple TV, but I’ve found in the past that readers of this site care very little about them. We’re all mostly a bunch of Android users around here, so I decided to just keep this post short and to the point.

• luthersman says:

I’ve loved the site for years and I switched to Apple tv and to infuse from kodi last year. I got tired of the ads, but still use the fire stick 4k max for hotel rooms or vacations.

• Michael says:

Elias,
        I think we are starting to get agnostic about brands and only want to find the best for our needs.
        Sometimes that does not include an Amazon device. But you are right about android on it’s various flavors.

2. Charlie says:

Like your attitude, Elias!

3. Peter says:

Very timely article. My Fire TV Stick 4K just started showing the full screen ads. I didn’t even skip them. Instead, I pulled the power and connected my old Chromecast that was sitting in a drawer for the last couple of years. I was surprised how quickly it updated and was ready to go. And I noticed how much I missed the clean UX.

4. Nate says:

And with one fell swoop (and a forced full screen advertisement on boot) the emergence of Audacious Elias was seen. Love the title of this one, Elias! I have been eyeing a Shield Pro as an alternative for a while, so perhaps this is a great time to pull the trigger. How I wish there had been a hardware refresh since 2019, as that’d be a no brainer for me to buy it. Thanks for heads up!

5. Michael says:

Readers of the AFTVnews should not be considering streaming as an either/or. If you have 4 HDMI inputs, fill them as your needs change. There is no rule that requires you to use an Amazon FTV device anymore than an Apple, Roku or Onn streamer.

An Onn 4K for 20.00 will get Android TV and casting from your android device. Apple TV prices are dropping with massive storage and AirPlay for your iPhone or MacBook/iMac. Neither is available by default on a Fire TV stick/Cube. So go with what your needs are. If that is giving Amazon the one finger salute, so be it.

If you have a family member or co-worker that is a Walmart + member, you can get a referral from them that will pay for an Onn 4K. You also get free Paramount Plus.

Both android and Apple are much easier to get apps for and the real reason we are using streaming as opposed to the cable or sat budget busting services. With 32 or 64Gb of storage on an Apple TV, you will never run out of storage space ever again.

You have a button on your HDTV remote. Most likely says “Input”. It really should be called “Choice”. Antenna for over the air free, live, local broadcasts in HD and HDMI inputs for internet content of your choice.

Your extra laptop can also be used to go anywhere in the internet with just a $6 dollar cord on your TV.

6. Raymond says:

I really don’t mind it ads. In fact I kinda like it because it makes something happen when I turn on the TV with Alexa instead of just sitting there. Anyway I hope that amazon never moves away from android on the fire stick because I would hate to have to be switching sources all the time. Absolutely love opera browser on fire stick