Fire TVs can now automatically show Picture-in-Picture feeds of Video Doorbells and Security Cameras

Amazon has announced that select Fire TV models can now automatically display picture-in-picture (PIP) feeds of video doorbells and security cameras when an action occurs. When a Ring Video Doorbell is pressed, the Fire TV will bring up a live feed of the doorbell’s camera in the upper right corner of the screen without taking you away from what you’re watching. If you’d like, you can then say “Alexa, talk to [Ring doorbell device name]” to begin a two-way conversation between the Fire TV and the doorbell. To go full screen with the video feed, you can say “Alexa, show [Ring doorbell device name]” as usual.

These new capabilities are only being made available on the 2nd-gen Fire TV Cube, 2020 Toshiba 4K Fire TV Edition televisions, and 2020 Insignia 4K Fire TV Edition televisions. Only video doorbells made by Ring are currently compatible with the feature. Amazon says that non-doorbell security cameras from Ring, Nest, Wyze, Logitech, and others are also capable of displaying PIP video feeds. I assume that the PIP feed for non-doorbell cameras will appear when they are configured to alert you of something, like motion or face detection, but I’m not certain about that.

Update

I just heard back from Amazon on how non-doorbell cameras work with this new feature. Only doorbell cameras can automatically display the PIP video, through the pressing of the doorbell button. For non-doorbell cameras, you must manually say “Alexa, preview [camera name]” to see the PIP video.

1. Jim Carter says:

Did Amazon forget they own Blink? What a glaring omission.

2. Angel Reyes says:

Wonder why the 4k fire stick would not be included. Not sure why there would be a limitation.

3. Andrew says:

Sounds like a great feature! Does this work automatically, or is there a setting that needs to be enabled?

• EJ says:

Enable the Ring skill via the Alexa app.

• I tried hitting my ring doorbell and nothing would show up on my TV. It would show up in my echo show 8 but the only way I could get it to show up in my fire cube v2 was to say “Talk to Front door (my ring doorbell)”… I have the skill enabled, as I said it pops up I’m both of my echo show 8’s upon doorbell press.

Idk

4. deefresh says:

you can see the others through alexa will display on firestick full screen only

5. It works previewing Wyze cams acouple times but when I tried to preview my 3rd Wyze cam it glitched out. Fails to show PIP screen and fails to show Alexa blue line and also you cannot press and hold home to go-to settings or anything else..

I’ve hit the home button multiple times to “Exit” PIP screen but it still doesn’t work when home button is held.

This happened once before but i thought restarting would fix the issue.

Apparently it did not.

BTW, I’m using Fire Cube v2

• john says:

I normally use the alexa, show me the “wyze camera name” on my fire hd8 tablets. It runs for a while, then normally times out after a short while. Not unusual for it to buffer from time to time. I had hopes to use the preview option instead. When I try to preview, it does display the camera, but immediately goes in to a buffering loop, and then neither method works until I reboot the tablet.

As far as PIP, When I was installing tinycam pro (which supports PIP on andriod) on my gen1 firesticks and on my fire tabs, tinycam has notes that they were forced to remove PIP from the fire-os version by amazon because they would not allow it. I abandoned tinycam on the gen1 firestick as it buffers continuously. I am guessing there is not enough memory onboard.

6. Anthony Rossetti says:

great another feature being limited to fire TV cube 2nd gen
    first it was the video calling now this
    i hope they will be rolling out the video calling and PIP camera features to the 4k stick later on at some point

7. Dennis says:

Does anyone know if this will feature will work on Nest doorbells?

8. AndyS says:

Are all Ring video doorbells compatible with Firestick or do I need a particular model?

9. Eugene Carson says:

Will my firestick give me pip so I can watch 2 shows at once?