Comparison of Walmart’s Onn HD Stick, Onn 4K Box, and Onn 4K Pro streaming devices with Google TV

Walmart’s selection of Google TV streaming devices used to be simple to compare. If you wanted to forgo 4K support to save $5, you purchased the Onn HD Stick, but if you wanted it all, you purchased the Onn 4K Box. Things have gotten a little more complicated now that Walmart has released the new Onn 4K Pro. Here’s a comparison table of all the specs and features of each model to help you decide.

Onn
S805X2
Amlogic
S905Y4
Amlogic
S905X4
CPU Cores4-core4-core4-core
CPU Speed1.8GHz (4x)2.0GHz (4x)2.0GHz (4x)
CPU Benchmark1,8302,0092,050
VoiceOn RemoteOn RemoteOn Remote,
Hands-Free
Remote
Onn Standard G10 Remote

Onn Standard G10 Remote

Onn Premium G10 Remote
Basic Remote ButtonsProfile, Voice, Settings, D-Pad, Select, Home, Back, Guide, Channel Up, Channel DownProfile, Voice, Settings, D-Pad, Select, Home, Back, Guide, Channel Up, Channel DownProfile, Voice, Settings, D-Pad, Select, Home, Back, Guide, Channel Up, Channel Down
Power/Volume ButtonsPower,
App Shortcut (4),
Star (Custom App or Input Switch),
Free TV
Extra Remote Features--Backlight,
Remote Finder
  1. Pawdog says:

Is anybody every going to check for TrueHD passthrough or Dolby Mat support?One of the most important features a so called Pro device should have.

2. J Matt says:

Still not sure that the specs demand a steep increase over the regular box. The regular box was a great alternative to a 4K firestick, but at a really low price. For the extras, the lay person may not even notice a difference. And for the videophiles, etc, they’ll still insist on spending a lot more on the Shield. I would have though this would come in at $35 or $40 US. For us Canucks, it’s about $72 with tax and exchange, not much less than a 4k Max.

3. Keith says:

Id pay the extra money just for the storage and over the past few years Ive enjoyed my Google Chromecast that i setup in the kitchen more than the firestick 4k. I can’t believe that in 10 years Amazon couldn’t come up with a better casting protocol and Im using the same 8gb of storage as I had in 2014. They sped things up but didn’t innovate especially after getting such a huge share of the market. Firestick has almost become synonymous with streaming device
    Assuming there’s no noticeable lag Im gonna make the switch to ONN pro

4. Mr. Nobody says:

To the first comment , it does indeed have true HD pass through. I was able to literally get my hands on 1 unit. Secondly I am not sure why these devices are so scattered every time they release a new version it takes months to aquire and it’s so hard to get whether in store or online it’s a tad ridiculous.

.Onn is a Walmart company and it’s like this every time, a pain in the butt to get one and for those that do get them in store are typically scalpers on eBay that are selling them twice the price @ $100. That’s said , I also will have to agree with another commenter, from what I see , the steep increase in price is not worth it when the 2023 model does all the same and I can increase my storage via a dongle which Amazon has made me accustomed to that real fast while avoiding that ugly big blue “free tv “button whether I can remap it or not doesn’t matter . Its hideous.

I can’t say trying to hunt these down at $50 is worth the trouble when I have 3 -2023 boxes brand new unopened just sitting. If marketing and supply and demand caught up with each other and I could walk into a store and pick one up with no issue , well that may be different.

Realistically, from a specs perspective, the 3gb of ram will fall flat and bottle neck with a slight increase on that GPU , it seems that these products are never thought through greatly when it comes to the tech behind it and the specs. This will bottleneck regardless of its upgrades guaranteed and I gather this through current bench testing via part of my profession.this could have been a very cool product, but it’s off to a bad start as far as supply and then when into the specs it’s kind of a mess, the best option is the storage itself which again we all can do that now , so what’s the allure here from the $19.88 2023 model? However, This is my opinion of course .

• Pawdog says:

More space and RAM are always a good thing. I would say more important than the processor. Part of the cost is also the Dolby Vision and TrueHD support. This device is just more complete than any before it at this price. Amazon with the Cube charges almost triple for essentially the same device with less storage and a terrible locked down home screen. To me $50 is more than fair.

5. JFC says:

IMHO, the 32 GB of storage space totally make it worthwhile… vs the standard 8GB on the FTV sticks or 16 GB on the Cube. And not having to fiddle with OTG cables and attached USB storagesticks as a kludgy workaround for FTVs likewise is great.

Beyond that, having a full size USB3 port AND an ethernet port (albeit LAN only) on the new Onn device blows away what’s available (NOT) on the Fire Sticks. And compared to the Cube, you’re getting comparable wifi and the Ethernet port for basically half the price of a Cube.

And best of all, no more worrying about Amazon trying to control what your device home screen looks like and what content it displays, and blocking access to certain apps, and trying to block your ability to remap key assignments on the FTV remote.

Lastly, you’re not tying yourself to an Amazon FTV platform that seems headed on abandoning or at least deprecating the Android-based OS that it built its ecosystem on. Time to move on.

6. Mike says:

I left Amazon’s fire stick/ cube long ago when they updated and slowed the devices down for android tv. For awhile they were the best available but not anymore.

7. Roger says:

Does the new device support accessing an external USB disk formatted with HDFS? My current device, the Google Chromecast does not. Thanks.

8. Nicholas Cannon says:

Looking to replace all my FS4KMAXs asap. I just have too many TVs for $100+ devices.

9. Stick says:

I just wonder does this new device will allow user file manager apps to access the Android/Data folder. Because in the old Onn 4K it’s not allowed, on the firesticks you are allowed to access Android/data folder if need be. So I just wonder is there going to be restrictions on accessing files using the File Manager app.

• Pawdog says:

That changed in I believe Android 10.Neither of the Max devices have access to the Android Data folders.

10. Matteo says:

Am I the only one that actually prefers Android 11 to Android 12?

12 just seems to break some of my apps.. (VLC mainly)

• Pawdog says:

What I don’t like about 12 is the way it make accessing system folders even harder than 11 did. Never had any app issues that I can remember.