Comparison of all 4K Android streaming devices from Amazon Fire TV, Walmart Onn, Google Chromecast, and Nvidia Shield TV

If you’re in the market for a 4K streaming device running Android, there have never been more options to choose from. Whether it’s running Google TV, Android TV, or Fire OS, you’ve got a wide selection of devices ranging from $20 to $200. Here’s a detailed table to compare all the specs of the most popular boxes, sticks, pendants, tubes, and cubes from Amazon, Google, Nvidia, and Walmart.

Uncheck to hide:
Onn 4K, Onn 4K Pro, Chromecast 4K, Shield TV, Shield TV Pro, Firestick 4K, Firestick 4K Max, Fire TV Cube

Onn
List
Price
$19.88$49.88$49.99$149.99$199.99$49.99$59.99$139.99
Lowest
Price
$19.88$49.88$37.98$124.99$149.99$24.99$39.99$109.99
ReleasedApr 13, 2023May 1, 2024Sept 30, 2020Oct 28, 2019Oct 28, 2019Sept 27, 2023Sept 27, 2023Oct 25, 2022
CPU
System
Google TVGoogle TVGoogle TVAndroid TVAndroid TVFire OS 8Fire OS 8Fire OS 7
Android
Version
Android 12Android 12Android 12Android 11Android 11Android 11Android 11Android 9
Arch.32-bit32-bit32-bit32-bit64-bit32-bit32-bit32-bit
Video4K @ 60fps4K @ 60fps4K @ 60fps4K @ 60fps4K @ 60fps4K @ 60fps4K @ 60fps4K @ 60fps
HDR
2023
Fire TV
Cube
3rd-Gen
2022
  1. clocks says:

Elias – Do you think the speed limiter in the Onn Pro is intentional, or do you think they might patch it, to unleash it’s full potential?

• It’s really hard to say. It is oddly warm just sitting idle doing nothing, so it being limited by the governor might be due to a legitimate heat concern. I’ve swapped it in as my daily driver for a couple of days now and I’m not seeing the performance as an issue, so I doubt they’ll update the governor.

• clocks says:

Thanks. I picked one up on Saturday, but I have not unboxed it or set it up, other than checking which remote I got(non-backlit). I’m on the fence if I want to keep it or not.

• Mike says:

I might be wrong. I thought mine was non-backlit, but I wonder if any are non-backlit. On mine, the buttons will light up by pressing any button, and dim after a few seconds. (I was used to remotes just being smart and light when you move them) This arguably is a battery saver.

• Does yours have the blue “Free TV” button? I read a comment saying the remotes with the blue “Free TV” button are backlit but the ones without the button are not. I don’t know if that’s true yet.

• Mike says:

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer but yes, I have the horrible Free TV button and backlight.

• clocks says:

It sounds like there are potentially three versions of the remote out there. I saw someone post on Reddit a bit ago that they do not have the FreeTV button, but their remote is backlit. So I put batteries in mine, and pressed some buttons, but there is no backlighting I can tell. Sounds like all the remotes with the FreeTV button are backlit, and some of the ones without are. Unless that reddit poster was full of it. But if there are really three versions of the remote out there, I would if the boxes themselves have any minor hardware differences also.

• Clocks, can you post the FCC ID number of your remote? It’s in tiny print under the battery door, just above the batteries.

• Mike says:

Elias,
            R-C-OHS-C314
            C314-WAL-TA-FB
            190124 V2.30

• clocks says:

C008-WAL-TFB 060124 V2.26 No TV button / no noticeable backlite

• Thanks, but the “C###-WAL-…” is the model number. The FCC ID is molded into the plastic above the battery, not on a printed label underneath the battery. See the blue outlined area here: https://imgur.com/a/hP9wxno

I’m guessing the remote without the blue “Free TV” button is FCC ID “OZ5C008” but I would like someone to confirm.

• streaming_sooner says:

Elias, sorry to jump in here in probably the wrong spot… I bought the Onn 4K Pro in Oklahoma City yesterday (5/5/24). It does not have the Blue button, and when I put batteries in, I could not see ‘any’ backlight with button presses–just the pairing led flashing.
          I can confirm that my remote does indeed have the FCC # OZ5C008 molded into the housing. Hope that helps.
          I’m glad to not have the Blue button, lol, but disappointed with the lack of the backlit buttons.

• Great, thanks! That confirms that the guts of the black Pro remote without the “Free TV” button and no backlight are mostly identical to the white non-Pro remote, because they both share the same “OZ5C008” FCC ID.

• Adam says:

I wouldn’t expect it to struggle at all with standard streaming 4k content and interfaces.

But how do you think it would do with, say, a higher bitrate 4k remux in Kodi? I know this would just be informed speculation on your part at this point.

It looks like it’d be a full service streaming box, and one at a very good price. But choking on full sized 4k rips on a network would definitely be something to know about if you’re in the market for such a device.

• I watched a 4K remux (75 Mb/s bitrate) on it last night (over WiFi from local NAS) through Plex with no issues. I assume Kodi will perform the same.

• Adam says:

Yep, that’s good information. Thanks.

And good call on using wifi for the test. I had a rip of my 1917 4k disc that repeatedly choked when I (unknowingly) had a fast Ethernet cable between my Shield and my NAS. I have to assume that the 10/100 nic on the Onn 4k Pro would have similar results.

So, enough muscle for a Kodi machine, you’ll just want a clear wifi signal or an OTG USB/nic adapter.

• Kingston says:

What speed limiter? The s905x4 is not that different than the s905x2 from 2016. The processor performance is pretty much the same.

It’s not a fast processor.

• clocks says:

It was mentioned in another tread, that there is a software setting that is turned on, that is likely impacting performance.

• Nick says:

Is there any speculation to using an adb command to disable that process?

• Kingston says:

Are you talking about the CPU governor that determines if the processor is running at full or variable cycles? Even if it’s not set to performance mode the s905x4 is not going to get noticably faster.

The on-demand / variable setting just decreases the CPU cycles when it’s not under heavy CPU load. Setting that hot potato to performance mode is going to cause it to die faster.

Your already getting full CPU performance under heavy loads, such as benchmarking.

The benchmark results here are in line with what has been reported for the s905x4 by others on other models.

• clocks says:

Gotcha. Just weird that the newer SoC is slower than the one used in the older 4k Onn box. Isn’t this one supposed to be using a newer version of the ARM design?

• Kingston says:

I’m assuming the benchmark results takes a hit because of the Google Assistant wake word processing occurring in the background even during benchmarks.

The same would be true of the Amazon Cubes.

The s905x5 is the midline Amlogic processor that actually makes a large leap forward. The s905x4 was released in late 2019, early 2020. It’s pretty much the s905x3 with AV1. And even though the s905x2 uses A53 vs A55 cores, the benchmarks are usually close and in some instances better on the s905x2 than the s905x4.

They are all on par with the 1st gen 4K Stick.

Part of the problem may also be Android and newer Android OS versions taking incremental performance hits away from the processors.

• Matt Rizzo says:

That may be true of the Fire Cube processing power also being diminished being on constant Alexa standby.

But in the case of the Cube 3, it certainly doesn’t seem to affect its’ scoring on the tables. As it even outperforms the Shield Pro.

2. Adam says:

The Shield TV has a physical button on the tube itself to activate the remote finder. Getting to it is a pain, but its on one end, above the HDMI port.

In inexplicable contrast, the Shield TV Pro does not have any such physical button.

Because, that’s why.

3. xnamkcor says:

Good idea limiting it to 4k devices so the 2nd Gen Fire TV isn’t so awkwardly high in the list despite being so old.

4. Blake says:

I just picked up an onn. 4K Pro from Walmart yesterday. The remote does not have the Free TV button. Also, I cannot get Sling TV to work on it. Everything else is working well and snappy.

5. Suyash says:

Thanks for the comparison, Elias. This is exactly what I was looking for. Although this might be something you’re already work on, but, it would be awesome to see this table include the Apple TV 4K as well given that we’re considering options up to $199.

6. Mr. Nobody says:

I have the 2023 models , why is it so hard to get the 2024 pro models, Walmart/.Onn are the worst with these devices and pushing. Them out and marketing. I can’t find it online via Walmart, just EBay scalpers and after physically going to 5 Walmarts in my state/locale , they aren’t on the shelf as of yet. I have the sku # as well but just can’t find it other than EBay scalpers wanting $100+ and apparently as well as reading some of these comments , benchmark and other tests , the 2023 model is very similar as far as performance as well as the 2023 are rootable as well. In any case, If anyone has found a working link to buy the 2024 4k pro, I’d sincerely appreciate

7. Blazen says:

wow nice layout of detail info i really like that. but the part that really dislike from the manufactures is that the cpu is 64bit capable but they chose to run it in a 32bit OS and that cuts performance down by a about 30-40% in the real world. We need all the performance we can get out of these some SBCs.

• Nearly all streaming devices run in 32-bit mode because it frees up more RAM than if it were running in 64-bit mode. The performance improvement from 64-bit only applies when there’s software that needs or uses the larger word size. Since very little streaming software can take advantage of 64-bit architecture, you end up with better performance in real-world use when running a 32-bit OS because of the smaller memory footprint.

8. Austin Alexander says:

Elias, have you gotten the speaker to work without it turning on the tv? It seems useless as the speaker only works when the tv is off, then when it starts talking the tv turns on and the audio cuts out from the speaker

• Mike says:

I just tried a ‘hey Google’ while the device was off and we had the Fire Cube running on another HDMI. It responded with the weather while turning the ONN on and kicking our view out of the Cube. Not what I’d like, but if I’m going to have two devices on one TV …

• That’s exactly my experience too. Sometimes it also thinks the TV is on when it’s actually off, so the response audio goes over HDMI instead of the internal speaker and you can’t hear anything but it doesn’t try turning on the TV.

The hands-free aspect isn’t nearly as polished with the TV off as the Fire TV Cube.

• Mike says:

The Cube works seamlessly with the TV off without engaging the TV. In that respect, it’s just another Alexa device. – Not so the ONN Pro. What I don’t like about the new Pro (unless I’m missing something) is not being sure all the time that the device is in fact off as the regular ONNs had a power light. Does the device timeout and turn itself off after a time? I find nothing documented on this subject.

9. Bill says:

My 2nd gen Shield paired with the 3rd gen triangular remote running a custom launcher and button mapper is the perfect setup for me. No ads on the home screen. I set up one of the older One 4k’s in a similar manner for a secondary. Works great!

10. Donovan Smith says:

The new Onn 4k Pro sling TV is not available in the Google Play store nor can you side it. Why can you install Sling TV on the Onn 4k Pro.

• Blake says:

I contacted Sling customer support and sent in a comment form because I can’t use Sling either. They couldn’t tell me why it was not available or when it might be.

11. Rentheiedman says:

Do any of the non firetv remotes work the TV and sound bar( volume,power)? That is where I draw the line, you should only have to use one remote for everything.

12. Kary says:

It would be interesting to compare the up-scaling of the current Fire Cube to the Nvidia devices (without having to spend $100+ to do so). It’s shockingly good on the FC.

• Matt Rizzo says:

I thought I read that there would be some published updates here on that particular topic (Cube 3 upscaling), but I don’t recall ever seeing it.

I agree – the upscaling on them Cube 3 looks fantastic at times to me. It would be hard for me to switch to another device that didn’t have an upscaling capability like that.

• Kevin says:

Do you know if the Apple TV 4K has comparable up-scaling?

13. John c says:

I have a custom home screen on my fire TV cube, through wolf launcher don’t know why you say it’s blocked

14. Matt Rizzo says:

15. Dave says:

The Onn 4k Pro, has a different remote post launch. No backlit and no FreeTV button but still a good remote.

16. Jackie says:

Available Memory: 1326 MB
    Internal Storage Total Space: 21.84 GB
    Internal Storage Free Space: 19.36 GB
    Bluetooth Version: 4+

<<>>
    Core Architecture: 4x ARM Cortex-A55 @ 2004 MHz
    Instruction Set: 64-bit ARMv8-A (32-bit Mode)
    CPU Revision: r2p0
    AES: Supported
    ASIMD/NEON: Supported
    PMULL: Supported
    SHA1: Supported
    SHA2: Supported

<<>>
    Android Version: 12 (Snow Cone)
    API Level: 31
    Java VM Version: ART 2.1.0
    Java VM Heap Size: 256 MB
    Kernel Architecture: armv8l
    Kernel Version: 5.4.242-android12-9-gce5ddd525ec4
    Tags: release-keys
    Type: user
    Google Play Services Version: 24.16.16 (180306-629452829)
    Huawei Mobile Services Version:
    OpenSSL Version: OpenSSL 1.1.1 (compatible; BoringSSL)
    ZLib Version: 1.2.11
    ICU CLDR Version: 38.1
    ICU Library Version: 68.2
    ICU Unicode Version: 13.0
    Android Language: English (United States)
    Configured Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (UTC-05:00)
    UpTime: 02:13:43