Recent Comments

💬 How to add External USB OTG Storage and Move Apps on the Fire TV Stick Lite, Fire TV Stick 3, and Fire TV Cube
  1. Armgat says:

Lots of information here but having a hard time unraveling it for what I want to do I'm trying to do this: I have the OTG cable on the latest 4K FireStick. Also have a Sandisk 64 Gb USB 3.0 thumb drive which I used the ADB Shell utility to partition it 50:50. I want to use one 32 Gb partition to move apps to and the other 32 Gb partition to store and play the data (videos I made). I installed the VLC player for the videos. I can easily move apps using X-Plore to one partition but at a total loss getting data (videos) on the other 32 Gb partition. My personal videos are on my desktop. I searched all over the place and couldn't find a clear cut explanation how to use that 2nd partition for data. Any help here is appreciated.

💬 This is why your Amazon Fire TV USB port is not working
  1. David says:

Nice one mate! Was trying to figure that out for ages; did as you said, usb appeared in seconds after wifi kicked in. WTF?!! Shameful of Amazon. Very poor.
    I have no place that say USB on and off

💬 DirecTV Now is offering a Free Fire TV with 2 month subscription
  1. Ekene says:

I like this and am already using this. Thank for the update

💬 New BET app arrives on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
  1. Tollie C Letlow says:

That was supposed to be *Fire Stick not *Fite Stick!!

💬 New BET app arrives on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
  1. Tollie C Letlow says:

I pay for BET but can no longer get it on my Fite Stick. And I paid it in full for the whole year. What is going on?

💬 Fire TVs can now control Bluetooth Headphone/Speaker Volume using the remote buttons
  1. Gigi says:

Has anyone experienced this getting rolled back? I had this capability in July on my Firestick but when I came back from vacation it was gone. I can't find any setting that will let me enable or change it

💬 When will your Fire TV or Firestick get the New Interface? — Current and Future Rollout Status (UPDATED)
  1. Maurice Mitchell Sr says:

Both of my Second Gen Firesticks updated a day apart this week

💬 What the new Nintendo Switch means for future Nvidia Shield TV models
  1. Mloudt says:

If they upgraded 3gb to 4gb ram and 16gb to 64rom that alone would have people interested. Also with new PS5s Xbox Xs and Amazon Luna I'd realease a new controller.

💬 Comparison of specs for the Fire TV Stick 4K vs the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max — Plus why they matter
  1. Jason says:

Firestick have been able to play 10bit or more for awhile now at least since the Firestick Lite.
    From others running into this same 8-bit limitation issue, it may be an hdmi 1.4 or Epson projector compatibility issue with the 2018 4K fireTV stick. But since every other device I have will do 10-bit color, it’s obviously something that could be fixed. I guess there aren’t enough people in this situation for it to be addressed. I’m just hoping the new 4K max addresses it or I will have to switch to something else.

1. Benny says:

I've been waiting for an upgrade and was about to buy another brand... but will get this if I can confirm it will actually play 10 or 12 bit color. I can't get anything better than 8-bit now. I only have an HDMI 1.4 into my projector, but my BluRay player plays 4K 12-bit 24fps HDR no problem and also streams 4K 60fps 12-bit SDR. The 2018 4K stick looks really bad on night scenes and underwater scenes as the 8-bit limitation causes bad "banding". Also no one will answer the Q&A on Amazons page if this can deliver lossless audio (192kHz 24bit)... can it?

1. Jen Desrocher says:

I reviewed it on only one of my gen2 fire sticks.
    Received* autocorrect is killing me today.

1. Jen Desrocher says:

have anyone with firestick 2nd generation from 2016 got the new interface yet?
    I reviewed it on only one of my gen2 fire sticks.

1. Jen Desrocher says:

I have 2 been 2 for sticks, but only one of them updated to the new UI interface.
    2 gen2 fire sticks*

1. Jen says:

💬 New Firestick and Fire TV Smart TV software update appears to resume new interface rollout
  1. Nate says:

I have an element five tv. Still no update. This is the dumbest rollout I've ever seen.

1. allegator says:

Hi - as always, I much appreciate your very insightful and sensible commentaries and reviews. Thank you.My question : Why would I still need either Amazon product these days? My Roku televisions seem to give me all the connectivity/access I need, and it is one less device, and stops what was becoming an increasingly complicated mess of different devices each trying to be "helpful" and control other devices too.I have an Amazon Fire 4K tv stick, and loved it, but my new Roku televisions seem to do everything. Am I missing something? I'd be delighted at an excuse to buy a new Amazon stick if there's a reason to do so, but I'm really not seeing it.
    What apps will I be able to move off internal storage and onto a USB drive? I wasn't aware this was possible. With the Firestick 4k I'm constantly bumping up against the relatively limited 8GB internal storage space.

💬 How to update HBO Max on Fire TV / Firestick and fix the Unsupported Version error message
  1. Pavel says:

Some HBO Max apps, including sideloaded versions, have stopped working today because HBO just released a new version of their app. The app is now displaying the “Unsupported Version” message seen above. If you have sideloaded HBO Max onto your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, rather than updating your sideload app, it’s best for you to uninstall the app and re-install the official version, which is now available in the official Amazon Appstore.

💬 Get these deals on HBO Max, Showtime, and Plex Pass subscriptions before they expire
  1. Keith Little says:

The HBO app seems ok to me on the fire tv.
    The fire tv one is ok. Just ok. The android app is absolute garbage. No pip mode (I use it a lot), the screen won't autorotate. It does one way and on my phone it means the volume buttons are on the bottom, USB port is in an inconvenient position most of the time I use it while charging. The crashes seem to have been mostly fixed in the past month. When you have a chance, read the reviews on playstore. Due to it's popularity because of it's good content, it gets a lot of reviews and it might be the most negatively reviewed app of all time.

1. Rik Emmett says:

No, it's not just for former Prime Video Channel subscribers. The sale is a response to Prime Video Channels removing HBO, but it's not limited to those customers.
    Showtime's sale seems like they might be trying to lure former HBO Max customers who want their premium service integrated into the live guide.

1. Rik Emmett says:

So I'm assuming that HBO deal is just for people who previously subscribed through Amazon? I should've done that but I had a good amount of credits in Play store so I just subscribed through them. On another note, the HBO Max app sucks worse than any streaming app I've ever used. Not only is it years behind in terms of features, it's also incredibly buggy. I'm most likely gonna cancel it.
    The HBO app seems ok to me on the fire tv.

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. Jeff says:

Shitty weak dongle.

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. Jeff says:

Junk. Ripoff.

1. Elias Saba (AFTVnews) says:

1. Keith says:

1. Dan says:

What is the promo code and previous promo code? Can you please share it? Want to buy one more 4K one.
    It was just a one time use thing. I tried to use it again but it doesn't allow it.

1. GL says:

Yep, I agree. In fact, after thinking about it... I just ordered the "old" 4K Fire Stick due to the discounts currently available. It's on sale for $34.99 but the promo code (along with a previous promo) brought the price down to $14.99 plus tax. I figured 'What the heck, why not' and pulled the trigger.

1. GL says:

Been running Kodi since 17 + 18.9 on Fire TV2 (box)with 32 gig SD card. Use external memory fine. Total size 551MB, Cache 48.37MB, Application 140 MB, Data 411MB. On card storage 238MB. Works fine for me...?Please note, I'm using 64 bit version of Kodi. Only Fire Device that uses 64 bit OS
    Nope. In Kodi configuration in the some file (documented in their Wiki), you can change path to the data folder with SD card device address and path. You should copy the data and configuration to external SD card and point this path to that folder in the file as per instructions. Kodi just crashes after that, but if I change it back to its default, starts working. Note that this is not same as FTV2 saying move to SD card, which does not work for Kodi majority of data. (I had tried this in 17.x and even 18.x with same results)Try that and let me know if it works.

1. nate says:

Did you ever get Kodi to use the external sd card? I gave up after multiple attempts on my FTV Gen2.

💬 Alexa can now trigger routines when it detects Crying Babies, Snoring, or Coughing
  1. Brantome says:

Seems to be out in the uk now as a “public preview” (never seen Amazon openly acknowledge something as a beta before for Alexa) and it includes baby crying, coughing, snoring and barking…

💬 How to Sideload APK Apps on Amazon Fire TV, Stick, Stick Lite, Stick 4K, Cube, or Fire TV Edition with Downloader — Updated Sept. 2020
  1. Home OF Apk says:

I’m Trying to download the downloader app on my fire tv cube and I keep getting an error download failure. There was an error while downloading downloader. Please try again. Any help is appreciated.
    You can find the Android APK on your Fire TV's internal storage. You'll need to download the “Total Commander” app to your Amazon Fire TV device: To get to the installation page, on your remote, hold down the “Alexa” button and say, “Total Commander app.” To install it, click on “Get.”

1. Jason says:

💬 When to expect the next Fire TV Cube or other flagship model — Fire TV Cube 3? Fire TV 4?
  1. 666 says:

Honestly I think that the shield is going to be the powerhouse for people and the queue will be the secondary. The shield can do everything except the fact that you can do the Alexa stuff without having to actually physically grab the remote. But if you have a shield or can find one at a good price they do all the time where they offer the alexa devices cheap. If that’s a need. I like it but personally it’s not a huge must.
    What are you talking about? No Shield can play 4K HDR videos from YouTube, something so basic. No VP9p2 nor AV1. Even Apple has VP9p2 now. Generally speaking apps are buggy as they always were with android tv. I've bought 3 Shields this year, one to keep and two to resell, everyone selling was moving to Apple. The Shield TV, non pro was a flop, a buggy mess. Will Nvidia even release any new box anymore????

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. 666 says:

I've read somewhere it has HDMI 2.1.

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. TechyChris says:

Off-Topic but today my Sony Bravia Android TV (2020 model) UPDATED to Android 11. No issues during the update and everything appears to be operating smoothly.

1. Rik Emmett says:

I might buy a cube for the extra horsepower, if it didn't have an integrated echo, but as the article states, I'm happy with my Fire TV Lite stick that I got for free with the $5 Discovery+ offer.

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. Rik Emmett says:

Anker will get some action from consumers who want the latest streaming device, even if it's inferior. Many people collect streaming devices like they do video game consoles.

💬 Reminder that HBO leaves Prime Video Channels today
  1. Rik Emmett says:

Presumably, not all customers who subscribe through amazon, roku and apple will sign up directly with HBO and may seek another premium service that is integrated into the channel listings. HBO is firing customers. This seems like a career limiting decision for the executives, if they miss their projected financial numbers.

1. Jason says:

1. KraziJoe says:

I am just slowly phasing out my Fire TV sticks/cubes. I am tired of all the fighting between all the participants and just want one that does it all without a need to download non native aps etc. Right now that is not the Fire TV since there is no Spectrum app it's a no go for me. I really wish Amazon would invest some resources into creating a nice interface. All that money and they place the ads, and then just throw everything else up there.

💬 Alexa app can now auto-upload mobile photos for use in Fire TV & Echo Show screensavers
  1. Hereward the Woke says:

Why does Amazon's screensaver only run for about 15 mins then quits? Its most annoying when my tv runs for 4 hrs before timing out.

💬 Discovery+ subscription is on sale for $0.99/month for 2 months through Prime Video Channels
  1. JR says:

I went to sign up and it only gives me a free 7 day free trial option with $4.99 or $6.99 per month there after?

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. PacoBell says:

No AV1 support? That should be table stakes this late into 2021. And I thought Google was mandating that codec support these days?

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. Y2Bogus says:

90 bucks? Hell no.

1. Brantome says:

It is already on the FireTVs as of this year. Not too farfetched for it to come to the rest of the firetv lineup.
    But aren’t those third party TVs with fire tv functionality? I’d think it’s a different matter technically and commercially for Amazon kit to support (and licence) the use of Apple technology

1. JimmyFish says:

Pigs will fly first…

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. Charlie says:

WTF? 90.00 for a dongle?

1. Julius says:

You can't add AV1 via a firmware update. Video decoding is done via custom hardware, so it must be baked in from the start.
    You can actually add AV1 support via software. There is dav1d software decoder which performs fairly well. However, it may be too slow for 4k HDR support and you need to keep in mind that premium content providers mandate DRM support and require "secure" hardware decoding for HD content.

💬 Anker releases Nebula 4K Streaming Dongle running Android TV
  1. hectare says:

they are not going to win the DONGLE Wars at that price point, and the number of available devices on the market is getting ridiculous

1. hectare says:

Well...it mine Gen2 Cube does perform well and I don't need AV1 support, so I can wait until 2023 if I have to.

1. Darryl G says:

Love my Cube but before I buy (unless dirt cheap) another they’ve got to fix a few issues I have with them. Specifically an inability to play Netflix 4K on my Cube (where it plays 4K on other apps) and the storage capacity either going up or staying the same after erasing apps.

Get AFTVnews articles in your inbox!

Get an email anytime a new article is published.
No Spam EVER and Cancel Anytime.