Recent Comments

💬  Looks like Amazon is discontinuing the Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR — Update: Confirmed by Amazon
  1. Len Mullen says:

I don't think so, but I expect at some point Amazon will at least stop providing guide data, since that is an ongoing cost. I wouldn't expect that to happen for another 3-4 years at least.
    That would be a really bad PR move. Amazon can afford the guide data until the end of time. So, time for a review of other OTA DVRs options for the Echo Show?

1. Ari says:

I will begin my transition from Amazon fire products immediately. My tv viewing strategy is long term which does not map to Amazon's short lived product strategy. I'll keep this in mind when considering Amazon branded products in the future. I'm sure this decision will affect spares and support.
    Me too. Very disappointed. Looking at this as a replacement: SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 NextGen . I guess it’s no great rush, but I’m steering away from Amazon/Echo/Eero starting now. Google Nest is really a better voice assistant anyway (at least for information questions). I’ll be slowly leaving my Amazoncetric set up as I start replacing things.

1. Carolyn B. says:

💬  Amazon moves up ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’ premiere slightly with more episodes
  1. Mike says:

I'm looking forward to Oct 15th. We're not going to binge the entire season, but looking forward to a wider evaluation of the series before investing a lot of time in it. I've liked what Amazon has done so far, but this is in a new 'realm'.

💬  How to remap the App Buttons on Fire TV Remotes with Remapper — Updated March 2022
  1. Matthew says:

Is there a way to enable remapped buttons offline? I've successfully remapped Hulu to VLC but it only works with WiFi on. The OS seems to do an internet check when any of the buttons are pushed before even attempting to launch.

💬  Amazon’s new 2022 Fire 7 tablet is on sale for the first time — Fire HD 8 & 10 also on sale
  1. Carl W. says:

Does the 7" tablet fit your pocket?
    I've had the two previous versions of the 7" and they both fit perfectly in all my suit and sport jacket pockets, the ones on the inside of the jacket. I guess they're called the breast pockets. They also fit in the jacket side pockets, but loosely and didn't seem as secure as the inside pockets that almost seemed made for the 7" tablet. I never put them in trouser pockets, though.

💬  Exclusive: Amazon is working on a 3rd-Gen Fire TV Cube code named Gazelle
  1. onguardian says:

Can I ask you help? I have an Amazon cube, gen2. On the remote, there are 4 quick buttons; prime video, netflix, disney+ and hulu. Can these be reprogrammed to other apps?Thank you!
    Yes I believe they can be. See an online tutorial for more info.

1. Rik Emmett says:

It's 4.63 inches wide, so I would say it would only fit in VERY large pockets.
    Seems like it might be better to buy the kids version and get a 2 year worry free guarantee, ad free and a free case for $70.

1. KH says:

That was short lived. Glad I stuck with my Tablo and walked away from FireTV products.

1. Jscott1000 says:

I feel like a sucker having paid over $300 for my 4 tuner 1T model but I use it all the time. I love recording live over the air free TV. The question is how long will it continue to operate as an unsupported device? My guess is not long.

1. wlion1 says:

Amazon has disappointed once again.Fire Phone Fire TV Gaming Edition Fire TV RecastPromises and then abandoned. The Recast works, but has many quirks. Audio sometimes is not in sync, having to rewind and fast forward to sync up again. Switching between english and spanish broadcast causes issues when switching back to english where audio stays stuck on spanish audio stream. Many of these issues were reported but no official fix was made by their support team. This product had potential, unfortunately it was never enhanced beyond the basics. I was fine without commercial skip as the fast forwards was easy to use to get past commercials. In the end, I hope this is not what the future of their products will be like.

1. Ralph says:

Don’t they need to continue to provide the guide for OTA broadcasts on Fire TV’s anyway?

1. Joecool5 says:

Very sorry to hear this. I use mine everyday and love being able to watch local channels on every TV.I was hoping they would come out with a ATSC 3.0 tuner version, which is available in my area.

💬  Exclusive: Amazon is working on a 3rd-Gen Fire TV Cube code named Gazelle
  1. thetechjester says:

I'm pretty sure if you set the sleep timer on your tv, the FTV will stop streaming and go to sleep when the TV does. At least I think that is how mine has been working.
    True. But,and I know this may sound like I'm whining, the whole point of me integrating everything in the house over to Amazon land (especially using a Cube to control TV, AVR, game consoles, BD, etc) is to reduce the number of remotes I have to use to control every device and do it all with their remote and my voice.

💬  Exclusive: Amazon is working on a 3rd-Gen Fire TV Cube code named Gazelle
  1. clocks says:

I'd LOVE to see: 1. A sleep timer! Please, for the love of everything holy, add a freaking sleep timer! Just like the one they've had on every Dot I've ever owned. 2. GB Ethernet port. 3. WiFi6 would be icing on the cake.

💬  Exclusive: Amazon is working on a 3rd-Gen Fire TV Cube code named Gazelle
  1. thetechjester says:

1. Rsm61 says:

Well, I just hope they continue enough support that I get to use it long enough to get my money's worth out of it, as I haven't had mine that long. I have internet, and all my 6 TVs are "smart", so without the recast, I have zero use for any of these Fire sticks I bought either. And this probably wouldn't have been considered a "niche" product, if they'd advertised it just a little.

1. Mike E. says:

I bought the two tuner version mainly for the free guide as the OTA on my Dish Receiver (211k) the guide is really messed up. Now this news. I wonder if there is some other unit and offers a free guide? I have noticed several newser channels we have received have no OTA guide or a wrong one on the ReCast. I called but nothing improved so now I have my answer.
    Airtv2 and AirTv Anywhere have free guide: https://www.airtv.net/products/

1. Rsm61 says:

I've had my 4-tuner for a few years, in a center closet where I drilled a hole in the ceiling to run the antenna coax. Has been very reliable in recording, and I like to watch them in the kitchen, with a 10" Echo Show that replaced my TV. This will be a bummer. The only issues I've had are deleting shows sometimes ("You're not connected to Recast - check the Wi-Fi...", but I can playback shows), which I try to solve with reboots of both fire stick and recast, but it's not clear yet what the issue is.
    Same thing happens to me sometimes. I have to do a factory reset of the Firestick to get it to work again. I found that even when the stick causes that problem, I can still delete shows using the app.

1. Rsm61 says:

I quickly lost interest when I found out it was only 720p. It made no sense to release a whole house OTA NVR with less than 1080p in 2018, maybe in 2008, not 2018.
    I use mine daily, and to be honest, I can't tell any difference between the picture it displays, and the native 1080 broadcast. But then, I'm probably older and less picky than some.

1. John says:

We have the larger Recast and use it every day. As our schedules don't allow viewing programs live and we don't want to subscribe to multiple streaming services to watch the variety of shows that are available OTA, we use the DVR function almost exclusively. The main reason for getting the recast in HD first place was for broadcasting thd signal over WiFi throughout our house. I think this wouldn't be such a niche product if they had hyped it as much as Alexa. Most people have never heard of it.

💬  Fire TV Stick 4K Max finally has the option to disable HDR entirely
  1. YoLolo69 says:

Ok so I have the same problem, HDR not well managed on my Monitor, colors all washed mainly with the Netflix app, and I can't turning HDR off on the Fire Stick setting, even if I choose output to be only 8 bits. I have 3 different Fire Stick models, an old one, a new one with Alexa remote, and a 4K model not Max (OS 6291 (NS3291/4110). I don't want to invest in a new 4K Max just for a simple HDR OFF settings. Hope Amazon will react as I guess I'm not the only one using Fire Stick on Gaming Monitor...

1. Shirley Dulcey says:

As others pointed out, I meant 1080i not p. I see quite a few things in 1080 on the main channel, but not on the subchannels, those are always low resolution and usually highly compressed (i.e. look terrible).No doubt it depends on the market one is located in, I'm sure in some markets there is little 1080 content. So maybe a pointless addition for you, but the content I would record does benefit from 1080 capability.
    Many of the major networks are in 1080i everywhere: CBS, NBC, PBS, The CW, and Univision are all that resolution. Fox is 720p, and ABC is either 1080i or 720p depending on where you live. ION is also 1080i, but only 30fps.The subchannels that show old movies or 60s TV shows are almost all 480i. And the stations usually don't give them enough bits so they look terrible even by the standards of that resolution.Some of the major networks produce some of their programming in 4K, and offer it that way on their ATSC 3.0 pilots. But mostly not.

1. BadApples361 says:

The Recast does store recorded video in its raw 1080i format, when available. The raw file does look noticeably sharper than the 720p encoded stream that it sends out.
    In Austin Texas and Cleveland Ohio where NextGen TV did it's first test there are some networks in 4k already . You can look up NextGen TV to see whick markets have it and which ones are launching soon. But the truth is they've enjoyed double dipping having to provide free OTA and betting consumers would rather pay cable or satellite to provide their local lineup.so hopefully smart TVs where your able to use your personal advertising ID businesses local and abroad work just like your phone and YouTube direct marketing will get those stations and vendors an incentive to upgrade sooner.

1. Zeric says:

Except that no OTA broadcast in the USA is even being broadcast in 1080P. That would have been a pointless addition.

1. BadApples361 says:

ATSC 3.0 is far more niche than the Recast. All markets that have 3.0 still show most of their channels on 1.0 so you need both tuners. Silicon dust makes a hybrid network tuner with 2 3.0/1.0 tuners and 2 1.0 tuners. Amazon could to the same thing but they would have to charge significantly more for the device.
    Samsung and LG TVs 2021 and up have ATSC 3.0 or NextGen TV with Quadtuner for cable/satellite or Antenna and streaming combined. With my LG channels /antenna local works great 375 ch. We get Sling for LG free no need for HD tuner DVR or any external player just added Dolby Atmos Soundbar and Deezer Spotify Apple Amazon music and Tidal which we use makes the tv into all in one entertainment center.

1. Roy S says:

I have the Rcast with 500gb storage 4 tuners. Use mine every day. Fast forward past commercials. I love it. I have six firesticks can access it through any two at the same time without running extra coax to access over the air broadcast. Access home broadcast when I away through my mobile phone and mirror to another tv. Hope amazon doesn't ignore this device.
    Hi Rik, I have a channel in my market(Phoenix) that broadcasts in MPEG-4. It does not generate a picture (only sound) on my Recast (as it only supports the older MPEG-2) I have an 2 Tuner Silicon Dust HDHomeRun (it’s older than the Recast) that DOES decode the channel. I learned of this change from Tyler (The Antenna Man) who reviews antennas and provided updates on things like NextGen TV(ATSC 3.0) and other OTA topics. It sounds like broadcast stations will be moving to the MPEG-4 standard (perhaps as part of the NextGen TV rollout, but it speaks to the fact that without any planned update to the Recast (software or hardware) it’s likely to become a $200 doorstop. Sad as it has (had) a lot of potential…

1. Shirley Dulcey says:

I think you mean ATSC 3.0. The Recast will never pick up ATSC 3.0 channles. The ATSC 3.0 channels are so sparse now that only hybrid 3.0/1.0 network tuners are being produced.
    We're in the early days of ATSC 3.0 introduction. It's like ATSC 1.0 in 2003 or thereabouts, there wasn't a lot to watch. Eventually we'll reach a tipping point and the floodgates will open... either that or the technology will be a flop, hard to say.

1. Paul says:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did exactly. Is "Remapper for DAZN" now working correctly? If so, can you please list the exact steps that made it work?
    I’m getting error install failed version downgrade when trying on fire stick max 4k. Any help?

1. Patrick Martin says:

Wow. This really sucks! I rarely recorded things, but I loved being able to place the antenna remotely from the TV and not having to run coax to physically connect them. I had frankly been waiting for an upgrade and not a discontinuation. Kinda surprised. This will end my Amazon-centeic setup if true.

1. Jon The Baptist says:

If I was moving back to the Los Angeles area, I'd go pick one up at Best Buy as there's a crap ton of OTA channels you can pick up with a piece of wire on the antenna plug,thanks to Mt Wilson.But sadly, I now live like a hermit in BFE, with just a speedy innertube connection.

1. Rik Emmett says:

The advantage for Tivo is that you don't need broadband internet for OTA. You can get by 100mb of slow mobile data per month to download the guide data. The recast should have the ability to record from streaming apps that support the tv everywhere protocol. If you're using the fire tv recast you have to have broadband so you would want to record from every source, OTA and TV Everywhere.

1. Rik Emmett says:

Well… this answers my question about what they plan to do about broadcast stations moving to MPEG-4 (which is currently not transcoded by the Recast) - Thanks for the update Elias!!

1. Rik Emmett says:

I think if you can't get guide data, the recast would be disabled, unless you could program it like a VCR by specifying the channel and the time to record.

1. Rik Emmett says:

Right, I have a few 1080i channels and a few 720p channels. No 1080p. All of the sub channels are 480i, which is 90% of the channels. I only have 6 HD channels, the rest of the channels are 480i.

💬  Netflix finally adds Frame Rate Matching for Amazon Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks
  1. K says:

Is anyone getting this on a FTV4K Max stick? I am on the latest Fire OS and Netflix versions that are available and still not getting the notice at video startup that frame rate matching is ON. Turning on Developer Tools shows a 2160p 59.976Mhz setting even when 23.976Mhz content is streaming on Netflix.
    I can't get it to work either.Matching works fine for other apps like Prime and Plex, but not for Netflix (have updated to latest app and Fire OS versions, cleared data and cache etc)?

1. Elias Saba (AFTVnews) says:

Will Amazon eventually disable the Recast with an "update"?

1. Elias Saba (AFTVnews) says:

1. Cubby Villa says:

I love, love the recast! I have a Antop antenna and I have saved $140.00 a month on cutting the cord. The recast works perfectly. I watch TV, and the Recast record's all we need. We have 2 fire sticks and we can watch recordings on either one watching the same recording at the same time on different TV's. Amazing.

1. Mark says:

1. Mark says:

I have one and it’s still hooked up and recording. It does an OK job, but you’re right. It’s always been a blowout special for Prime Days, and its development seemed abandoned shortly after its release.My primary OTR is a Silicon Dust Duo (https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Flex-ATSC-Tuners/dp/B092KM482V) paired with my Synology NAS using Silicon Dust’s DVR software. The UI is better than the AFTV recast but there is a $35/yr license fee.

1. Rik Emmett says:

Ya, I was thinking they would come out with an ATSC 3 recast for sure, I guess maybe not, we'll see.

1. Elias Saba (AFTVnews) says:

Does the 7" tablet fit your pocket?
    It's 4.63 inches wide, so I would say it would only fit in VERY large pockets.

1. Rik Emmett says:

Does the 7" tablet fit your pocket?

1. Matthew says:

It could have been great. An avid Tivo user, I bought the 1 TB Recast during that first Pre-Prime Week where they were $179. It actually worked really good, and I loved the integration into one guide of a budget pay tv streamer, free OTT channels, and my antenna channels, but was relegated to my use only because it was difficult for family to use due to interface (until the FireTV remote with the live tv button came out). Mine went on eBay when I got tired of visiting vacation home and only being able to watch my shows on my phone or Fire tablet. Still use exclusively FireTV to access in both places, but now they are used for Channels DVR with a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun 4 channel tuner with ATSC 3. Amazon seems to be far more mainstream than niche and I see the physical DVR being more and more a niche "geek" thing as the streaming services and their limited and expensive cloud DVRS take over. Recast had a great thing going with the free lifetime guide, but for the remote viewing I get with Channels I'm willing to spend the $8 a month.

1. Michael says:

Were you able to fast forward through commercials?
    Yes, with the Fire Stick remote. Not automatically.

1. Ari says:

Renatonico, I thought I was the only with that issue (can't connect when trying to delete). I had Google Nest (replaced with Eeeo Pro 6 E). I thought that possibly the Recast was connecting on 2.4ghz and Fire Cube on 5ghz. There is no way to force it on either of those routers.It picks what it thinks is best. Rebooting Recast and/or Cube usually resolves it.

1. Renatonico says:

1. Dc says:

I use mine almost every day, either to watch a recording or to watch an OTA broadcast on a Show. I sure hope it stays functional, unlike the soon to be disabled Cloud Cams. I may not buy any more Amazon electronics if they are not functional for more than four years.
    Were you able to fast forward through commercials?

1. Ari says:

Get AFTVnews articles in your inbox!

Get an email anytime a new article is published.
No Spam EVER and Cancel Anytime.