Recent Comments

💬 How to Enable or Disable the Profile Selection at wake on an Amazon Fire TV and Firestick
  1. J says:

I don't see the ability to remove it as well. The new update hit this week and it's kind of annoying to keep selecting the profile watching every day.
    I hate it because my bfs exes profile now keeps popping up when it used to not and now I get a daily reminder of her not being an adg

💬 Fire TV Stick Lite is on sale for $19.99 — Best price outside of Prime Day / Black Friday
  1. Red says:

Get one for free when paying $4.98 for a month of Discovery+, you can cancel right away. https://get.discoveryplus.com/firetvoffer/?
    How do you get the free Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite with Alexa Voice Remote Lite? Purchase a subscription to discovery+ (Ad-Free) with promo code FIRETV1 or purchase a subscription to discovery+ (Ad-Lite) with promo code FIRETV2 Once you subscribe, you'll receive a confirmation email with a one-time unique code and redemption instructions to get your free Fire TV Stick Lite. Use the code from your confirmation email on Amazon.com before 5/20/21 to get your free Fire TV Stick Lite.

1. Red says:

Make sure to use promo code FIRETV2 for the $4.98 plan, FIRETV1 for the $6.98 ad free plan.

1. Red says:

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Y2Bogus says:

I fell out of love with harmony early on, when their customer service reps on their forums kept telling me I was using their remotes wrong.I asked how to change the order of the devices so that the 4 devices I used most would be on the first page on my remote. They told me I should use activities instead. I don't want to use activities, because sometimes I just need to do something simple like switching an input. So that was my first and last harmony.

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. Jack says:

Whoops, meant to say Charlie. Not Roy.
    Thanks CHARLIE!

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. Elias Saba (AFTVnews) says:

Thanks ROY!
    Whoops, meant to say Charlie. Not Roy.

💬 Why you should never power a Fire TV Stick from your TV’s USB port
  1. Zeric says:

Can I use my mains socket which has a USB port built in ?
    Probably, it depends on the output current. The USB port built into mains sockets usually can supply 2 amps which plenty for a Fire stick. Check the specs for the socket, if it puts out 1.5A or more, then you are good. Even 1A will probably work. Many TVs only put out 500mA (0.5A) which is a problem.

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. Tim says:

I got one. Went back to get a second one and it is now unavailable.

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Bob says:

I have a Harmony Elite, or rather had. When I had a cable box, Seperate Blu Ray player, multiple game consoles that didn't have HDMI-CEC it made sense to use it. Now in that room it's a receiver, the Fire Stick, Xbox Series X, PS4, and Switch. All of which have HDMI CEC.I also have an Echo Dot in the room too to help control the lights and AC.For me, 1 TV remote does enough for when I'm watching shows and the other remotes are game controllers for each system. Even then, I can use my manufacturers TV remote to control basic commands on most of the devices as well. I just don't see a need for the Harmony when HDMI-CEC talks to everything connected to the TV.
    I guess that I am not bright enough to get my HDMI to talk to one another properly. I really think it will not work with the CEC...but I am also controlling a DAC and a vintage CD Transport and some other things....so for me..I am sticking with the Elite....I may buy a spare! LOL!...

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. MMcD says:

According to the top review of the Studio dated 3-28-21, this happened before. Would Amazon really make the same mistake twice? I ordered 3 BTW. Not sure why.

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. Jack says:

Credit goes to a tip from Roy, a site reader.
    Thanks ROY!

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. Elias Saba (AFTVnews) says:

Holy sh***! Elias, you've done it again. I still laugh about my $5 4k firestick.
    Credit goes to a tip from Roy, a site reader.

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. Bird man says:

I got one. We will see if they honor it and how good it is.

💬 How to update your sideloaded Peacock TV app on Amazon Fire TV and Firestick — New FEB. 2021 APK
  1. Jannis says:

Latest 2117 says outraged on my firestick

💬 Price Mistake! Get an Echo Studio for $114.98 before the price is corrected
  1. Jack says:

💬 Why you should never power a Fire TV Stick from your TV’s USB port
  1. Tony Swales says:

Can I use my mains socket which has a USB port built in ?

💬 Roku announces new rechargeable Voice Remote Pro with hands free voice
  1. Robert J says:

Micro usb in 2021? Yikes...

💬 Roku announces new rechargeable Voice Remote Pro with hands free voice
  1. Charlie_ says:

Just what people were clamoring for.I know when I use my tv remote I go "man, this is cool but I wish it had battery life rated in hours instead of months" "man, this is cool but it would be cooler if I had to keep it tethered to my wall like my phone" etc etc etcAdding a mic to the square remote from the Wireless Speakers would have made more sense as an accessory.

1. cag says:

Off topic: Elias, I have Fire-TV Gen 2. I have always struggled to have over 1.0 GB when looking at Manage Installed Applications. and after clearing cache, maybe 1.2 at most. Today before watching a movie I went in to clear cache and it said 1.88 GB available !!! I cleared cache nevertheless on all apps as usual. Now it is 2.12 GB available !!! WOW Never had that much.I "may" have uninstalled a few rarely used apps recently but not even sure I did that, but nothing major uninstalled, kept Firefox. It shows Fire OS 5.2.7.8 Any idea what might have changed??? Thanks for your site.

💬 Roku announces new Express 4K player and Streambar Pro soundbar
  1. Red says:

You may be working in a separate piece on it Elias but they also announced Roku OS 10 and it sounds like they aimed at a few areas people really dislike on the new FTV interface. Also adding airplay and homekit on some models.From thestreamable: "Improving User Experience Instant Resume Among the new features coming to Roku OS 10 are “Instant Resume,” which helps users get back to the content they were watching within supported channels faster.With Instant Resume, when users launch a channel again, reload times will be much quicker and they will be taken back to the place where they last left off for a much faster, smoother experience. Instant resume will be supported on 15+ streaming channels/services, with AT&T TV, Plex, and STARZ being the major services to support it initially.Customizable Live TV Guide The Roku Live TV Guide is also getting a major update, with users now able to customize their live channel guide by hiding certain channels or marking others as favorites, a major request of users since it launched last year. You can also quickly select from a list of recently watched channels."Sounds good, will see when it arrives.

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Brad W says:

Brad...I am glad that you are satisfied with your set-up.....in my experience you are describing a system that works great for a causal user, who is OK with multiple remotes and who can only find tune their devices from each individual remote, right?. I find that the Harmony Elite can control all of the small commands in all my devices. I really just need this one remote. If it had a Mic it would be perfect. Understanding the Harmony, how it works and setting it up at it's best is a pretty big learning curve though, that most people are not willing to invest. I believe that is why the Harmony has lost popularity...It’s become pretty complicated....

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Kevy Kev says:

☹️ So Sad

💬 These are the Fire TV models that are getting the new redesigned interface
  1. ehowland says:

I have every version of firestick, only version3 (pendant) has new interface as of 4/13/21.

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Bob says:

Newer tvs with hdmi cec setup can control the tv and receiver by setting the proper inputs to use the device in question. I can turn on the TV and receiver and have everything on the proper inout when I press the power button on my fire stick. If I use my xbox remote to turn on the xbox, everything switches to the right inout again. Then turn off the tv with any remote and everything is turned off.When all I have in my media room are these two devices, I really don't need a remote that controls them all doing the exact same thing.

💬 Amazon tweaks Navigation Menu on New Fire TV Interface for a 3rd time
  1. Karen says:

The interface is designed to maximize profitability. Anyone who dislikes the interface isn't someone that amazon wants as a customer. There is plenty of free content with commercials to watch without even subscribing to any streaming service.
    Yes, Rick. The interface is designed to maximize profitability, but they still must consider the user and their viewing experience.I watch a lot of free programs, but I also subscribe to channels. While I am browsing and see something whether free or not and I mark it to come back to, I would like to have easier access to those items and hence want to see the Watchlist on the home page and not tucked away under a submenu. And, since I paid for multiple Fire TV devices and move from one to the next in my home, I would like to see what I was last looking at back at the top of the rows on the Home page hence wanting to see Recently Viewed back where it was and how it was functioning. It made it wonderfully easy to continue watching something that you were in the middle of watching ... where you left off ... from device to device. Moving Recently Viewed anywhere other than where it was made my viewing experience worse, not better.I think their navigation should be an improvement and not a make things worse for their customers. And, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I can see where they were going with their changes, but I think they failed the customers with those two items, at least.Paying customers will complain with change and their comments should be heard and considered. We have the right to move on to other devices and services too. Just saying...

💬 Amazon tweaks Navigation Menu on New Fire TV Interface for a 3rd time
  1. Rik Emmett says:

💬 When will your Fire TV or Firestick get the New Interface? — Current and Future Rollout Status
  1. Rik Emmett says:

40% of the screen is ads for what Amazon wants you to watch. Tiny strip showing recently used apps. Difficult to use without glasses now.

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Brad W says:

Thing is, A streaming remote can control nothing beyond the device it was made for. Sure, on SOME you can control the volume and/or power of the TV...Oh boy, what a thrill. But they cannot, and do not control the AVR, Blu ray player, change the inputs on the TV, change the TV channels...No, streaming remotes can't compete. 6% market share or 60%, this is a definite poor decision call on Logitech's part.

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Mark says:

💬 Fire TV Stick 4K is not getting Fire OS 7 with the New Interface Update
  1. Patrick Kelly says:

I finally got the update tonight but during the programing of my remote I accidentally hit something so even though I got the update my remote won't work. I have tried everything to try to get it to work but to no avail. I did get the remote app on my phone but my girlfriend is pissed the remote isn't working. I don't know what to do next

💬 All the newly expanded Alexa/Echo hands-free voice controls for Fire TV devices
  1. JIM SAGENDORPH says:

With the new Fire TV experience, how do you select the user profile with voice commands? Before this change, I could say “Alexa, play NBC on Hulu” and my TV to would turn on and play NBC on Hulu. Now, my TV turns on an stops at the new “Who’s Watching Fire TV?” screen.

💬 How to add External USB OTG Storage and Move Apps on the Fire TV Stick Lite, Fire TV Stick 3, and Fire TV Cube
  1. christal says:

I have the Firetv 4k software updated version 6.2.7.7 I bought a OTG cable off Amazon plugged it into the stick then plugged in the thumb drive and I get a notice down in the right hand corner which flashes on and off. I went to settings "my firestick" and there is nothing saying I have the thumb drive plugged in. It doesn't show up anywhere even after a reboot and trying several thumb drives. What can I do to get the stick to see the thumb drive? Thanks
    Hi I was wondering if you figured out the the issue you were having. I'm going through the same problem now. No usb drive is shown in my settings anywhere.

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Bob says:

Not sure about your specific ac unit, but a lot of ac units and music can be played through voice e.g. alexa.As for anything tv or projector related which most harmonys were used for, hdmi-cec does a great job these days with zero set up effort.
    Hmmm. I had a different experience...LOL!I had to turn off all of the CEC controls on my HiSense TV, Marantz, Panasonic BD3000, and FireStick etc...they were all trying to talk at once, and it was a big mess! I currently have 10 things in my home that I control with the Harmony...There is one remote on my coffee table, and I do not need a phone or tablet except to stream HD music... I do have the very small Firestick remote out which I "occasionally" use if I need a Mic to facilitate a search...but I know it is a personal choice thing, but I just am NOT an Alexa or Siri kind OG guy......but I am one of the crazy people who invested the time in setting that all up. I "get" that it is not for everyone...and I am sure that I am in the minority as usual..LOL...Harmony has discontinued the product, what more is there to say...!

💬 Amazon Fire TV Sticks gain new Audio/Video Sync Adjustment Option
  1. Marcus says:

im having the same problem as others when its use for a couple of hours the sync drifts off again

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. James says:

Hmmmm? I just bought an Refurb Harmony Elite Remote with The Hub on eBay at REALLY reasonable cost. This thing is GREAT! Runs all my AVR/TV/Surround-Sound Set-Up...Bluetooth, infared, whatever... I have everything on it... I am setting up my 12-year old Woo Audio WTP-1 CD Transport and my Anedio D2 DAC that I run a tube amp off of as well!...Also just put my AC units on it as well......this thing ROCKS!....Is there another way to do all of this on one remote? I like it better than a phone/tablet!

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Bob says:

💬 Amazon Echo Show 10 w/ Free Smart Bulb is on sale for $199.99 — New Lowest Price Ever
  1. Elias Saba (AFTVnews) says:

How does that work with the Ring light bulb? Doesn't that require the Ring lighting bridge, unless that is now built into the Echo Show 10 Gen 2?
    Like you guessed below, these bulbs and others, like the Philips Hue bulbs, worth with Zigbee. The Echo Show 10 has a built-in Zigbee hub so it does not need a separate bridge/hub to control Ring and Philips Hue bulbs.

💬 Where to find Fire TV Recast DVR content, recordings, and settings in new Fire TV interface
  1. Ralph Kramden (impersonator) says:

Why make it so hard to find when it was so easy before?Now, where is the WATCH LIST

💬 Logitech discontinues all of their Harmony Universal Remotes
  1. Brad W says:

I used to have a Harmony in every room a few years ago. But with the proliferation of streaming and a single remote can control all of the devices out of the box thanks to HDMI-CEC, I've put most of mine away.

💬 Firefox browser is leaving Amazon Fire TV and Echo Show at the end of the month
  1. Red says:

I use adguard DNS as well from my router so every device I use like fire tv and shield tv will block ads but you lost me starting with “ I override...”Btw on certain movie streaming sites does using adguard DNS prevent some movies from playing it there were popup ads?
    Yes, I use Blockada DNS at router currently. Works well, I have not noticed a site that was "broken" by it other than a few iPad/iOS app games that are not happy at times because they can't serve an ad. I told the household member to relaunch or reboot and otherwise delete & forget about it.To answer Jim re movie streaming sites being messed up - I have not noticed it, also for instance use Silk on FTV stick to go to CBS site to watch "Sunday Morning" and it plays w/o ads just fine, the segments just follow on w/no "black screen" for the minutes that ads would be running. Another example not on firestick is a using ABC app on iPad, show plays w/o ads & just a sec. or two break between segments. I suppose someday they may "fix" this, hopefully there will be a solution in the never ending cat/mouse game.

1. Adam says:

Oops..I meant Echo Show Gen 3. Wonder if the bulb is just Zigbee and connecting via that.

1. Adam says:

💬 These are the Fire TV models that are getting the new redesigned interface
  1. George Ivany says:

Will my Firestick 4K get the new OS 7 interface? It is April 12, and it hasn’t be updated yet,

1. Gerard Pinzone says:

So, Gerald, that override part is not applicable to browser of firestick? Just when on a (windows) computer?
    Correct However, AdBlock Origin isn't an option of the FireTV, so you're better off leaving the adguard DNS for the FireTV.

1. Red says:

1. Gerard Pinzone says:

I haven't experienced an issue on an app like IMDB. However, the ads still play on the FireTV.Let's say you use Firefox as your browser on Windows. I want control over ad blocking in case there are sites that don't work properly. If your DNS is set at the router to be ad blocked, you need to override the DNS to a non-adblocked one for the browser. You COULD override the DNS settings in the Windows network configuration, but that would affect everything running on Windows. Instead, you can turn on DNS-over-HTTPS in Firefox and provide it with a different DNS server. I use the non-filtered AdGuard DNS: https://dns-unfiltered.adguard.com/dns-queryThat way I can control which sites are adblocked through uBlock Origin. I'm assuming there's something similar in Chrome. Even Edge (which is now based on Chrome) has a DNS-over-HTTPS option.

💬 Amazon tweaks Navigation Menu on New Fire TV Interface for a 3rd time
  1. Vini Santos says:

Im in canada and using a fire tv recast with a firestick 4k. I know the recast is not supported officially in Canada, but before the UI update it was working great. Sice the new UI update i can no longer find my recordings. The recordings should be under the librat icon. Strange things is that i can still program a recording and watch from a firestick that still have the old UI. I contacted support and they tried to help me but when they ran out of ideal, they told me its becuse im in Canada. Anyone else in canada with the same issue and have you found a fix?
    I'm also in Canada and I found my recordings by entering "Recordings" in "Find" or by using the voice commands. This is so ridiculous it's not even funny!

💬 Amazon tweaks Navigation Menu on New Fire TV Interface for a 3rd time
  1. Vini Santos says:

It took me 45 minutes to find my Recast recordings. Nothing should be this difficult, especially when it's an Amazon product. Amazon support will be getting many calls asking "where are my recast recording". It should be way more obvious that that.
    Same! This is ridiculous!

💬 Amazon tweaks Navigation Menu on New Fire TV Interface for a 3rd time
  1. Vini Santos says:

I found this thread after googling "where are my recordings". I cannot understand why that would not be front and center if you have a recast??
    Same! This is ridiculous!

Get AFTVnews articles in your inbox!

Get an email anytime a new article is published.
No Spam EVER and Cancel Anytime.