Recent Comments

💬  How to remap the App Buttons on Fire TV Remotes with Remapper — Updated January 2023
  1. Jim says:

I recently picked up a Firestick 4k Max w/4 app button remote. All updates installed prior to starting re-mapper procedure. Per this article, I enabled Developer Options ->ADB ON and installed Downloader. I uninstalled Hulu and installed the Hulu re-mapper successfully. I pointed it to YouTube TV. Restarted... The Hulu button does nothing. If I run the re-mapper app, it will launch YouTube TV as expected.What did I miss? What do I need to do to get YouTube TV to launch with the Hulu button?

💬  How to Sideload APK Apps on Amazon Fire TV, Stick, Stick Lite, Stick 4K, Cube, or Fire TV Edition with Downloader — Updated Sept. 2020
  1. Anthony Herrera says:

I have a Samsung QN900a TV that does not have a google play. I want to use a usb driver with your downloader mpk if possible. i am unable to download just the installer or file and try it on my tv using my windows 10 pc. Please advise

💬  Fire TV Cube 3 is back on sale as well as all Fire TV Sticks
  1. ricklar says:

How is the transfer of all settings from a Fire Cube 2 done to the Fire Cube 3?
    FFS (frustration-free-setup), is a system-app that logs your Amazon device specific settings, apps installed from Amazon Appstore, and Amazon's proprietary apps individual settings then stores that info in the "cloud" to be transferred to a new device on first set-up. This doesn't save or transfer settings for non-Amazon apps or third-party apps, for those you'll have to setup the apps like new installs.

💬  Fire TV Cube 3 is back on sale as well as all Fire TV Sticks
  1. Jeff Ferguson says:

How is the transfer of all settings from a Fire Cube 2 done to the Fire Cube 3?

💬  Fire TV Stick 3 & Stick Lite share the same model number and are the same size as the Fire TV Stick 2
  1. Kathy says:

I have a Alexis fire stick with no TV controls. I would like to upgrade the remote to a remote with TV controls. Can I do this and what should I order?Thanks
    I’m wanting to do the same, did you ever get a reply?

💬  Fire TV Stick 4K Max fully supports External USB Storage with ease
  1. Joek says:

The 4K Max will only recognize the external partition of a mixed use USB drive, but connecting an additional drive using a compatible USB hub, allows for the formatting as extended internal space with the USB option under the My Fire TV section in settings. I wound up with two USB drives in the hub, yielding 32 GB extended internal space and 256 GB external space formatted as exFAT in order to accommodate large movie files (>4 GB).
    I thought the article said you can't do that? I put 2 drives in my hub and only the second one showed. Showed 59 Gb external, and still the 5 and change Gb internal, not with the extra 30 Gb from the first thumb drive. How'd you get both to work simultaneously, above they say you can't use 2 sticks for different purposes.

💬  Amazon spent $16.6 billion on streaming content in 2022 — Up 28% from 2021
  1. Keith says:

Damn that's a big number And it's not even the biggest part of the company Scary how massive it's gotten I remember when Amazon was just a cool place to order books, physical books delivered to your door.

💬  Fire TV Cube gains Improved Upscaling as well as DTS, DTS-HD, and Dolby True HD audio passthrough in latest software update
  1. clocks says:

Just tested it. It’s a huge difference between Tubi on my TV’s app and the Fire Cube. While the cube didn’t make Tubi look like 4k it cleared it up a lot, more than I expected.
    Cool, thanks for checking. Maybe I will upgrade one of my Gen2 cubes during the next sale.

1. Gary Thompson says:

I actually was going to ask, but didn't want to be a pest. Thanks!I have a couple cubes now, and unless the upscaling is good, I was not going to pay the price to upgrade. At least not until the prices come down.

1. clocks says:

Yeah you can’t go off of the previous reviews, the update is the difference maker. Amazon should’ve waited to release the unit until that update was ready.I’ll take a look at tubi and let you know the comparison.

1. Gary Thompson says:

Interesting. I am not that worried about 1080p to 4k. More so about 720p to 1080 or 4k. Most those ad supported services like Tubi seem stuck at 720p, and wish there was something that made the look a bit better. Also, with how little I watch my Netflix, I would like to drop it down to the 720 plan.It seems most of the feedback I have seen since launch, people said the upscaling did not make any noticeable difference. But maybe I had gotten better with updates.

1. clocks says:

It helps with that too. I used Kodi to watch some fights recently and that’s usually 720p or low quality 1080i. We have the lowest Netflix sub also playing in 720p and that looks great too.It won’t make 720p look like real 4k but it’s a massive improvement. Well worth the $140. For me it was being frustrated not having 4k sports to watch, this is a nice bridge until that’s available

1. Gary Thompson says:

How does it do with upscaling 720p? I want something that will make TubiTV look decent

1. clocks says:

Just bought a 3rd gen fire cube and the upscaling is excellent. Looks better than the Shield, the Shield sometimes overdoes it on the upscale.Watched a couple NBA games, one through an OTA signal going to a media player run through the cube via hdmi and the other on Fubotv through the cube. Both looked significantly better than regular HD.Being able to play your cable box/media device through the Cube for upscaling is a big advantage. Great product.

1. Gary Thompson says:

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Matt Rizzo says:

Fire recast is dead, it doesn't support the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast format and will be unable to receive off-air signals once the transition to ATSC 3.0 is complete.
    "It's dead as it doesn't support ATSC 3.0".By that logic, about 99% of all the DVRs being used today (HDHomeRun, Tablo, Tivo, every brand, etc.) are dead also. As very few ASTC 3.0 models have yet been sold.As others have said, all these models, including the Recast, will live on for many more years yet.

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Doc Wadder says:

I’ll worry about that around 2030 or so.

💬  How to block software updates on the Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick
  1. sam says:

Security exception: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS.java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS. at android.app.ContextImpl.enforce(ContextImpl.java:1861) at android.app.ContextImpl.enforceCallingOrSelfPermission(ContextImpl.java:1889) at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setApplicationHiddenSettingAsUser(PackageManagerService.java:14100) at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runSetHiddenSetting(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:1644) at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:216) at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:103) at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:21668) at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:634) at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:532) at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:2796) at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:3975) at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:731)

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Aardvark says:

That is true but under the current rules, that would not happen before 2028, at the earliest, and that would depend on every single ATSC 1.0 signal on the air now having an ATSC 3.0 signal up and running by the end of the year to start the clock counting down. Here in the NYC area, that is not going to happen. Not one full power station has an ATSC 3.0 signal here. There is no spectrum available other than VHF low channels 2, 4 and 5. Everything else is used up. The 600 MHz sale eliminated all spare spectrum around here. It was such a clusterf__k that even our local PBS station on RF channel 13, that had been on that frequency for decades even with the digital switch, had to move to RF channel 12 to allow 13 to be used by another station to the northeast of us moving from a UHF frequency.I am sure the hardware and software will fail long before the ATSC 1.0 signals go away.

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. BK says:

💬  Streaming Super Bowl LVII 2023 will be Free without any logins
  1. Jeff W says:

But how can we stream “The Puppy Bowl”? Priorities, right?

💬  How to reset all app Permission Notifications on Amazon Fire TV & Firestick
  1. James says:

Downloader works on all Fire TVs. Fire OS 5 devices don't ask for permission because all apps on Fire OS 5 already have permission to access files.If Downloader is not working, try entering your URL on a phone or computer to see if your URL is dead.
    If you are a new customer with Amazon Fire stick they do not give permission for your downloader and the downloader has been upgraded so it will not give you permission to download certain things

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Jeff W says:

My Galaxy S8+ works more reliably with my Recast than any of my Amazon devices. For example, when I can't delete recordings through my Cube or Firesticks I go to the S8+ and "Voila" - No problems. Sometimes when I try to watch a recorded show my Amazon FireStick informs me that my wired Ethernet connection has been severed from the Recast, I use my S8+ - No problem. IMHO it is either incompetence, indifference, ineptitude or some combination of the 3 on Amazon's side. Once the proverbial check clears they just don't care.
    When you can’t delete from the stick or cube, the cure is to restart them. That’s why you can still delete from the app. What the recast is doing to cause the issue is anybody’s guess, but at least the fix is an easy one.

💬  Amazon spent $16.6 billion on streaming content in 2022 — Up 28% from 2021
  1. Tj says:

Insane numbers.

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Justin Seine says:

My issue, beyond the plethora of intermittent Recast failures to connect to various devices for the 1 to 2 years I've had it, is that after I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra to an S22 Ultra, Recast fails to play live tv or recordings on the new S22. It connects just fine, and I can see what's on live tv, and can see my recordings, but can't play them or play live tv. Dozens of others with S22's and other newer phone models reporting same. Don't know if it's a missing codec, or changed screen resolution incompatibility or what, but Amazon clearly doesn't care and isn't updating the android app to fix it. I still have an ancient S4 on hand, and it works fine on the S4, but the S4 battery life is about 20 minutes, and don't want to carry 2 phones around, the S4 not even having cellular access.

💬  Explanation of the “FireTV Player” app and why it suddenly appeared on your Fire TV
  1. Dean says:

Why is it steaming ten times more data since 1/30/23

1. Jason says:

Hi! This is neat, and I was wondering is there a way to unbind a button, for example Hulu? The reason is that I am trying to use a flight stick with Steam Link on my Fire TV, and there is one important button that opens Hulu every time it is pressed. For some reason the device thinks my primary fire button is me wanting to watch Hulu. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is the only lead I have on a solution. Cheers!

💬  Streaming Super Bowl LVII 2023 will be Free without any logins
  1. Nick Cannon says:

Awesome I noticed the last playoff games streamed for me for free. With all the ads I think it should be free anyway.

💬  Streaming Super Bowl LVII 2023 will be Free without any logins
  1. Shirley Dulcey says:

Anyone in the US, that is. The streams are likely to be geographically locked, and I believe that downloads of the app are as well.Although Fox may make 4K streams available to mobile devices, it's unlikely that most mobile networks will allow their customers to stream at that resolution. 4K streaming to your phone or tablet will be possible if you're on a WiFi network.

💬  How to enable Apps from Unknown Sources on an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick
  1. Daniel says:

I don’t have the option of developer option on my stick

💬  How to Sideload APK Apps on the Amazon Echo Show 15
  1. curiousDolphin says:

Someone has another workaround to sideload apk on last firmware? Or some way to rollback the firmware?For my mistake i recently reset my Echo and i Lost fully kiosk with my home assistant dashboard now the show 15 Is useless

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. Chris says:

I have both little boxes I've had them since they created them and I've been programming them with other programs to receive programming of movies and TV for free and I've learned how to download apps onto these boxes and the total amount of programming you get on these little boxes after you download these apps over a million channels from children's shows and movies to adult shows and movies including free pay-per-view events and all the other apps you have to pay for and all includes local channels and foreign channels and I profited very well with learning how to put in these apps and people are happy to receive these for one price knowing that the price that they are paying is only going to be one time because cable TV and satellite TV are way over the cost when you only receive 60 channels with them and you have to pay for pay-per-view and all the other channels and it seems like all these companies like Disney HBO Showtime Cinemax pay-per-view they're on these companies that charge everyone for channels they can receive for free with these Android boxes so I'm very happy that I learned how to program these a lot of people buy them but they don't understand that there's a lot they can get out just that little box if they knew how to program it and there's tools in the menu that you can use to program these little boxes and get millions of channels and the pictures are fine the remote if you have a problem all that has to be done is to factory reset your box and start the program of programming the box with the remote all over again and then put all the programming in that you need to watch all the shows you want

💬  Walmart may be discontinuing its Onn Streaming Stick and 4K Streaming Box
  1. Damian says:

Wow. Terrible news. Hopefully they come with an updated model. Only other game in town is the CCGTV.

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. K Killian says:

I've battled that exact same bug for months with zero success. Don't even know if it's a Samsung or Amazon issue. I dug out a very old Ipad that still works and I can watch live and recordings on that. I have given up all hope of getting Recast on my S22

💬  How to open Sideloaded Apps using the Fire TV Pro Remote’s customizable buttons
  1. Dennis says:

Can Kodi be installed in the remapper???

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. Jean says:

To make this a better box the ram and the storage should be increased. I for one would pay extra for these improvements

💬  Amazon Luna cloud gaming continues free access for Prime members with 4 new games
  1. Tj says:

They're also offering 2 free months of Luna for those that are new or haven't subbed in a long time. https://twitter.com/amazonluna/status/1620134878145552386?s=20&t=GbfA3NYfrKJLzFB9DfOX5A
    edit: 2 Free months of Luna +

1. Tj says:

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. ricklar says:

"DV6105Z" - can't read the Chinese graphic, but if that is the model number, then to me that signifies the 4K model will now be made by a different OEM, by SDMC. SDMC uses (DV) in the prefix of their model designations. Previously the 4K-model was made by Askey and only the HD-stick was made by SDMC.

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. Susan Gant says:

When is it going to be released I have to buy one
    Susan Dallas,TxIf you are talking about the OON. The picture was good but,if you wanted to listen to your earbud's it made them sound like crap.

💬  For those important reminders, Alexa can now follow-up with you to make sure you didn’t miss the message
  1. Just Helping says:

Saying "Alexa Stop" works for me to end the current reminder

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. Cthulhu says:

Had the 4k box. Casting didn't always work well, and the remote would lose connectivity often (even though it still changed volume and input on the TV).I've since got the CCwGTV, while using the Onn remote, and everything's just fine.
    I recently upgraded to the Chromecast with Google TV 4K edition and it's definitely a major upgrade from the Chromecast with Google TV the 1080p version. I have a 4K TV from 2018 that has Chromecast built-in but it was Soo slow but the picture looked good. The TV finally got to the point where it wasn't casting apps that well and the apps that were on the TV were super slow. I got a Chromecast with Google TV but I immediately noticed the picture didn't look that good & that's when I realized I had the 1080p CCwGTV. I took it back and got the CCwGTV the 4K edition & WOW the picture is gorgeous. The difference between 1080p & 4K with HDR is night and day noticable. Idk if it's true or not but I feel like the 4K version is slightly faster (barely noticeable). I will say the Google TV experience is brilliant compared to the streaming box competitors. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a cheap but awesome 4K experience with the brilliance that is Google TV OS ✌️

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. Tony G. says:

I absolutely love the original onn Android version and purchase several to add to every tv I have in the house. I am able to add storage and download apps that makes my Roku tv a monster of entertainment. Take it for what it is and stop complaining. Way to go Walmart. Thanks.

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. Mark says:

Hey Elias, Launch Studios description says Google TV not Android TV!! What do yo make of that, maybe THAT's the big change.?? . https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/129475 . Product List Product Name Product Website Product Category Archive Date Model Number Subset ID Description onn. 4K Streaming Box Google TV www.walmart.com Audio and Visual 2023-01-06 110125667 onn. 4K Streaming Box Google TV
    They really made this device sound like crap. I have 2 of them n my kids room and it works better than a firestick. Me personally I prefer streaming box's nvidia shield and my formuler gtv

💬  Amazon now forbids Fire TV apps from directly launching content within other streaming apps
  1. letour_001 says:

FYI. ROKU has begun to support the CONTINUE WATCHING feature for select streaming services from the Home Page that was announced with the update to version 11.5 of the Roku OS. In the WHAT TO WATCH menu on the Roku Home Page you can now get CONTINUE WATCHING support for content from Netflix, HBO Max, Paramount+, Prime Video and the Roku Channel.AMAZON / FIRE TV needs to do the same, particularly if they are going to block third party apps from direct linking. If they don't, the FIRE TV UI is going to get a lot less use and sponsor supported revenue from this household.

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Jj J says:

As the rules stand right now, broadcasters have to keep an ATSC 1.0 signal going for a minimum of five years after they start ATSC 3.0 transmissions. So even if the entire country converted over this month, it would be 2028 before the last ATSC 1.0 signal could be shutdown under the current rules (hint: expect a flurry of waivers from broadcasters asking the rule to be rescinded so they can terminate ATSC 1.0 immediately). I suspect the Recast devices will have started failing before then. Plus, here in the New York City area, none of the major outlets are on ATSC 3.0 yet due to lack of spectrum. I fully expect there to still be ATSC 1.0 signals around here in 2030.My box is quite young at two years so I assume the hard drive will last for a few more years, which I suspect is the major point of failure. I have not looked to see if anyone has tackled the job of trying to do a hard drive swap. A few years ago I replaced failed hard drives on several older Tivo devices and also replaced failed capacitors on them as well. There is plenty of documentation on repairing Tivo's.

💬  New Walmart Onn 4K Android/Google TV Streamer makes its first appearance
  1. Philip says:

When is it going to be released I have to buy one

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Aardvark says:

They haven’t fixed a bug or updated any features In quite some time, but it still goes chugging along. I suspect that it’ll just keep going until the broadcasters have all switched to ASTC 3.0, at which point the hardware itself will simply become obsolete.

💬  Amazon’s Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR isn’t dead
  1. Jeff W says:

Hopefully some third party will develop some sort of apps. I have 6 firesticks and work great with the recast box. Making it unnecessary to run coax to all my TV's. Now what after it becomes unsupported? What a shame for loyal customers.

💬  YouTube’s mobile app will soon sync with what you’re watching on your Fire TV’s YouTube app
  1. Commonsense says:

Utterly stupid can’t put the comments in my app on the television I have to use two devices why don’t I just view it on my damn phone what a waste

Get AFTVnews articles in your inbox!

Get an email anytime a new article is published.
No Spam EVER and Cancel Anytime.