Amazon to cut off IFTTT’s access to Alexa next week

IFTTT, the automation platform that helps to connect different services and devices together, has revealed that Amazon is killing the link between Alexa and IFTTT on October 31st. This means that all IFTTT applets that can be started through “Alexa, trigger…” or other commands will stop working through Alexa devices at the end of the month. Applets with any Alexa components will also stop working. It’s a shame because Alexa and IFTTT have been integrated together for a very long time and, through that integration, have allowed for many things without voice control to be used through smart speakers.

1. KraziJoe says:

I don’t get it. I understand that Amazon wants you to buy Amazon products to automate other Amazon products, but cutting it all off seems stupid. I was an Alexa/Amazon Fanboy but ditched it all a few years ago because of actions like this. I am sure others might now too.

• Kary says:

I think IFTTT made significant changes lately and a lot of users are abandoning it. Or so I’ve heard on another forum.

• Nathan L Silverman says:

IFTTT is a sinking ship. There is no longer anything you need to do with IFTTT and Alexa that can’t be done directly within Alexa Skills and Alexa Routines, just as you no longer need a hand crank to start your car.

2. Ujn Hunter says:

Any explanation of why?

3. Craig S. says:

Next up? Cutting off support for Matter, Smartthings, Habitat and Home Assistant. Makes about as much sense! But whatever?! I don’t use IFTTT anymore.

• Nathan L Silverman says:

Hardly. Co.s have been dropping support for IFTTT starting with Tuya Smart in July 2020. It has become superfluous. Why should they continue to pay IFTTT for a service that is no longer needed by their users since interconnectibility is now built directly into their products?

4. Mike says:

Is this a sign that Amazon is getting ready to dump Alexa or something? Removing all of the stuff that makes it handy seems a bad route to take.

• tech3475 says:

I doubt they’ll ditch it completely, for now at least.

My guess is this is likely just part of cost cutting measures and/or a way to try and push skills and increase monetisation somehow.

• Brad W says:

Probably more of an encouragement from other smart device makers to integrate with Alexa directly (or whatever the AI/Large Language Model chatbot that’s going to replace Alexa.)

• I wouldn’t say Alexa will be dumped anytime soon, but Amazon has been drastically trying to cut the cost of running Alexa lately, which has included laying off employees working on Alexa and closing/ending certain aspects of Alexa, like this IFTTT support.

5. Flux says:

Amazon will add these things to their $2 monthly fee

6. Greg says:

is downloader not doing auto installs of 3rd party apps anymore? i was downloading an app I’ve used many times and it would go to the install screen. says “saved to sd/downloader/file bin. and when i tried to open it, a message “no app able to handle this” comes up. this happened on multiple firesticks and ONN sticks. that happen to anyone else? thanks in advance.

• Zeric says:

I don’t see how downloader is related, I’m not aware of downloader interfacing to IFTTT at any level.

• That happened because your file incorrectly downloaded as .bin instead of .apk. There is a bug in Downloader v1.4.4 that does that, usually for Dropbox files, that I’ve addressed in the v1.4.5 update. The update went out to Google Play devices this week but hasn’t gone out to Fire TV devices yet.

• Jey says:

Probably the fact that there’s a new version of that app so when searching look for the newest version but one that allows firesticks ect

7. Mark says:

I never could get IFTTT to work right for me, so no real loss, but I know it works for others and this sucks for them.

8. Tom M says:

Will this also stop my Blink system from arming/disarming when I exit/enter a geolocation?

9. Marco Silvestrini says:

And now which is the alternative if there is one good similar to ifttt

10. mike says:

i used IFTTT and alexa as follows.
    I am ADD so i forget things…i add things to my todo list and the IFTTT would email me my todo list every time a new entry was added.

Is there any way to get this to work without IFTTT????

• tech3475 says:

Have you checked the skill store? Had a quick look and there is one called “list assistant” which can email the todo list on request.

Maybe look on the Alexa app as well in case there are potential alternatives/workarounds e.g. use reminders, maybe app integration, use of routines, etc.

11. Lizabeth says:

I’m new to all of this so I’m wondering what is IFTTT and what does it do?

• Nathan L Silverman says:

IFTTT has been on life support for some time. Their original business plan was to supply external connections between home automation apps to provide additional function at no cost to users because the app creators each paid a large sum annually tp IFTTT to sustain its profitability.
      Since then, most home automation creators have vastly expanded the function of their own, including interconnectivity, they have been eliminating and/or reducing their annual payments to IFTTT, which is why ITTT began charging users, trying to pick up the difference, but it has become superfluous. Tuya of Tuya Smart fame started the ball rolling in July of 2020, others followed along the way, and now Alexa has reached a degree of sophistication and connection with other h/a apps to the extent that IFTTT is really no longer needed. So it makes sense that it is better to drop their huge contribution to sustain IFTTT and to instead add those funds to their own continuing development.

12. Jay says:

So will the smart plug I have still work?

• Nathan L Silverman says:

Do you use Alexa to control that smart plug? Have you created an IFTTT action to trigger your smart plug? If not then you are not affected. If so, just modify your Alexa Routine to perform that function within Alexa itself.

13. Nathan L Silverman says:

Since then, most home automation creators have vastly expanded the function of their own apps, including interconnectivity, and they have been eliminating and/or reducing their annual payments to IFTTT, which is why ITTT began charging users, trying to pick up the difference, but it has become superfluous.