Amazon Prime Video will start showing ads in about a month

A few months ago, Amazon revealed that it would begin showing ads in Prime Video, even for those who are Prime members. Amazon is wasting no time because emails have started rolling out to customers telling them to expect to start seeing ads starting on January 29th. The only way to avoid the new ads next month, apart from just not watching Prime Video content, is to pay an extra $2.99 per month on top of your regular Prime membership fee.

1. Ujn Hunter says:

Guess we all should have known that a company that was once viewed as ground breaking, with great customer service, amazing tech products, etc… would just suck people in and then make everything worse (Amazon Music, Echo, Prime Video) after they’ve monopolized everything.

• Dave says:

Not really a monopoly since you can buy basically the same stuff a lot of times cheaper from Walmart Plus

• Ujn Hunter says:

Does Walmart have Amazon Echo? Amazon Alexa? Amazon Music? Amazon Prime Video? No? That’s the monopoly. Smart homes and services… all were amazing when they came out… all slowly became crap once everyone bought in.

• Dave says:

You can get non-Amazon smart speakers, You can get another music service and you can get another steaming service so no they are not a monopoly

• mrvco says:

Assuming that you deem any of these items as mandatory for your personal health and happiness, plenty of alternatives (albeit in an oligopolic sense for particular product silos) from Google, Apple, Sonos, Spotify, Netflix, HBO Max, Disney, et al and available directly or through other marketplaces.

2. Tj says:

Streaming is officially the new Cable TV. Not being interrupted with commercials was fun while it lasted.

3. Kevin W. says:

At first I was ticked off by this email, but then I realized I don’t watch much Prime Video content, then I started thinking about all the value they listed and realized I might as well cancel my prime membership, two/three day shipping is rarely met these days, price is always higher when using Prime (try not logging in sometime and look at price of item, usually, not always, it is lower than when I am logged into my Prime account). Add that all up and it is hard to justify paying the annual fee versus just paying for shipping and buying less stuff.

• mrvco says:

So much content has been removed entirely or moved over to ad-supported Freevee at this point that I very rarely find any content worth watching on Prime Video. Mining Kanopy for compelling content is far more fruitful.

The extra $3/month would be more palatable if it removed ads from Freevee content, but no, that’s the ransom for continued ad-free Prime Video content. Without a major refresh to the content catalog, I don’t see $36/year being worth the spend at this point, especially since the pipeline for new original content has been in the doldrums since ‘The Rings of Power’ came up snake-eyes. Maybe they learned something and the new Fallout series will be better?

As to the overall value of a Prime Subscription now, that’s a different discussion and very dependent upon what and how you use it (now more than ever).

4. LDBetaGuy says:

I might pay an additional $2.99 per month for a user interface that wasn’t such a hot mess!

5. Ian King says:

It was annoying and confusing before that Amazon Prime did not offer the same video content as Amazon FreeVee. But now I am really confused. Does this new policy mean that Amazon Prime Video and Amazon FreeVee are just two different advertising supported service offerings, each having different content? Why two advertising suplported offerings? This change in Amazon Prime video is really a confusing move.

• Richard says:

This would have made more sense if the 2.99 would also give you access to ad free Freeveee or if they decided to exclude Prime Video from the Prime membership and just charge for it separately.

• Adam says:

It makes sense because all the other services are squeezing their customers with price increases and ad tiers, so Amazon won’t stand out or suffer from competition, and as Netflix proved, customers will loudly flail, threaten and object in public before very quietly paying the corporation whatever they’re told to in private.
        Unchecked capitalism rules.
        Literally.

6. Thomas E Nichols says:

Just another greedy company. The kingfishes need more for their greedy needs.

7. Dave says:

Perfect timing since my Prime subscription ends in Jan and I’ve already decided not to renew

8. Charlie says:

Reminds me of the days when Netflix was 7.00 and included DVD’s. Now, it’s what, over 20.00 for 4K? IMO Prime Video isn’t the best video service, anyway. For me, Prime membership is good if you order a lot of stuff and don’t want to wait for shipment of a 10.00 item. Otherwise I can do without it.

9. Rik Emmett says:

Does $2.99 per month mean the annual subscription will increase by $35.88?

10. ben says:

maybe those that have ad free prime will get short ads. i recently got the netflix ad plan and the longest ad i had so far was only 45 secoends.

11. Adam says:

Yeah, I’m not going to be paying the monthly price increase.
    That’s all this is. They created a new ad-supported tier and priced it what the original tier cost in an effort to hide that this is just a $3.00 a month price increase.
    So I’m not going to be paying it.
    And I’m also going to watch any and every Amazon show I care to with no commercials. I’ll also do my part in helping others do so as well.
    Treat your customers like this, enjoy the reflected disregard.

12. Nico says:

I’m going to cancel my Prime membership, it’s no longer worth it to me. Besides, Prime Video is already showing Ads when watching videos that are included with Prime. Granted, those Ads are for other content on Prime Video (like movies or shows), but an Ad is still an Ad. Plus, there’s also Freevee, which comes with Ads as well, even for paying Prime members.

Corporate greed knows no limit. I really hope we’ll see a big Streaming crash in the near future. It’s time for a reboot.

13. Rik Emmett says:

I can watch Pluto tv for free on my Sony TV and integrate all of the live channels into the stock guide that comes with the TV. Amazon omits some of the live Pluto channels from their guide. Pluto has some excellent ad supported content to watch live and on demand. Amazon is becoming irrelevant. The only thing that amazon has that is superior is the full integration of their browser control with the remote.

14. Techie Tim says:

Yet another case of Bait & Switch.

I will definitely be reevaluating the value of Amazo Prime — and anticipate dropping it. Not only are they wanting to zing me $36 more a year for movies but also are zapping me anther $3 per package they deliver to my garage (which they sold as being free with a garage door

It’s typical new management that looks at $$ now, rather than serving the customer.

15. Richard says:

No one should be paying 2.99/month for a streaming service owned by the same company that owns IMDb yet still manages to list 30-40 year old movies as having a 2022 or 2023 release year

16. T-dog says:

Ok Amazon. I’ll just get it elsewhere now. I use Prime for shipping (a lot), but I’m not paying more and I’m not watching ads. Enough of this.