Amazon is working to fix the broken sideloaded app icons on the new Fire TV Stick 4K & 4K Max “as soon as possible”

An unfortunate issue with the new 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K and 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max is the resurfacing of an old bug that prevents the icons of sideloaded apps from appearing in most of the Fire TV interface. Amazon has now informed me that it does consider this a bug and that it is “working to resolve it as soon as possible.” This bug resurfaced once before on the 3rd-gen Fire TV Cube when it launched last year and Amazon fixed it fairly quickly. Hopefully, it won’t be long before you can see the icons of sideloaded apps on the new Firestick models as well.

1. Kevin Burkhead says:

I have heard rumors that the newly released 4K does not have the developer option. I dont know if the 7 quick enters fixes it or not. I just received it and havent fooled with it yet.

2. Jason says:

They dont care if your third party icons dont work. It’s not their issue. They dont make money from you

• Dave says:

I bet you are in for a surprise. Lol.

• Sorry, but the post you are literally commenting on has proven you wrong. If Amazon didn’t care, they wouldn’t have, on their own, reached out to tell me that they’re working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

• Dave says:

It took Amazon over 6months to fix this bug on the 3rd gen Cube. If that is ‘fairly quickly’, we can expect a fix for the new Max in late spring 2024 lol

I guess you can call that caring.

• Raymond says:

Can you ask him if and when the new upgraded guide will be released to the fire sticks like on the the TV

3. Ron says:

I am experiencing something that I don’t know if it’s an issue with the new Max or Disney+. However, when I am using the Home Theater option where my Echo speakers are being used for sound, I cannot play anything on D+. Every single video throws an error. The moment I switch back to the TV speakers, D+ plays fine. I had his same setup on my Max gen 1 and it didn’t do this (or at least I don’t recall that it did).

Is this something anyone else is experiencing? Is it something Amazon needs to fix or is this a Disney app issue?

• Brett says:

Hey Ron,

I appear to be getting the same issues you describe for the Disney+ app on the new firestick 4K Max G2. Will only playback HD/SD content and errors when trying to play anything in the latest Hi-Res formats?

The error I get is > “Something went wrong, Please try again, if you continue to have issues, please contact Disney+ subscription support”

The app and 4K/HDR/DV playback is fine on all my other Fire devices (sticks, cubes & tabs)

Guess something between the FireOS and D+ app is broken from the version in the Amazon appstore on these new devices, so guess we just have to sit back and wait for some kind of update to fix it…

Not the best Q&A before release it has to be said!!

4. Mr Spoon says:

Did they mention the Missing storage access permission in Fire OS 8 ?

5. JD says:

Just received a call from Amazon regarding my 2nd gen Max 2 star review. Surprised to say the least. They acknowledged the icon issue, but appeared unaware of the file permissions problem.

6. chucky says:

quick question new 4 k max fire stick have they removed move to the from option on apps sorry id this is wrong thread to ask this

• Brian says:

No, move to the front is still there on the new Fire stick

• chucky says:

hello and ty but i mean the new 4 k max with the 6ge it the 1 with the round edges the other 1 has no issues moving to from that 1 does not have to option any more you cant move any app even the 1 on the home screen

7. Hanso says:

I’m in Canada and just got an update for my 4k max 2nd gen and icons problem is solved. Can see all my sideloaded apps icons again.

8. Shane says:

Is there any word when the international version will be available to pre order? Seems to only be available for specific countries.

9. Nico says:

The more important question: Why does this keep breaking?

Sure, Software development isn’t easy, but reintroducing the same bug over and over and over again seems very incompetent. Unless Amazon is doing it on purpose. Then it’s just mischievous.

10. Phil says:

It’s been fixed with an update on Friday 6th October in my region, the Caribbean.

11. Phil says:

4k Max (2nd Gen) user.

12. Robert says:

side loaded APP Icons fixed via update avail on 10/8 in Florida.

13. Tony says:

My firestick just went blank. WTH is going on? Did they purposely did it to make people buy a new one?

14. Marshall says:

Correct, the ADB command has no effect. It still shuts down after 15 minutes. Also, the setting menu for sleep is gone exceptfor black screen or no signal for Hdmi .