Alexa might cost $5 to $10 per month for all features after its AI upgrade

A new report from Reuters claims that Amazon is thinking of charging $5 to $10 a month for Alexa’s AI-powered redesign, which is expected to be released later this year. Amazon hinted at possibly charging for Alexa last year when it first showed off the voice assistant’s upcoming improvements. The new LLM-based Alexa seems to be plagued with issues and delays but might be released as soon as August with a subscription fee attached.

Only some of the more advanced features are said to require a paid subscription, as Amazon is expected to continue offering a free version that can do everything Alexa can do today. The advanced Alexa is said to be capable of executing multiple tasks with a single request and even performing actions, like writing emails and ordering food, from a simple prompt. It may also be able to learn from your habits and routines to perform tasks before you ask for them, like turning on smart home devices.

Amazon typically reveals new hardware and services in September, so it shouldn’t be long before Alexa’s AI overhaul is at least demoed if not released. Much of what was promised at last year’s Amazon event has not been released, so there’s surely pressure on Amazon to deliver its updates more timely this year.

1. Mike says:

They really are trying to get rid of their customers, aren’t they? I’ve already reduced the number of Alexa enabled devices from 9 to 2 in my house. This will make it ZERO if they’re actually going to do it.

• Jim says:

Same here. I’m going to set up my Onn 4K Pro this weekend

• Mark says:

ONN 4K literally has nothing to do with this Alexa snafu. You are talking Fire TV competition.

• Anthony Rossetti says:

Not buying it
        I already noticed as of about a month ago some of routines are being broken
        What I noticed is that routines I had set up that used the same action more than once suddenly stopped working and that she only completed one instance of the action.
        For example I have a routine that announces when the PIR sensor in my mailbox is tripped.
        The routine actions are to announce “you got mail” and then to turn on my cabinet lights and set them to a certain color and then to announce “you got mail,yay”
        But it stopped announcing the second time and I tried rearranging the actions and even putting in delays but it seems as if only one instance of an action is allowed now or at least the Alexa says action.
        Seem like that would go so with what is mentioned in the article above
        about “executive multiple tasks with a single request”
        It says that is for “advanced Alexa” but we can already do this now, it’s called routines.
        Unless this means something else and the issues I am having with routines is just a bug due to the recent layoffs and shot staffing.

• Kary says:

Did you miss the part about how everything Alexa does today will remain free?

• Adam says:

I didn’t.
        But the concern I have is that the functions and responses that are currently free will… let’s politely say evolve.
        So “Alexa, what’s the temperature?” – “The temperature is currently 72 degrees. Today, you can expect rain and moderate wind.” will become “The temperature is currently 72 degrees. Did you know you can have an AI derived weather report texted directly to your phone? Ask me about Amazon’s easy annual and monthly AI subscription plans.”

What they did with Prime Video provides pretty clear precedent for what they will do with Alexa.

2. Suvalu Jones says:

Google is the man

3. Al says:

I totally agree with Mike. If they do, I will be moving away from Amazon to something else.
    Just leave it as is, we don not need AI to turn on a light. This is very crazy for Amazon to do this, to millions of customers using their Alexa products.

4. WJC says:

I will turn mine off and put it in storage!!!!!!!!!

5. Louie says:

If they do this, my alexa units will end in the garbage can

6. Paul Denman says:

As long as what we have now stays free then that is OK. I’ll never pay anything for Alexa improved or not. Also should they add ads then I’ll dump it permanently

• Kary says:

You seem to be the only one commenting here who read the article.

• Manabi says:

I’m not sure that’s the case, I think some of the others may be assuming it’ll just be a matter of time until Amazon decides to paywall Alexa entirely. I don’t use Alexa, so this doesn’t impact me, but I suspect that’s exactly what will happen.

7. Jeff W says:

There is no chance of me subscribing to this service. I just want something to turn the lights on and off by schedule and/or verbal command. I’m afraid of what they will do next. If even basic automation controls become subscription based, I’m moving on. They’ve already screwed with the Firestick integration with my obsolete Fire Recast. I’ve been tinkering with a Tablo v4 for a while, since they completely broke the recast integration with my Echo Show 15. Once the appleTV app for Tablo comes out of beta, my Amazon environment’s days will be numbered.

8. Miguel Torres says:

Están actualizando los dispositivos para que los usuarios los abandone.

9. Nicholas Cannon says:

NOPE I do not do subscriptions. I got rid of all my Alexa devices except my firesticks and I’m ready to ditch those once we get a new TV device from GOOGLE.

10. mike says:

will be ditching amazon if that happens. they already p’d me off when they quit supporting sending todo list to your email when they stopped supporting that 3rd party ap….i forget the name of the app now….out of curiosity is there anyway YET to send your todo list to your email

11. mike says:

i would be willing to pay if they brought back the support for that app that allowed you to send your todo list to your email…that to me was the killing of amazon….I replaced my recast with tablo…and slowly phasing out my amazon devices…their tablets are sh*t anyway. amazon is going down the tube.

12. Joe says:

Hard pass on subscription model

13. Chime Hart says:

I would be willing to try an inhanced version, as we think “she” is getting dumber.
    As we are totally blind, we wish we could order-and-check out
    useing Amazon Fresh on “her” they make you go to an app for too many items.
    Also, I would love to be able to add CDs to a shopping cart from
    streams I am playing. I mean, in many cases she will mention a name-and-artist
    why can’t I instantly buy that?
    I have an annual reminder of a friend’s January 8 Birthday, but she sends it
    several times through the year.

14. Bob says:

“She who shall not be named” doesn’t do anything today. So I’m going to have to pay for what I was lead to believe I’d have by now!

• Jason says:

Just because you aren’t using it correctly, doesn’t mean it doesn’t do anything. I have 8 throughout the house. I have whole home music. I have well over 60 devices attached. I haven’t touched a light switch, lock, garage door or thermostat in years.

15. Tech3475 says:

“Only some of the more advanced features are said to require a paid subscription, as Amazon is expected to continue offering a free version that can do everything Alexa can do today. ”

I’m hoping this is the case, I don’t care for the AI stuff and just want the relatively basic stuff it does now without yet another subscription.

16. Darryl says:

If it could finally integrate with my garage door and all the other existing devices, then I’ll think about it.

17. Gerry Genders says:

I hate articles like this. Why wouldn’t you lead with this?: “Amazon is expected to continue offering a free version that can do everything Alexa can do today.”

You really think it is necessary to get all users riled up like this? I’m sure majority are going to keep with the free version. Does it make you feel good to write like this? Does it tingle?

18. Anthony Rossetti says:

They should at least include it with prime since they took away prime video and went up on the price.
    These new features don’t sound particularly enticing though.
    What I would like to see is a routine option that would allow her to play your own uploaded short Audio clips and video clips on echo show devices.
    Maybe even show specific photos from Amazon photos in a routine and add text.

19. Jackie says:

When it can clean out the cat box, then I’ll subscribe.