2nd-gen 2023 Fire TV Stick 4K & 4K Max Benchmarks — Compared to all Fire TVs and Google/Android TV Devices

The new 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K and 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max have been released and with them come impressive claims from Amazon of having “nearly 30% more power than the previous generation” for the latter and being the “most powerful Fire TV Stick ever” for the former. I’ve put them both through my usual benchmarks to see if those claims hold up and how these new Fire TV Sticks compare to previous Fire TV models and the most popular Google TV and Android TV devices.

Before jumping into the scores, it’s important to remember that these are synthetic benchmark tests that artificially push the hardware to its limits. While these test results aren’t a great way to gauge how these devices perform with real-world use, they do provide a fair way to compare one device’s raw performance capabilities to another. As I always do, I run each benchmark test three times and then take the average of the top two scores. All tests were run on newly factory reset devices that have had all available updates installed, both for the operating system and for system apps.

To test general overall performance, I ran the Geekbench benchmark which primarily taxes the device’s CPU. It does a good job of assessing a device’s overall performance because it also incorporates the performance of other components, like device memory, into its final score. With a single-core score of 993 and a multi-core score of 2,811, the 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max easily tops the previous model it’s replacing to claim the crown of most powerful Fire TV Stick ever. With an improvement of about 13% over the 1st-gen 4K Max, it’s certainly not a huge improvement, but it does push the Fire TV Stick lineup even farther ahead of the Chromecast 4K.

The new 2nd-gen regular Fire TV Stick 4K scored 877 and 2,459 on the single and multi-core tests, respectively, which makes it nearly equivalent to the 1st-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max. Compared to the 1st-gen Fire TV Stick 4K, the new 2nd-gen model shows a significant performance improvement. With a performance improvement of about 23% over the old model, the 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K isn’t quite showing the 30% improvement that Amazon claims, but there are more tests to run.

The GFXBench test results shown above measure each device’s GPU capabilities. While this benchmark is primarily good for gauging a device’s gaming potential, the GPU is also used for rendering app interfaces, so good GPU performance usually results in smoother navigation of a device’s interface. With a score of 1,319, the 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max keeps its claim as the most powerful Fire TV Stick by improving on the outgoing 1st-gen model by 9%. Again, it’s not much of an improvement, but it’s an improvement nonetheless.

The biggest gains yet come from comparing the 1st and 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K’s GPUs. The new 2nd-gen model’s score of 1,055 is just over 31% more than the 1st-gen’s score, which is right in line with Amazon’s claim of it being 30% more powerful. While the CPU performance of the 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K is nearly matched to the 1st-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max, the GPU performance falls quite a bit short.

Looking at both the CPU and GPU benchmark scores of all recent Fire TV models released since 2018, you can see there have been steady gains throughout. People with a 1st-gen Fire TV Stick 4K or either of the 1080p Fire TV Sticks in Amazon’s current lineup should see a noticeable performance improvement when upgrading to either of the new 4K-capable Fire TV Sticks. I don’t think someone with a 1st-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max has any reason to upgrade to the new 2nd-gen model and should only consider the 3rd-gen Fire TV Cube. Those coming from a 1st-gen Fire TV Stick 4K will see a 40% performance jump when switching to the new 4K Max stick, but even the new regular 4K stick is worth considering, especially since it has 33% more RAM as well. Anyone with an even older Fire TV model, like a 1st-gen Fire TV Cube or 3rd-gen Fire TV pendant, will see even more gains when upgrading to these new Fire TV Sticks.

Fire TV Stick 4K
MT8696D
MediaTek
MT8696
MediaTek
MT8696T
CPU Cores4-core4-core4-core4-core
CPU Speed1.7GHz (4x)1.7GHz (4x)1.8GHz (4x)2.0GHz (4x)
CPU Performance2,0192,4592,4812,811
Fire TV Ambient Experience
Remote
Standard Alexa Voice Remote

Standard Alexa Voice Remote

Standard Alexa Voice Remote

Enhanced Alexa Voice Remote
Basic Remote ButtonsVoice, D-Pad, Select, Home, Back, Menu, Play/Pause, RWD, FFWDVoice, D-Pad, Select, Home, Back, Menu, Play/Pause, RWD, FFWDVoice, D-Pad, Select, Home, Back, Menu, Play/Pause, RWD, FFWDVoice, D-Pad, Select, Home, Back, Menu, Play/Pause, RWD, FFWD
Device Control ButtonsPower,
App Shortcut (4),
Settings,
Recents,
Channel Up,
Channel Down

1. Brad W says:

What I’m seeing is that if you own a 4k stick, it might be worth the upgrade to the new 4k (or an old 4kMax), but if you have a 4kMax but not able to use the new audio codes or wifi, consider passing on the upgrade.

• Agreed. 4K 1 to 4K 2 is worth considering an upgrade. 4K 1 to 4K Max 2 is definitely worth the upgrade. 4K Max 1 to 4K Max 2 is not worth the upgrade.

• John Holmes says:

Having a low level tech
        understanding I understood the newest firestick to have 4K Ultra which I don’t think the previous model does.
        Any guidance please?

• Igor Freytor says:

The new Max has twice the storage space than the older version. Also, if you have a 6E router then the new Max will give you higher internet speeds. In general it is a tad snappier than the older version. Most tv’s have more than one hdmi port and the new Max definitely deserves one of them.

• Eric says:

I don’t really see any of these devices benefiting from 6E honestly. Other than having less congestion on the band, the speeds it offers are completely overkill for a streaming device.

• Kary says:

I’ve noticed a significant difference in the time it takes my recorded HDTV broadcast material to load and start playing, but that could be either due to the processor or Wifi 6. No way to test.

But yeah, unless you have frequency interference or some such thing, or maybe a very old router, I don’t see Wifi 6 being that beneficial.

• EG says:

I needed to update because I ran out of memory and could not load all of my apps. I tried the Cube, hated it especially its Alexa function constantly responding to something said on the TV. It was no faster than my first gen Max, I tried three units before I gave up on the Cube. Receiving my 2nd-gen Max today. My router is 6E, so it will be interesting to see if I have a better wifi connection.

2. Patrick Power says:

Crazy the sticks are finally almost par with the firetv box2 from 2015. Only 8 years in the making.

And still a 32bit OS. So outdated.

3. Miguel Torres says:

Excelente este trabajo comparativo con otros dispositivos Elias.

4. clocks says:

Yeah, that 2nd generation box was a gem.

• That’s what happens when they design it to play games as a main feature, not a passing thought. Thank the OUYA micro-console craze for that.

• clocks says:

The main thing I’d like, is a stick(or box without alexa) with whatever hardware is needed to open apps the fastest, boot the fastest, etc.. Whether that is a faster SoC, faster storage/ram, whatever. Another feature I would love to see if they can figure out a way to upscale 720p look decent on large 4k TVs.

I got an apple tv to try just to see if I notice a speed difference, though I do not think I will keep it long term, as I cannot sideload an app I require.

• Hittsy says:

It sounds like you want the 3rd gen ftv cube. You can turn off the Alexa functionality by muting the microphones, or changing the wakeword. It can do some upscaling using image sharpening, for streaming stuff and stuff sent in via the input HDMI port.

• clocks says:

I have a cube3, but as I mentioned I want one without Alexa. The added hardware (mic, speaker, etc.) ends up doubling the cost of the devices. And I have many tvs to buy these for. Also, the current upscaling does not do much from what I can tell.

• JD says:

I doubt Amazon will release a device without Alexa. Doesn’t fit with their business model and would most likely upset more than the minority that doesn’t use or want it.

• Jason says:

Then get something like a Mecool Km2 Plus or a HAKO Pro or other android tv device. You get good performance as its android tv not Google tv not bloated amazon and it works good. You still get the vote commands using the remote and so on.
          I use one and I have 4/16 they come in 2/16 4/16 and 4/32 plus with 2 usb ports you can expand

5. Scott says:

Is the remote for the 2nd Gen max the same as the 1st Gen max. I want to buy a cover for my new 2nd Gen max that’s coming Saturday.

• No, but the 2nd-gen Max’s remote is the same as the 3rd-gen Cube remote and the remote that comes with Fire TV Smart TVs, like Insignia, Toshiba, Pioneer, etc.

So if you find a cover that is for any of those it will work for the new Max.

6. Nate says:

As always, thank you for the benchmarks, Elias! Having as impartial of a test across all of these devices is very important and you admirably fill that gap.

It’s great to see the 2nd gen 4k Max exceed its predecessor, but I think this lands me at another 3rd Gen cube as my secondary unit upgrade.

• Igor Freytor says:

I now truly believe and the benchmarking results attest to it as well, that the new 4k Max is the best budget streaming device on the market. It is a revolutionary gamechanger. From now on everyone will be forced to come out with a budget device that has 16 gigs of space. I’m sure it won’t be too long until Google comes out with a new 4k Chromecast with 16 gigs of storage space.

7. Kary says:

Clocks, do you have “Super Resolution” turned on with your Cube 3? On a 4k display the difference is significant when viewing 1080i material.

• clocks says:

I do. Thanks. TBH I am mostly hoping for something that does well upscaling 720, as 1080 already looks fine for me.

• Eric says:

Agreed, 1080 upscaling looks great on the Cube – 720 looks terrible no matter what though.

• Kary says:

I’m not so sure of that? Aren’t Fox stations 720? The local Fox affiliate’s picture looks great upconverted with Super Resolution, although maybe they broadcast other material besides Fox programs in 1080i. I’ve never checked.

Anyway, the difference in PQ between the FC2 and FC3 on those local news broadcasts is significant.

• clocks says:

I’m surprised a year or so later, I still have not seen any articles or youtubers that have done a comparison. I notice no difference, but maybe I would if I saw things side by side

• Kary says:

The only comparison I’ve done is turning Super Resolution on and off in the Fire Cube 3. I’ve not hooked my FC 2 back up to my 4k TV. But I never noticed the skin imperfections on the local news anchors’ faces until I had the FC 3 with SR turned on.

• clocks says:

I’ll have to play around more. I did have both 2nd/3rd gen cubes set up to the same tv, and switch between using them a bit, but never could tell much difference.

I wish they had the feature like the Shield does, where you can slide the cursers back and forth to illustrate the with and without upscaling.

8. Kary says:

Does the new 4k Max have “Super Resolution” upconversion to 4k? Makes a huge difference on the FC 3.

Also, good to see some objective stats to validate my satisfaction with a FC 2 to FC 3 upgrade. I almost bought the older Max to put in a different location, but instead I upgraded my primary device. Well worth the extra money (bought the FC 3 on sale). This is the first tech press article that has given any indication that it was a worthy upgrade.

• wery says:

The huge difference? Lol.

• Kary says:

wery, yes a huge difference, when I wasn’t expecting much at all. The picture quality watching recorded 1080i HDTV is much better on my 4k display, and it starts displaying the video much faster (perhaps due to the processor difference or maybe wifi 6). As to the picture quality, it’s due to the new “super resolution” feature, not on the FC 2. Less of a difference streaming since the FC 2 was also very fast and very good. But I was expecting no significant difference, and was surprised.

Bottom line–if I’d bought the then current Fire Max 4k it would have been a huge mistake.

• Eric says:

No it doesn’t, super resolution upscaling is only on the Cube 3

9. monakh says:

I guess I don’t need to upgrade my Gen 2 Fire TV Cube. Still holding on strong!

10. ExtremePancake says:

So with all that upgrades in performance, what does it mean for regular streaming? I didn’t use my 1st gen 4K Stick since my TV has all the apps but I remember it being fast and responsive. How’s the new one better?

11. Kaldak says:

Do you think the 1st gen 4K Max will get upgraded to OS8?

• Eric says:

No, historically Amazon has never updated Fire TV’s this way.

• Well, they did do it once, when the 1st-gen box and stick were updated from Fire OS 3 to 5, but it hasn’t been dines since. The reason is that moving up to a newer version of Android always hurts performance. So there needs to be a damn good reason to hurt everyone’s performance, and there just isn’t for basic streaming needs.

12. Fred says:

Just got mine today. I will admit the interface is very fast and smooth, but I won’t be using it. The interface is full of junk free content I’m not interested in and they block Plex the only good content aggregator.

13. Xrak says:

All fire tv sticks show as supporting Dolby Atmos but it does not seem to be really supported. I just purchased a Samsung !990C sound bar and directly connected it to a Fire TV 4K (with a 4K TV connected to the soundbar HDMI out). Fire TV refuses to stream Atmos to the soundbar with the exception of the test video from the Sound Diagnostics page. Googling around shows that it is not just me with this problem.
    I wonder if they’ve fixed the issue with not supporting Atmos in reality when they claim to support it.

• So, the hardware supports Atmos but there are only a few apps that support it. And in those apps that do support it, there are only certain titles that have it. That’s the problem with Atmos and might be the issue you’re facing.

14. Skel40 says:

Don’t expect the Fire TV Stick 4K Max codenamed (karat), to have any recovery options either. Holding down the buttons on the keyboard won’t boot it into recovery and avoid disabling/uninstalling anything in the OS. Safe mode won’t restore the apps you’ve disabled as an important reminder. File manager won’t open up in Total Commander and shows as follows when opening the manager “Warning: If you want to access this folder, you need to give Total Commander full access to all files in the next dialog box.” when the setting itself isn’t to be found in Fire OS settings. There’s only the permissions to allow/deny storage which doesn’t work.

• Eric says:

Android 11 (Fire OS 8) has something called scoped storage that limits apps from accessing storage normally. I think there are some workaround that the app developers would have to implement, but generally apps aren’t going to be able to access storage that other apps use anymore.

15. Vlasta Sandra says:

Which version of Geekbench has been used for the result of the Fire TV Cube 3rd generation?

• SCOTTY MOERKE says:

Go too settling then apps look for all apps or system apps u can open from there Grey out apps means not compatible by Amazon but they do work just only way too open them apps that R grayed out

16. Scott says:

How do I fix some of my greyed out app icons I side loaded. I have the 4k Max 2nd gen

• Stephen Lyons says:

Have a look on YouTube someone’s found a way to tell you what each blank is but no real solutions yet

• SCOTTY MOERKE says:

17. Skel40 says:

@AFTVnews its also worth mentioning that this version of Fire OS 8 (Android 11) breaks file management while using any version of Total Commander as I referenced on this post and I used ZArchiver to get access to the /storage/emulated/0 directory and the directory actually works this time without the Total Commander prompt asking for access for all files and folders. The folders only show up on the ZArchiver app and doesn’t show any history of files being downloaded, making it impossible to delete .apks taking up memory. Unfortunately, deletion is not working. Hopefully a fix for this is soon.

18. Dave Butler says:

Hi Elias, thanks for your awesome site & the work you do. I was reading about the Cube having issues with color depth. From what I gather, the Cube is unable to display color depth greater than 8 bit, apparently d/t the processor. Do you know if this is true? I’m unable to measure it and was wondering if you could confirm or dispel the rumor. Thanks again.

19. Robert Snelgrove says:

Do any support Tru-HD and DTS-MA hi def audio pass through? This is why7 I mainly use the Shield. ty

20. Stephen Lyons says:

And why 100Mb ethernet still

• Kary says:

100MB is way more than you need for any streaming activity. But if you want more, perhaps for downloading apps, there’s wifi.

• Adam says:

Network speed over 100MB is useful for streaming local high-bitrate media files with Kodi and the like. As you say, its of no use for commercial streaming consumption.

21. Kary says:

I’d add, the 4 tuner HDHomerun only has 100 MB Ethernet for four streams.

• Bruce says:

The max of those 4 OTA streams aren’t going to be limited by a 100Mbps Ethernet port.

From their own FAQ on Kickstarter.

Ethernet link speed?
      The Ethernet port is 100baseTX (100Mbps).
      The HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K supports streaming 4 virtual channels at once…. 4 channels won’t max out a 100Mbps link.

• Kary says:

Yes, but my point was streaming shouldn’t max out such an Ethernet port either. Streaming is not that demanding, as shown also by the speed you need to get from your ISP. 100 MBPS should be enough to stream one stream of 4k, which is all this device should be doing.

22. lenin says:

this is all great but after amazon broke my fire stick 4k remotely with a faulty update and refuse to make it right becuase the product was out of warranty , I have to think twice to buy another device that they may brick remotely.

23. Jason says:

I dont get it it looks like on here that the ONN box is much less powerful than the firestick. I use Emby and did use plex and I use a few other apps. The ONN (android tv version) out performs the 4K 1 and 2 and the Max 1st gen. I have not tested the 2nd gen.
    I also have a Mecool KM2 Plus with the Amlogic S905X4 processor and I get better performance over any amazon unit. To be fare I have not tried the cube 3rd gen.

24. EG says:

Benchmark scores are great, but I have had my 2nd-Gen FireTV 4K Max for 5 days and the image and sound quality is noticably better than the 1st-Gen 4K Max and 3rd-Gen Cube. Maybe it’s due to the combination of the new OS8, increase speed of the CPU and GPU, better wifi antenna and Bluetooth upgrades; mixing all these little improvements together seems to really make a big difference. I can only attest to an improvement in video streaming, I’m sure the Cube is far ahead when it comes to gaming.

• clocks says:

Interesting to hear. I was going to skip the Max2s, but if people are truly noticing improvements I will pick some up. I have seen some youtubers say the Max2 feels a tiny bit snappier than last gen. Not sure if that is just because it is fresh off a clean install, or if they really are noticeably faster.

25. Mark says:

I’ve got aFire Stick 4K (1st Gen – 2018), considering upgrading to the Fire Stick 4K Max (2nd Gen). Barring the UI being a bit more snappy and responsive and apps loading quicker, would I notice anything in terms of picture quality? For 4K content or upscaled 1080p content. I’ve got an LX CX if that’s of any help. Thanks.

• Kary says:

I’d wait for the Black Friday sales and pick up the new Fire Cube on sale. It’s “super resolution” feature is really a nice upgrade over the original Fire Cube, and likely any lower Fire device. It upscales very nicely.

26. Keith says:

Interesting that the 2nd Gen Fire TV (box) was so far ahead of its time that, nearly 10 years later, its still competitive (unlike the 1st and 2nd gen sticks which are basically unusable now, despite what the benchmarks say).

27. RM says:

I’m still running the Fire TV2, Looking at the benchmarks its Fire Stick Max 2 still has not caught up to it….is it worth upgrading from FTV2 to Fire stick MAx2…seems like the only upgrade that might be better is the Fire cube

28. Jason says:

So what is the difference between the overall score and the gaming score? Because it goes from the shield blowing away everything else on the gaming score but the overall score we see the fire cube beans tops. Are we looking at the difference between like if we’re just streaming video Versus heavy duty gaming?

29. Kirth Gersen says:

This is a masterclass in comparing devices. Thank you for such a thorough analysis.

30. Octavio lopez says:

I have need,help on putting apps channels,in kodi,step by step I’m not good,managing computer,cell,had friends, from california,install it pleasesend me,steps to adon channels,I want,I’m perment disability, my hearing is 80%,damage, hard time on gugol for set up thank very much .

31. Dio Brando says:

The list of benchmarks LOST ALL CREDIBLITY once I saw the Fire Stick Lite outperformed the 1st gen 4K Fire Stick. The Fire Stick Lite is an Abomination!!! I’ve dealt with several of them, and it’s always been horribly slow, it reminded me of the 2nd gen Firestick.

Get AFTVnews articles in your inbox!

Get an email anytime a new article is published.
No Spam EVER and Cancel Anytime.