2023 Onn 1080p Stick and 2023 Onn 4K Box Benchmarks — Compared to all Fire TV Sticks, 2021 Onn Models, Chromecast, Shield TV, and more

Walmart just released its all-new 2nd-generation Onn Streaming Stick for 2023 as the successor to the first stick it released in 2021. Earlier this year, the retailer updated its first 4K streamer with the release of its new 2nd-gen Onn 4K Box, but that device disappointed many with worse performance than the 2021 model it replaced. Here is a rundown of benchmark scores for both of Walmart’s new 2023 streaming devices to see how they stack up against the devices they replace and all Amazon Firesticks, Google Chromecasts, Nvidia Shield TVs, and other streaming devices running Fire OS, Android TV, and Google TV.

When looking at synthetic benchmark results, it’s important to remember that these aren’t always a great indication of how these devices will perform in the real world. However, a device’s raw performance capabilities, which are what these benchmarks test, are a good way to gauge how one device’s performance will compare to another. As with all of my benchmark results in the past, I ran each benchmark on the new Onn devices three times and took the average of the top two scores for each device. All devices had both their operating systems and system apps updated to the latest available.

As a test for overall performance, I used the Geekbench benchmark to push the device’s CPU and memory to their limits. The good news is that the 2023 Onn Stick significantly outperformed the 2021 model it replaces. With a multi-core score of 1,830, the 2023 Onn Stick is about 20% more powerful than the 2021 Onn Stick. That puts the new stick on par with the 2022 Chromecast HD, which is to be expected since both devices share nearly the same hardware. While the 2023 Onn Stick is the best-performing 1080p device running Google/Android TV on the list, it’s still outshined by even the cheapest streamer from Amazon, the Fire TV Stick Lite, which is about 16% more powerful.

As for the 2023 Onn 4K Box, my benchmark scores corroborate what others have shown, which is that the new box performs worse than the 2021 Onn 4K Box. Specifically, the old 2021 model scored about 18% higher than the new model on this benchmark. That said, I would still recommend spending the extra $5 to get the 2023 Onn 4K Box over the 2023 Onn Stick since the new box is about 10% more powerful and comes with more RAM. However, both the Chromecast 4K and 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K outperform the 2023 Onn 4K Box by about 20% and are much better options.

To gauge GPU performance, which is mostly important for gaming but also helps with app interface rendering, I ran the GFXBench test. While neither of Walmart’s new Onn streaming devices comes anywhere near the gaming performance of the Nvidia Shield TVs, they held their own compared to other Google/Android TV streamers. The 2023 Onn Stick impressively scored about 28% higher than the outgoing 2021 Onn Stick and even managed to come in 3% higher than the Chromecast HD. As with the CPU scores, the 2023 Onn Stick GPU results are still outshined by the Fire TV Stick Lite, which scores about 10% higher.

The 2023 Onn 4K Box is also outshined by the older 2021 Onn 4K Box when it comes to GPU performance, but not by much. Both Onn 4K Boxes and the Chromecast 4K are on par with one another in this department. If you’re looking for impressive gaming performance in a small package, the clear one to buy is the 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick 4K Max which is nearly 70% more powerful than the 2023 Onn 4K Box when it comes to GPU performance.

Given the ridiculously low everyday prices of about $15 for the 2023 Onn Streaming Stick and about $20 for the 2023 Onn 4K Box, they both have adequate performance. It’s unfortunate that the new Onn 4K Box took a step backward when it comes to performance, compared to the old model, but it’s nice to see the new Onn Stick didn’t do the same. For your primary streaming device, you’re much better off spending a little more and getting one of the devices in the upper half of these benchmark lists, like the Chromecast 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K, or Fire TV Stick 4K Max, but if you’re curious to try Google TV or are looking to spend as little as possible to upgrade a seldom used TV, the 2023 Onn streaming devices from Walmart are worth picking up for the price.

1. Norm says:

Nvidia shield will always be king.

• Adam says:

I’m ride or die for my Shield, but its time as a product to purchase is past. The Shield is a great device and does everything I want of it spectacularly. As of right now.

However, if you’re paying what the Shield costs, you’re buying a device you want to use for years. I have with mine, but a buyer today is likely to be not get the same “King of hardware” experience for as many into the future. The Shield is just no longer even remotely future proofed.

HDMI has moved on, sound technology is moving on and needs modern chips, 8k is coming.

IMO, it still is head and shoulders above FireTVs in its clean streamer-agnostic Android interface, and I can download my chosen app-launcher and Kodi from the Google app store. The software remains user-preference oriented, rather than what a particular streaming company thinks I should be able to do or see. Its hardware excess still makes everything snappy and enables the AI up-scaling that makes everything below 4k look great. I’m very happy with my purchase from years ago.

But I don’t know that someone should buy one to anchor an entertainment system being built today.

• Very well said and I agree. Anyone who bought a Shield TV years ago has definitely gotten their money’s worth, but the people recommending it to others are doing so with that mindset. It’s unlikely that someone buying one today will get the same value out of it, so it’s hard to recommend to people unless they insist on using an Android-based device and insist on better performance/features than a Chromecast 4K.

• Paul says:

I was really embedded with Fire TV and even after I cancelled my Prime, I still used my Fire TV cube 2 and my 4K stick but the ads and not having any way to block them was annoying me. With the upcoming migration to a custom build Linux OS with I’m guessing with locked down bootloaders/no way of root/file access, restrictive apps and forced ads was the final nail in the coffin for me. I wanted a box that I could trust and without the usual spyware baked in with the cheap Chinese units, I saw my options as limited. I pulled the trigger and went back to Nvidia Pro. Yes, it is expensive and starting to be come outdated but the unit still gets updates and it runs everything I want with a clean interface.

• tech3475 says:

Granted I have the pre-AI upscaling model, but I’d struggle to recommend the Shield to anyone for ONLY basic streaming considering it’s age and cost.

I love mine, but then I bought it with the intent on doing more with it and even then the Fire Stick or Roku has some local services on it not (officially) available on the Shield so I still end up using the Xbox for them.

• Kary says:

Only for those that game. For those who don’t it’s obviously Fire Cube devices.

• A says:

being owner of the nvidia shield the only thing its really going for it is the AI up-scaling, I also have the new firestick 4k max my use it just streaming and for me the extra cost of nvidia isnt worth it, considering how much you can get firestick when on offer, the shield doesnt support HLG so have to use the stick for them streams , in everyday loading etc its pretty much the same , if anyone is just wanting for streaming I wouldnt recommend paying extra for the shield

2. LTM says:

I don’t see myself using any tv box other than the Shield. I’ve got three 2019 pros in my home and they do everything I currently need, but I would like a refresh hopefully at some point from Nvidia. Love the A.I upscaling, the versatility and I use a launcher to bypass Google’s gui so no ads plus it works well with kodi and a N.A.S. As long as they continue to be reliable and snappy, I don’t see any reason to upgrade.

• Adam says:

Oh, yeah, a well thought out hardware refresh would obviously change the calculus. But I don’t know that we’re going to get one. Its my understanding that the Shield’s development relied on the hardware Nintendo had Nvidia build for the Switch. It was a serendipitous and affordable way for Nvidia to enter into the console and then streaming box market.
      The problem is, there is no new Switch on the horizon, nor is there a guarantee Nintendo will have Nvidia develop the hardware again.

Absent those events, I don’t think there’s likely to be a new Shield anytime soon, if at all. :-/

• tech3475 says:

I always heard it was the opposite, with Nintendo choosing a variant of the pre-existing Tegra X1.

Regardless, there have been rumours flying around for some time of a new Switch, previously an enhanced version adding DLSS and these days a ‘Switch 2’ predicted for the next year or so.

What I think may derail any Shield TV 2 is Nvidia management, if they decide a ‘Shield 2’ isn’t worthwhile and focusing on GPUs and AI instead.

• Evidence suggests you’re right, Nintendo went with what was already available. The timeline suggests that’s the case, since the Tegra X1 debuted in the Shield TV in 2015 and the Switch didn’t use it until 2017. Also, the Switch only uses the 4 performance cores of the Tegra X1, which suggests the chip wasn’t made with the Switch in mind.

All leaks suggest the Switch 2 is going to use a new Nvidia chip made specifically for Nintendo. I really can’t see that chip going in a Shield TV 2 because it is highly customized for a game console and not a streaming device.

Nintendo made the Tegra X1 work because they had little choice, as they were coming off the failure of the Wii U and didn’t have the confidence/resources to go with a custom chip on an unproven console. Now that the Switch is a huge success, they aren’t going with an off-the-shelf chip, so it’s unlikely the next Switch will have anything in common with the next Shield TV, if there is a next Shield TV.

3. Older Guy says:

Well girls and boys, not everyone is a “techie”..
    Some of us older folks probably would have a hard time setting up and using the (shield) to the best of it’s capacity…
    That’s where the Walmart Onn comes to the rescue.. it’s simple and cheap..does everything I need… and I don’t need to be a “techie”…
    Thanks Walmart Onn!!!

4. Brandon says:

Can you test the wifi speed of them also. I have the onn box and my wifi speeds are faster with it then the Chromecast 4k.

5. Viva says:

It’s a shame that Nokia Streaming Box 8010 is not represented in the Box Benchmarks

6. James says:

What about the TVs with Fire TV built in?
    What do these compare to as far as FireTV stick or cube?

• I haven’t included any Fire TV Smart TVs because I don’t have access to a wide enough selection to benchmark. Of the ones I have tested, I also can’t know for sure that other TV models with the same SoC would perform equally. That said, here are the Geekbench benchmark scores for the ones I tested about a year ago:

• 2017 Element 4K: 1,044 Single / 2,055 Multi
      • 2018 Insignia 720p: 678 Single / 1,902 Multi
      • 2019 Toshiba 4K: 568 Single / 1,832 Multi
      • 2021 Amazon 4-Series 4K: 780 Single / 1,954 Multi

7. Alireza says:

More and less is a Chromecast but $15 , can you believe this stick is not available in Canada?!!! I don’t know the reason but Walmart Canada not selling any onn brand ,I bought the last version on 4k from eBay for 3 times more money and for sure I have to pay lot more for this one as well

8. Robert Hammond says:

No mention of the Roku Ultra?

9. Harry Hartfield says:

Wow looks like the Fire TV 2 box still performs really well according to your benchmarks.
    Might be time to ditch my 1st Geneneration FireTV Stick 4K and go back to my FireTV 2 box.

Since The FireTV 2 is rooted, will I still be able to avoid all the advertising and cluttered home screen layouts that have made enjoying the FireTV a thing of the past? I haven’t used it in a couple of years so I am sure it isn’t up to date.

Grateful for your handy guides I used all those years ago.
    With the plex pass on sale again, contemplating whether to go that route instead of going back to Kodi.