XBMC / Kodi Incompatible with Fire TV Software Version 51.1.4.0_user_514005520

xbmc-android-dead
Along with the realease of the UK Fire TV, we saw the release of two new software versions: 51.1.40_user_514005520 and 51.1.4.0_user_514006420. So far only UK Fire TVs are getting these updates, but if the German Fire TV release is any indication, all Fire TVs should eventually be receiving these updates. Word is that the older of the two versions, 51.1.40_user_514005520, is incompatible with XBMC/Kodi. When launched on Fire TVs running software version 51.1.40_user_514005520, XBMC/Kodi is immediately crashing.

If you have a Fire TV running 51.1.40_user_514005520, it is suggested that you allow it to upgrade to 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 once the update is available to you. While it’s always best to stay on the oldest software version possible if you want to maximize your odds for compatibility with future rooting methods, it is unlikely that one of these two versions is more rootable than the other.

Everyone else outside the UK will likely be getting one or both of these updates in the coming weeks. Odds are your Fire TV will skip 51.1.4.0_user_514005520 and update to 51.1.4.0_user_514006420, but it’s best to keep an eye out for the update version to avoid losing XBMC/Kodi compatibility. When updating, if the Fire TV reports the updated version to be 514005520, it is best to cancel the update and wait for 514006420 or later. Of course, those running rbox’s pre-rooted ROM should just wait for a pre-rooted version of 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 to be released.

Update

To clarify, Amazon has not blocked XBMC. There is just one older software version that causes issues with XBMC. Amazon has already released an update that fixes the issue and restores XBMC compatibility.

1. Greg says:

Having no issues on 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 with SPMC.

2. Ross says:

All I’m waiting on is some genius figuring out a way to root the UK firmware so I can use the USB port for external media.

3. Joe says:

@Ross – we are all waiting on a way to Root the current software. It doesn’t look promising – from what I have read and heard so far it doesn’t look good. There may be a way to tinker inside and solder her and there and get it rooted – but I haven’t seen any sure fire way.

Which is very depressing but I don’t blame amazon for stopping us from using their product for unintended purposes. I’m probably going the way of another completely unlocked streaming box with Android on it – that isn’t held back by Amazon. I love my FireTV box – and especially the bluetooth remote but the problems Amazon keeps creating for me is just too much. Good luck everyone!

4. Andrew says:

Running UK Fire TV 51.1.4.0_user_5104006420 and can run TVMC based off XBMC 13.2

5. madusmacus says:

Running UK Fire TV 51.1.4.0_user_5104006420 as well
    Netflix or Amazon Prime do not do DD5.1 over HDMI as promised but
    After re route all my cables to use optical instead of hdmi they do surround now

Dam you amazon – you have lost me as a prime customer now!

I have managed to use plex to kick off xbmc-13.2-Gotham-armeabi-v7a fine with no problems – bit of a pain exiting after every thing you watch and no watched status in plex also

I will have to check how to block updates or just smash it to bits and move on

6. madusmacus says:

OH! and if you use it from plex – I made a black “Splash.png” to get rid of the gotham startup and I used it as the background image too
    This stops you getting epileptic fits from all the startup flashing :¬)

7. St3v3 says:

So my FireTV is shipped today and will arrive tomorrow (Germany). I’m now thinking about of sending it back, because there are only bad news – no root anymore, loss of XBMC – with this the Box will become totally useless for me, because I don’t need a gaming console with android games only playing amazon streams.

My question: Is it possible at all to block the updates on german FireTV?

8. afsytkrw says:

Not good. 15 minutes after buying aftv and I’ve already regretted it…

9. Ashley says:

I have the 6420 uk release and spmc is fine

10. tonyE says:

got mine in the Uk, running SPMC, running ok tried diffrent skins ect not had a problem

11. jason says:

SPMC is in the amazon app store. not yet for the fire tv as it says it doesn’t work with the remote. We all know it does but i think they said they were resubmitting it as it was an error in submission or something and it should then be available for the fire tv soon.

12. jamie says:

just bout fire tv that has 51.1.4.0 514005520
    tried sideloading xmbc using 13.2 gotham using amazon fire tv utility app from windows pc but cannot see xmbc anywhere. Is it not sideloading on this firmware?

13. Paul says:

Hey all just got my fire TV today in the UK. Is there anyway to avoid updating, as soon as plug it in, it asks to update the software with Ethernet or wifi, how do I avoid this? And check what version I have on the TV?

• Jus says:

The UK boxes come with 51.1.40_user_514005520 as default and can’t be rooted. If you want to use XBMC then you need it to update. I did stop it from updating but xvmc then just crashed

14. Ryo An says:

Hey you guys I am currently on the rooted 514013920 from rbox custom rom and want to say i have successfully installed Kodi on the box with no crashes using one of the nightly builds.

I used this build kodi-20141123-105b6f7-master-armeabi-v7a.apk

• SandmanCL says:

Ryo An,
      Kodi v14.0 stable crashes immediately after restart for me on a rooted 51.1.4.1_user514013920. Have you upgraded to this version or are you still running the 1123 build of Kodi ?

15. Glenn says:

What version comes installed on the latest 2014 AFTV box released in the USA?

Cheers

• AFTVnews says:

It varies depending on when it was manufactured. If you order one today, that doesn’t mean you’ll get one that was manufactured recently. So it may come with 51.1.0, 51.1.0.1, 51.1.0.2, 51.1.1.0, 51.1.3.0, 51.1.4.0, or 51.1.4.1

16. Luke says:

So go back to Gotham until all is stable

17. Sam says:

I can’t load kodi on my firestick. Can anyone help? I have done everything on the videos and still can’t load.