UltraFlix brings their large library of 4K Ultra HD content to the Amazon Fire TV

UltraFlix has just released their new app for the Amazon Fire TV. The service claims to have the worlds largest library of streaming 4K Ultra HD content. Their content library consists of native digital 4K titles, which they label as “Platinum” titles, film scanned in 4K, which are labeled “Gold”, and 1080p movies upconverted to 4K, which are given a “Silver” designation. Currently, the service only offers rentals, but plans to offer purchases and is considering a Netflix-style subscription model. Rental prices range from $1.99 to $9.99. Purchased content will range from $9.99 to $24.99. The app is only available on the new 4K capable 2nd-generation Fire TV.

It appears UltraFlix does not correctly switch into 2160p resolution when playing 4K content. This means, until the app gets fixed, it only outputs in 1080p. Thanks Vulcan195 for the heads up!

1. Robert Simandl says:

I don’t suppose UltraFlix participates in the UltraViolet program, does it? I’d love to have access to my UltraViolet shows from the Fire TV. Wishful thinking?

• John Yungton says:

Open accounts at Vudu, Flixter, etc. then link those account to your UltraViolet account, you’ll then be able to watch most of your movies thru those new accounts on your Amazon Fire TV.

2. Eugene Stilianopoulos says:

Regardless of how they get their 4K or whom provides it. It is my understanding that a physical bluray disc upscaled on a 4K tv is better than any streaming 4K video. It has to do with a disc vs. compressed streaming sources.

3. Vulcan195 says:

I have watched ultraflix on my Samsung 4k. Godfather in 4K was incredible. But then I researched and found out that the original studio had done an incredible job with the conversion. Then I watched Catch Me If You Can in 4K and it was horrendous. I am told that they sometimes simply upscale 1080p and 720p. The value is only in native 4K and high quality film to 4K (like Godfather).
    Also, Samsung TV version did not offer Dd5.1 or subtitles … Which was aggravating because it would not even show the English subtitles for the Italian scenes in the Godfather. I had to just guess!!

• Ians325 says:

I’ve checked. This straight away it definatly does not work cause on my lg it switches resoultion info when stuff screens in 4K on Netflix and prime, it does not switch on this app

• Matthew Chun says:

All valid points. I had tried Ultraflix previously on my Samsung 4K and had a similar experience. In my opinion, lack of Dolby 5.1 and lack of any subtitling whatsoever – combined with a clunky interface, makes this app not quite ready for primetime.

I also had a concern after paying for several of the titles and experiencing horrendous quality. I did, as you, research into many of the Paramount titles, only to find that they were never finished by the studio in 4K in the first place.

So whatever “scaling” Ultraflix is doing in an attempt to pass of a number of these movies as actual 4K is seriously lacking. And I personally felt ripped off to pay 4K prices and get poorly scaled HD.

4. Clive says:

Anyway……..Elias make sure to let us know of any discounts/free movie signs ups. Certainly willing to give it a try.

5. Vulcan195 says:

App has a huge bug! All 4K apps built for AFTV2 has to be blessed by Amazon to output in 4K resolution. This is where it displays the message “Optimizing for 4K” right before playback starts. Without it, the output is only 1080p!
    I had the same problem with Curiosity Stream 4K episodes and ended up exchanging several emails with their support staff to make them understand. Finally, they acknowledge that things are done differently to output 4K on Fire boxes. They contacted Amazon and within a matter of hours had an updated version of the app available in the App Store.
    Ultraflix developers will need to reach out to Amazon and do the same.
    As it stands, this App does not meet its basic requirement – it cannot play in 4K on our boxes.
    There are several free 4K material towards the bottom of the list that folks can play to verify this.

6. AFTVnews says:

There’s something fishy going with the comments of this post, so I’ve deleted a bunch of comments. A series of comments were made that appeared to be unique individuals, but were actually coming from the same IPs. I think people are trying to manipulate UltraFlix’s reputation by posting fake discussions. I’m sorry if I deleted a legitimate comment from anyone.

• Dave says:

It would be nice if someone would actually review this service instead of posting the company line of the largest 4k content. Do they have 4k content, or not?

7. Ujn Hunter says:

Ouch, imagine streaming the data for 4k content only to have it show up in 1080p.

8. 1080_Guy says:

Just curious on how they get the content. Do the studios just lease it out or whatever? Do Netflix and UltraFlix have the same 4k movies? I’ve never heard of UltraFlix before.

On a side-note, I just watched my first ever BluRay the other day. The picture was amazing! I’m used to streaming everything.

9. G. Ramos says:

This company Nanotech Entertainment has been the target of stock manipulators and I believe large competitors out of fear of their success. They have an excellent product and technology and are working with many multi billion dollar corporations. They have some well respected folks in the tech world employed and deeply investing in their future. Rome was not built in a day, nor will NTEK and UltraFlix, but they are well on their way to becoming a household name.

10. Rick J says:

It works great, and it is flawless streaming…do not believe
    some of what you read above..just check it out for your self.

11. Steve says:

I have watched 10 movies on UltraFlix and all have been great quality. Some are upscaled and look good but the ones that are produced in 4K or gone through the 4K conversion process are remarkable. The kicker is that UltraFlix does it at a much lower bandwidth than Netflix.

12. Rooney says:

Fire TV 2, 1080p playback resolved, now playing back 4k video, getting Optimising Ultra HD playback Message when launching film or freebies. Outputting at 3840×2160/30htz. Ultraflix website still showing Coming Soon! Amazon Fire TV.