UK Fire TV Released with New Software Version

uk-flag-fire-tv-header
Today marks the release of the Amazon Fire TV in the United Kingdom, joining the US and Germany as the third country where the device is now available. Along with the launch is the release of a new software version, 51.1.4.0_user_514006420, that we haven’t seen before. UK Fire TVs are arriving with at least version 51.1.3.0_user_513011520, as indicated by the presence of a language selection screen during initial setup. Like the German Fire TVs, these units are forcing an unskippable (and unblockable) software update during the initial setup process. This forced update is the aforementioned new 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 version. This means that, like German Fire TVs, the UK Fire TVs cannot currently be rooted.

If history repeats itself, expect all Fire TVs to soon receive this new update. I’ll be sure to cover any changes this new update brings.

1. Darryl says:

Great.

Should be ok, as I will block all updates past this one. Just means I can’t plug the USB into this directly. No worries! Will plug it into my Homehub, then block OTA updates so it goes no further.

Now the UK is on board, fingers crossed a root will follow.

2. Bal says:

Got mine today and noticed BBC iPlayer and 5oD and Amazon Music which I haven’t got on my US version.

Installed asphalt8 and was hoping my data would sync but it didn’t so if anyone can help me with that I would be grateful :)

Yet to install or test anything else.

3. Mike says:

Hi,

Not only can you not root it but XBMC won’t run on it either. Tried both Gotham 13.2 and Kodi 14.0 and hey both install OK but then crash right after the 1st run.

Another issue is after running Netflix if you hit the home button it takes you back to the register device screen.

One way to prevent this is to EXIT Netflix within the app itself.

Thinking of sending mine back for a refund as not work keeping if unrootable, but even more worthless if XBMC won’t work.

Mike.

4. Tad says:

Ed209, to be honest no I haven’t was concentrating on mapping my network last night.

I did see the add-on but yet to try them out, I cannot see how Amazon could block them if they are already there, it is most likely to be you ISP, can you use your computer to test it?

I shall try it later and let you know…

5. noname says:

Also installig TVMC, I installed Llama (Sideload through ADB) and YuppTV (from Amazon sotre)

Then created a rule in Llama, When exit YuppTv, open TVMC.

So now I have two step to open TVMC > Open Yupp and Exit.

When setting up to open TVMC with Yupp, it was going in a loop, so the exit rules, work perfectly.

6. nemo says:

XBMX, TVMC and SPMC are loading fine in my case – the problem arises when I tried to install addons. It either reports script error or all installs fine but the lists are all empty :(

I’ve spent days trying all sorts of fixes found on YouTube but all were to no avail.