Turn your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick into a Chromecast with CastReceiver

If you’re looking for a way to cast from your phone or PC to the Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, now that Amazon seems to have abandoned Miracast support, try sideloading the CastReceiver app. XDA forum user josuelopezv has discovered that it works well to add limited Chromecast capabilities to Fire TV devices.

Google is notorious for keeping their Google Cast protocol locked down to their own devices. That’s why you don’t find any Google cast apps available in the Fire TV appstore, while there are numerous Apple Airplay apps. There have been Chromecast apps released for the Fire TV in the past, but they didn’t last long before Google took them down.

CastReceiver works by implementing a local version of the Google Cast protocol. That allows it to work even though it is not sanctioned by Google. Unfortunately, that means it cannot be used to receive streaming media from most Chromecast enabled apps. What it’s best used for is casting screens from Android devices using the Google Home app and for casting tabs from the Chrome Browser on a computer.

You can download CastReceiver from here and also from other APK hosting sites.

1. Y314K says:

I’ve always found tons of possible casting apps. What I’ve never found to replace the FireOS 3 Miracast on the FireTV is a smooth phone screen streaming option. I would like to stream my phones screen running an app that won’t load or play on the Fire TV. No options.

2. AFTVUser says:

Great find! Even though Miracast actually works quite well on my LG phone and my Gen1 Fire TV boxes, I could never get it to work with my desktop. This little app works superbly.

3. TechyChris says:

Seems like all the other castings apps, long on promises, short on delivery. Tried for an hour, could not get this to work at all, followed all instructions on xda.

4. Matthew Schoeneman says:

Use AirReceiver in the Amazon App Store on any FireOS device. Allows for all protocols, Google Cast, AirPlay, UPnP. No sideloading necessary.

5. AFTV Fan says:

Does this casting of your iPhone to the Fire TV stick create a mirror of your phone’s screen on the TV pixel for pixel? Does it show up as a small rectangular box in portrait orientation with big black bars around? What happens when you rotate your phone into landscape mode? Does the casting change perspective and does the phone’s home screen where all the app icons are show up or only specific supported apps?

6. I was in the hunt for a casting tabs from PC on Fire TV. The only app I could find few months back was AirReceiver https://www.amazon.com/%E9%BE%99%E6%96%B9%E5%84%BF-AirReceiver/dp/B00L5HQRGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512452547&sr=8-1&keywords=airreceiver+for+fire+tv

Good to see one more app supporting cast feature.

7. Daniel says:

But isn’t this the trial version that only support 5 minutes of video at a time? Google Play Store says full version is a $5.49 in-app purchase.

8. alex says:

Screencast works great on 2nd gen. (Didn’t try > 5 minutes.) Thanks!

For Downloader: goo.gl/FpcZqr

9. Wrecks says:

I tried to get to the link using the Downloader app by going to aftvnews.com and following links until I got to it, but I can’t get aftvnews.com to load in the Downloader program.

Then I figured out that the Downloader app needs javascript enabled to work on the aftvnews.com website. Perhaps aftvnews could examine the headers of http requests and when it sees the Downloader agent, send a message telling how to enable JavaScript.

10. napter says: