TP-Link Alexa Compatible Smart Plug is on sale for $19.99 — No hub required [Expired]

The TP-Link Smart Plug has just gone on sale for $19.99 on Amazon. Apart from a brief Alexa-exclusive deal over a year ago, this is the lowest price that this plug has ever been. This is the same plug that Amazon was bundling for $5 when you buy any Echo device, so if you purchased an Echo device recently with this plug and wanted more of them, here’s your chance to get them at a great price. This switch can be directly controlled by Alexa without needing any hubs or other equipment. Just plug it in, set it up in the app, and you’ll be able to control it by saying “Alexa, turn on/off the [selected name]..”

1. tech3475 says:

I have one for use with a heater, it’s nice but the only downsides are that Alexa can take a couple of attempts to register (with only the click of the heater as the true verification) and my Logitech Harmony Elite doesn’t work with it.

BTW, in the UK it’s currently £45 with an echo dot:

• David Flannery says:

My experience with 4 of these over 1.5 yrs has been excellent. A green symbol lights up when it is “on” so don’t understand why you had to rely on the heater sound. Their docs could be a little clearer so that can make setting them up a little tedious. After setup you can unplug it for a while and, when you plug it back in, it comes right back on line. You can define scenes with multiple plugs on or off as specified, and these scenes are recognized by Alexa.

• Tech3475 says:

My tp-link is green all the time, even if the heater is off.

I suspect the indicator is more for wifi than the device status, at least based on my unit.

Plus at 4 in the morning when its freezing, I dont want to open my eyes and look behind my bed ;).

• Mark says:

Be cautious using these for heaters as the heater draws ALOT of amps, continually cycling. Switched like these really aren’t intended for use with heaters, more so for lighting.

• HeffeD says:

There are two lights on the outlet. The power light which indicates whether the outlet is on or off, and the WiFi status light, which is lit all the time. Green for WiFi connectivity, and red for no WiFi.

2. Charlie says:

This style will cover up both receptacles. They have some that fit horizontally. I bought one with a Dot on cyber Monday, because they were so cheap. I use it for a lamp, but it’s mostly just a novelty, unlike the Dot that is now my Internet radio, connected to a spare pair of computer speakers and my Bose radio.

• Zeric says:

Unfortunately, this is common problem with all sorts of electrical items. I use 12″ extension cords for these situations (inexpensive at monoprice). I also have a few that are 8″ from Frys electronics.

3. David Flannery says:

Apparently this plug’s body design was done for UK receptacle spacing. So yes it does cover both receptacles in the USA. Actually if you have a thin plug you can get it into the second receptacle. I noticed the newer design that doesn’t have this problem but have no experience with one of those. I hope they didn’t compromise performance for that model.

• Mark says:

Actually, it does not cover both outlets. However the 2nd outlet plug needs to be small-ish. I have 2 working fine using both outlets.