Tivo releases new Bolt DVR with Amazon Fire TV app coming soon

If money were no object, I would be subscribed to the highest tier gazillion channel package from my local cable TV provider to supplement the content I already watch through my Amazon Fire TV. To bridge the gap between the two content streams, I would use the new Tivo Bolt DVR. Tivo’s latest set top box brings the company’s hardware lineup up to speed with the competition from Amazon, Apple, and Roku. The Tivo Bolt features 4K streaming support, HTML5 based apps, and a true one-click commercial skipping feature. A new upcoming Amazon Fire TV app will let you view all of your recorded content through the Fire TV.

The new Tivo Bolt is a compelling device for those still subscribed to traditional cable TV. It comes in a 4-tunner 500GB ($299) or 1TB ($399) model to record all of your live television needs. It’s the first set top box from Tivo to support 4K content and takes advantage of their expanding library of HTML5 based apps. One of the best new features of the Bolt is a the new “SkipMode” function which lets you skip commercials with a single button press. Tivo achieves this not by sophisticated algorithms to analyze what you’re watching, but rather by employing people to manually mark when commercials start and end for the top networks. Shows which support commercial skipping are indicated by a green skip icon in the program guide. A message will also appear on screen when skippable commercials begin, to prompt you to skip past the annoyance.

According to DigitalTrend’s review of the Tivo Bolt, a new Amazon Fire TV app is in the works from Tivo. While sideloading Tivo’s Anrdoid app onto the Fire TV is possible, this will be Tivo’s first official app for the Fire TV platform. The new app will allow Fire TV owners to view all of their recorded content stored on the Tivo Bolt. It’s not clear if the app will support 4K playback on the new Fire TV. I’ve reached out to Tivo for additional information about the app and will update this post if I learn more.

The Tivo Bolt is available for pre-order now and will be released on October 4th.

1. irishguy says:

Hopefully we will get this updated box in the UK on the Virgin Media cable service, there has been talk for sometime about streaming recordings from box. Looks like tivo are moving away from their planned cloud service recordings with this box being a pvr.

2. Dan says:

The story says the firetv app will allow watching recorded shows. Anyone know about live TV being available on the app too?

• shwru980r says:

To watch live TV you would start an new recording of the show you want to watch on the Tivo from the app and then start streaming.

3. Len Mullen says:

First impressive announcement of 2015. Not for me, but a lot of people are going to love this. FTV app really extends ‘whole house’ use. 4K is probably premature, but a necessary marketing tool. I don’t get the hardship of ad supported television, but I know some lose their minds and the curated commercial skip will certainly justify the monthly fee to some.

4. Justin says:

It still seems like it’s lagging behind in apps. No Sling, WWE network, or crackle for instance.

5. Robert Simandl says:

What I’d like to know is, will the Fire TV app work with older Tivo models, like the Roamio or the Premiere? If it only works with the new Bolt, I’m not interested.

6. ronpod says:

Any chance the new TIVO will allow the sideloading of Kodi?

7. xnamkcor says:

I lost interest in TiVo when I bought a Tivo HD second-hand and found out I couldn’t even do manual timed recordings(glorified VCR) without a service contract.

• shwru980r says:

Tivo’s business model is to sell the hardware near cost and profit from the service contract.

You could get $99 lifetime service on a Tivo HD by activating month to month and then call to cancel the service after a few weeks.

• xnamkcor says:

You could buy a second generation Tivo and use it to manually record what you had hooked up to it like a VCR. Their model was selling their always updated showtimes and program for suggesting new things to watch. That’s completely different from locking out hardware. It would be like Tivo selling a device that played Blu ray discs, then lock out the player unless you paid their service fee.

8. Neogeo71 says:

What a dumb idea to warp the box like that, won’t stack easily with other equipment .