This is why your Amazon Fire TV USB port is not working

usb-debugging-warning-fire-tv-broken-not-working
By far, the most common question I’m asked is: Why isn’t my Fire TV’s USB port working? Hopefully people having this issue will find this post when searching for a solution. The most likely reason for the Fire TV to not recognizing a FAT32 USB drive, mouse, keyboard, or wired USB game controller is having “USB Debugging” enabled. In the Fire TV’s settings menu, if you scroll to the right to “System” and then down to “Developer Options” you’ll find an option called “USB debugging.” If that option is turned on, the USB port cannot be used with USB drives or peripherals. Turn it off and your USB port will start working again. To learn more about the Fire TV’s different developer options, see this post.

1. Eric says:

Another really odd but true fact is:

the new FTV2 has power management issues if you connected to the internet via ethernet, it seems it can’t provide enough power for the ethernet and USB port at the same time, if this is a hardware or software problem is unknown to me.

It really worked for me, to just disconnected the ethernet cable and connect via WIFI. From the second I did this and restarted the box the USB Gamepad suddenly started to work, without any additional setup. Just because I pulled the ethernet plug.

It’s really absurd, that a product with so many and so hilarious bugs is shipped to customers, but everybody who has this problem: try my solution!

2. Eric says:

PS: I never activated or changed anything in these developer options, so this was definately never the cause for the USB problem with my box

3. jesse says:

what if the usb debugging option is not available?
    all i have is ABD debugging and third party apps options

4. james says:

I try this and mine still does not work is it possible the usb adapter in the back is not working

5. C.E. Griffin says:

Thank you very much for the post. I can stop pulling my hair out and ….. plugging and unplugging my brand new USB drive. I had enabled the USB mode to install Kodi. Turning it off caused my player to immediately see the USB drive. Can’t imagine how much time I could have wasted talking to an Amazon support person.

6. Bill_R says:

Just an additional comment on this issue. When I opened the Developer Options panel it said that USB debugging was off (disabled) so I was about to move on to other steps. That when I remembered that part of the instructions for Mouse Toggle is to disable ADB debugging and re-enable it. I thought “What the heck?” and toggled USB debugging enabled then toggled it back to disabled. Surprisingly my USB key now appears and is navigable.

So if your USB isn’t working and debugging is already disabled, try toggling it first before taking more drastic measures.

7. Philipp says:

Thanks a lot. I thought my cheap controller was the reason it didn’t work, but turning off usb debugging solved it. There are not many comments about that solution, at least I did not find any other.

8. brian ciarcia says:

So, i am having a different issue. I am trying to connect a USB ethernet cable to my AFTV2 to get the faster speed, and when i do, it disables the remote. I have tried 3 different cables. all with the same result. Amazon support sent me a new remote thinking that was the issue, but still nothing. anyone else have this issue?

9. Rose says:

Thank you so much for the post. Our mini keyboard finally work! Had Amazon support on the phone over an hour and they couldn’t figure it out. It was a gift and my husband and friend tried everything for about two weeks, until I decided to investigate the Internet. Never underestimate the power of the Internet or the power of a women!
    Rose

10. More D. Lawn says:

This post saved me a bunch of aggravation. Thanks!!!

11. Bob from Buckinghamshire says:

I have a slightly different problem with the USB port. I have a video on a USB memory stick. I plug it into the FireTV USB port, and play it using VLC media player. The picture breaks up a number of times during the 90 minute video, always at the same points in the film. However, if I plug the same memory stick into a PC, the video plays fine with VLC.

So, I tried using a different memory stick. Same problem: on FireTV, the video breaks up at EXACTLY THE SAME PLACES as using the first memory stick. On a PC it plays fine. What could cause this? Could FireTV be reading the memory sticks incorrectly? Could VLC on FireTV be at fault?

Bob from Buckinghamshire