Software version blocks rooting via A-to-A USB cable on Fire TV 2

It appears that the method to root the Fire TV 2 using an A-to-A USB cable, discovered by Eric (a.k.a zeroepoch) and later improved by rbox, no longer works with software version When connecting the Fire TV 2 via USB, the preloader handshake works, but the script is unable to read the device’s partitions. I don’t know if this is something that can be resolved by updating the rooting script, but for now, the last rootable software version for the Fire TV 2 is version using this guide. Fire TV 2’s running 5.0.0 thru 5.0.5 should still use the simpler KingRoot method to root.

There may still be hope for rooting the Fire TV 2 running software version It appears the Fire TV Stick can be rooted with using an app called Kingo Root. I have tried running Kingo Root on a Fire Tv 2 running but it did not root the device. If more can be learned about the Kingo Root process, and why it sometimes works on Fire TV Sticks running software version, perhaps it can be adapted to the Fire TV 1 and 2.

The good news is it seems Fire OS 5 is more likely than Fire OS 3 to update incrementally through the various software updates. I allowed a Fire TV 2 on 5.0.4 to update and it updated to 5.0.5, then to, and then to In the past, Fire TVs were more likely to jump directly to the latest software version, so if you buy a new Fire TV and are unable to prevent an update from installing, there’s a chance it will update to a rootable version and not straight to

1. Daryl says:

I can confirm that allowing an unrooted Fire TV running OS3 to update, upgrades to fireOS 5.0.5 at which point I blocked further updates. Not sure if it will always be this way…

• AFTVnews says:

Thanks for the info. It seems like Fire OS 3 devices always upgrade to 5.0.5 first because that’s what I’ve experienced as well. But like you said, not sure if it will always be this way.

I think it has to do with Amazon switching to incremental updates with Fire OS 5. If they want to update a device straight to regardless of what it is currently on, they would have to push out the full 400+ MB update, which it seems they rather not do, or provide an incrimental update for all possible starting versions (, 5.0.5, 5.0.4,, 5.0.3, etc..) which would be anoying to maintain. It’s just easier to update a version at a time, which it looks like is what they’re doing.

• Some One says:

I also 100% confirm that as well! All of my Fire Sticks were brand new unopened when Elias cited the king root method. I remember posting about going from FireOS3 to FireOS5 and that’s precisely what my results were everytime!

So my question is…what version of FireOS5 is currently installed on units Amazon is shipping right now?

2. Robert Hartzell says:

I’m considering buying a new Fire TV Gen 2. What OS should it have installed right out of the box? I want to avoid the update with the initial setup.

I can block updates with my router (using Comtrend and your guide) and my current Fire TV, but when I test a system update under settings, my Fire TV, as a whole (all menus), is disabled due to connection issues. Is this also new with the update, or is this regular behavior?

3. Robert Hartzell says:

In regards to my question above, I noticed you said there are cases where amazon does incremental updates. I just wanted to know if I bought a new Fire TV Gen 2 today, would it be easy to block updates using method 2 of your guide before arriving to For example, I could do the initial update, block updates, and still manage to avoid Is that possible?

4. Mark says:

I’m glad I got in when I did. Not being able to root Fire TV to do what I want it to do (HDD on a hub with massive storage and FTP uploading) would drive me to the Shield or other Android box like Minix. Personally Amazon I think you shoot yourself in the foot when you limit your market based on your limited perceptions of what the market does/wants.

• Some One says:

I don’t disagree with that at all! I wouldn’t own an Amazon device if I couldn’t root it. With the exception of the echo lineup. Although I understand why a company wouldn’t want a consumer to step outside of their ecosystem. Amazon sells they’re devices at damn near the cost to built it. Banking on the services that you’ll potentially buy. When you root it removes not only the ecosystem restrictions but ALL software restrictions.
      In a nutshell once rooted…that gives the ability to NEVER need amazons ecosystem EVER again.

All that being said…I’m rooted with thousands of pirated flicks stored on massive hard drives. With hundreds of pirated apps/games as well. If it can be downloaded then I download it! I almost never “rent” a digital movie! At the end of the day I still donate to jailbreak teams, rooters, and mobile security researchers. I still buy endless amounts of blu-rays, games. All while pirating everything the Internet has to offer.

That’s why Amazon blocks rooting!!!

5. Lo says:

Well I guess im sticking with for now unless the bring out background video playback or PIP option, I’m good!

6. Eric Work says:

I haven’t updated my Fire TV 2 in a long time (because I run Ubuntu on it and don’t care much about Fire OS) so I had no idea they finally closed the preloader loophole. It took them a really long time to do it :-) I bet it has something to do with the move to supporting Tuners and the issues with HBO/Netflix etc. You could probably build a DVR with enough work. If the preloader still handshakes I wonder how they changed the commands to break things. I’d have to look at the responses it gives to some low level commands. If my second Fire TV wasn’t bricked I’d update it and give it a try. Too much going on now and lots of work getting Ubuntu setup nicely for the application it’s performing and I don’t want to lose all that because of an update. Maybe I can work with someone who has it already updated and have them run a few test commands for me.

• Eric Work says:

rbox had a great idea which was to do a binary diff between the old and new preloader (after giving me the link to the update). It was quite difficult to find the changes since it’s a mix of arm and thumb instructions and the objdump output has offsets all over the place with minor changes that need to be ignored when comparing. Beyond Compare has a pretty good hex diff mode which shows locations where instructions (binary data) likely was added or removed. I got somewhat lucky that the first big modified chunk appeared to match the preloader download command processing switch statement. Tracing a few commands into their function handlers and matching their assembly code with some old leaked preloader source I’m very certain that’s the right switch statement. It also seems to match up on both the old and new preloader in terms of debug strings passed to the print functions.

Now the issue is they removed some commands that we need to modify the flash storage.

The ones with asterisks (*) are the ones I was using. With what’s left there is nothing that can be done to workaround this change. Amazon is most likely using a download agent (DA) and MediaTek tools to flash devices. The DA needs to be signed which we don’t have. I don’t want to take the risk of being locked out to check, but I bet it says “Unhandled CMD” on the UART when you try to use any of the root injector stuff. The only option now is to find an exploit to obtain root. Maybe a future version of KingRoot or KingoRoot will work. I’m sorry for people who get a Fire TV 2 already updated to

• Mex says:

Hi Eric,

I had my Fire TV 1 rooted about 2 weeks ago, I don’t know where I have messed up but it did updated to the latest OS If you still need somebody to run some test commands let me know I’ll be happy to help.

7. Major Tom says:

I have both the new Fire TV and the Fire TV Stick bought in March. When I installed the Fire TV’s I was guetting incremental OS upgrades and on my Fire TV I succeded in blocking future updates before the update using debloater. I was not as successfull with the Stick as it went through a series of upgrades that I wasn’t able to stop and it upgraded to and Debloater is unable to act on stopping future upgrades. It looks like it’s working but it’s not as the « DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk » is never actually blocked.
    I had to install a second Fire stick but this time I acted promptly after the upgrade to FIRE OS and I was able to block future upgrades. So up to now it is possible to block future upgrade if we act promptly before it starts upgrading to, If you wait too long, even before the actual update reboot, you will not be able to connect with adbLink and you won’t be able to edit with Debloater the command in order to block automatic updates of the FIRE OS