Software update 5.2.6.6 brings new Alexa interface to older Fire TVs and Fire TV Sticks

A new software update has just started rolling out to older Amazon Fire TV devices. The new 5.2.6.6 version of Fire OS, with a build value of 617513020, is making its way out to the Fire TV 1, Fire TV 2, Fire TV Stick 1, Fire TV Stick 2, and 1st generation Fire TV Edition televisions from Element and Westinghouse. Basically, that’s all Fire TV devices released over a year ago. This update adds the newer Alexa interface, which was first introduced with the Fire TV Cube, to older models. With this update, all Fire TV devices ever released will once again be using the same Alexa interface.

Alexa interface for weather prior to the 5.2.6.6 update

The Alexa interface on Fire TV devices is what is seen on the screen when an Alexa request can be accompanied by a visual element. For example, asking for the weather on a Fire TV device will result in Alexa saying the current day’s forecast, but a five-day forecast will be displayed on the screen. For the release of the Fire TV Cube, Amazon overhauled nearly all of these Alexa interfaces.

Alexa interface for weather prior to the 5.2.6.6 update

All of those new Alexa interfaces made their way to the Fire TV 3 (pendant) with that devices recent software update and now this 5.2.6.6 software update to all older devices brings the updated interfaces to all remaining Fire TV models.

Alexa interface for movies in theaters prior to the 5.2.6.6 update

These new Alexa interfaces aren’t just cosmetically different. The update also brings additional new functionality to the various things that Alexa will display on the Fire TV. Prior to this update, asking for movies playing in theaters would display a list of movies that could be scrolled and nothing else.

Alexa interface for movies in theaters after the 5.2.6.6 update

With the new Alexa interface, asking for movies playing in theaters now brings up a list that is selectable. Choosing a movie will display information about the movie and allow you to watch the trailer or view showtimes, which displays a list of the various theaters playing the movie near the location you requested. Selecting a specific theater will display all the different showtimes for the selected movie at that theater. The interaction goes even further because you can then say “how is traffic to hear” and Alexa will display how long it will take to get to the theater via the fastest route, as well as alternate routes and their travel times.

Asking Alexa for music on a Fire TV device is also now much more functional and interactive than before this latest update. You used to have to request anything you wanted to listen to by voice, but now you can request to see a list of songs, artists, albums, playlists, and stations that match a search request and then use the remote to navigate through the list and make a selection.

The main purpose of this software update for older Fire TV devices seems to be to synchronize Alexa’s capabilities across all Fire TV models, new and old. It, unfortunately, does not update the older devices to Fire OS 6 or add features that are currently only available on newer models, such as the video framerate matching feature that was recently added to the Fire TV 3. If you notice any other changes with this latest software update, let’s hear about them in the comments below.

1. Wrecks says:

I hope this means that my Fire TVs can finally view the Wyze cameras.

• Richard James says:

That was literally the entire reason I read this article. According to WyzeCam, that functionality will be in the Fire TV one Amazon updates it ui to the latest version of their OS port of Android… Slated for August so…..

• Anthony Humphries says:

Hi Billy I was going through my contacts, and came across your name.

• Mark B says:

BUMP

Same exact reason. They said on the Wyze support article that older Fire TVs would be getting an OS update to enable this skill to work. Really want this enabled for older devices since I have a few of these cams.

Still waiting on 5.2.6.6 although v6 would be nice too…Too bad we’ll never get that OS.

• Wrecks says:

It’s also extremely annoying when we hear about these updates and end up waiting for weeks for our devices to get the update, not even knowing for sure if it will actually fix the problem that we are hoping the update will address.

• Wrecks says:

So how long does it fracking take to get the fracking update?

2. MikeS says:

And I hope the new “functionality” isn’t as poor as the FireTV Cube was. I returned mine because it wouldn’t do as much as my old FireTV with an Echo Dot and Harmony hub. This “improvement” might just ruin my entertainment system.

It’ll be a while before I can test things out, I’ll try to give it a go before condemning it.

• Dave says:

I feel ya Mike. I wasn’t impressed either. Logitech has Amazon beat in every way. I returned mine too and I’m a much happier camper.

3. Auburn John says:

“It, unfortunately, does not update the older devices to Fire OS 6 or add features that are currently only available on newer models, such as the video framerate matching feature that was recently added to the Fire TV 3.”

I assume that means that older Fire TV Editions won’t have the setting to power on to last input?

4. yet another opinionated person says:

my fire tv 1st gen got 5.2.6.6 (617513120) a few days ago, and now the center/select button wakes up the fire tv but HDMI-CEC does not trigger the tv power the way it did on 5.2.6.3.

turning off the tv does send the fire tv to sleep.

i haven’t noticed any improvements

5. Patrick says:

Im in canada.
    I got 5.2.6.6 on my 2nd gen box (USA version) on 31Aug. This has removed region block and I can now watch Prime on it.
    My 2nd gen stick (USA version) however still has not updated so it is still region blocked. Hope it comes soon

6. Katie says:

Any one having issues with firestick updated last week? os 5.2.6.6…before the update on my FS last week was working brilliantly..since the update most of my iptv streaming apps will not open..when they do they kick me out and FS goes back to the home page…I’ve even purchased a VPN but FS still won’t play ball..very frustrating..most of the iptv apps all worked prior to this new update..any help on getting around this would be really appreciated not just for me but for all fs/ftv users..thank you for all your hard work and time..

7. Andy says:

I’m still not seeing 5.2.6.6 on my OG Fire TV. Anyone know how to force update from 5.2.6.3? Or is this still part of the rollout window, even though it’s been several weeks?

8. Wrecks says:

One of my Fire TVs (the older one) updated. It still won’t connect to the Wyze camera. The newer Fire TV still refuses to update.

9. Chris Balfour says:

Can anyone confirm if this update has taken away the ability to “forget” the wired connection and set it up manually? My 2nd gen Fire TV was almost bricked by this update but i managed to force a return to factory defaults. Now when setting up everything i can’t get the wired connection to register my smart DNS addresses correctly (the way i had them before the update). For wireless i can set them up fine and also forget the network and start from scratch

10. Kyle says:

Has anyone else had the issue where all Fox live tv shows are blocked if you turn on Parental Controls? I have two fire tv edition tvs. One which hasn’t received this OS update which works fine and one with this update which blocks the Fox over the air channel if parental controls are one. If I turn off parental controls it works fine. I even tried turning on parental controls, but allowed all tv ratings and that didn’t fix the issue.