Slingbox drops support for the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

It appears that Slingbox no longer supports the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick for their Slingplayer app. The app first arrived on the platform in late 2014, but it has now been removed from the Fire TV appstore. Users with the app installed are reporting the Slingplayer app no longer loads. Amazon’s support is telling customers that the app is no longer supported. Changes in the latest Fire TV software update may be the source of the app’s new incompatibility, which means we may see the app return once these issues are adressed.

6/28/2016: The Slingplayer app has just been re-released.
7/1/2016: The Slingplayer app has now been removed again.
7/6/2016: The Slingplayer app is back once again.

1. Gerard Pinzone says:

I have three older Fire TVs. Two with the old firmware and one with rbox’s latest release. None of them work. It’s not the OS. There’s some kind of kill switch in the app. It’s not on the Amazon Appstore anymore, but I still have a backup of the apk. I would bet there’s some kind of verification that’s done by calling Amazon to check if it’s licensed. This app was not a paid app, so I;m not sure why it was written that way, but it’s in there. I wish I knew how to patch the apk to remove the check. I bet the app would still work.

• Ken says:

6/27/16-As of 10:30AM PST tech support at Slingplayer told me that they were aware of the problem and are working on it. Other posts suggest that they will be posting a “fix” today (6/28). I asked for additional details but none were forthcoming like:
      1) Will it be posted as a new app on Amazon?
      2) Do I need to uninstall the old app?

2. hifidigital says:

Slingbox is supposedly working on it…very frustrating!

3. Michelangelo says:

I wonder if the $14.99 SlingPlayer app on the Amazon store would work ??

4. Gerard Pinzone says:

According to Slingbox, there may be an updated app by tomorrow:

FireTV/Slingplayer: we plan to release an updated, working app for Slingplayer/FireTV tomorrow at the earliest. Thank you for your patience!

5. Ujn Hunter says:

Thank you digital future! Love that things can just stop functioning by throwing a switch!

6. Gerard Pinzone says:

Version 3.0.9 was just released. It works on my older Fire TV OS box. It should work for them all.

7. Justin says:

The app was updated and working for a couple of days. As of today (July 2nd), there is an extra Slingplayer app automatically installed on my Fire TV that says “this app is not associated with your Amazon account”, but works. The original one doesn’t work and won’t completely uninstall. The Fire Stick that I own I accidentally uninstalled that “extra” Slingplayer app and now I can’t use anything. There is no evidence of the app in a form that is compatible with Fire TV or Fire Stick at this time. It seems the updated app was pulled as well.

8. Shanbaum says:

Started working for me again on July 4 – Fire TV. Lost it on June 24. I noticed the superfluous, apparently older, app; it appears to be innocuous.