Pricing comparison of the top cloud storage providers

Now that Amazon Drive has done away with their unlimited storage plan, I figured it would be a good time to do a quick roundup of the top cloud storage services and their prices. This is by no means a comprehensive comparison of each service’s features, but it should give you a good starting point to see what you get for your money with each service.

The chart below simply compares the different prices for Amazon Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Apple iCloud, and Dropbox at various storage tiers. Each service has various single file size limits and extra features, so do your research once you’ve narrowed down your prefered services. There are also many other lesser known services, like Box.com and Mega.nz, that I have not included.

Prices below are annual, but some services allow you to pay monthly.

Amazon DriveMicrosoft OneDriveGoogle DriveApple iCloudDropbox
FREE5 GB
& Unlimited Photo Storage
(Requires Prime Membership)
5 GB15 GB
(Shared across all Google services)
5 GB2 GB
20 TB$1,200-$2,400--
30 TB$1,800-$3,600--
Unlimited-$600[2]
(5 Users)
--$720[4]
(3 Users)

[1] With Microsoft OneDrive, $60 for 1 TB is a “Business” plan. The “Personal” 1TB plan is $70, but you also get Office 365 included. There is also a $100 “Personal” plan that gives 5 TB total for 5 users with Office 365 included, but no one user can use more than 1 TB.

[2] With Microsoft OneDrive Business, there is an unlimited plan that is $120 per user with a minimum requirement of 5 users. Each user starts with 5 TB and can request to increase storage as needed through customer support at no additional charge.

[3] With Dropbox Business, the 2 TB plan is $12.50 per month per user with a minimum requirement of 3 users.

[4] With Dropbox Business, the unlimited plan is $20 per month per user with a minimum requirement of 3 users.

Amazon Drive seems to be the most aggressively priced and being able to select exactly how many terabytes you want, at $60 per terabyte, without having to jump up by 10TB at a time, like with Google Drive, is nice. However, most of the other options provide better desktop software and syncing features.

For unlimited storage, your best option by price seems to be Microsoft OneDrive, especially if you have friends or family members to split the service cost with, since you must sign up 5 accounts anyway for the unlimited plan. However, the fact that you have to contact customer support anytime you exceed what is currently allocated to your account, in order to increase your storage quota, could get annoying. Dropbox’s business plan is the only hassle free unlimited option on this list.

1. Uh.. says:

Nice chart!

Although you mention it, perhaps you should also include the $100[1] in the 5TB/Microsoft One Drive cell in your table.

Strangely, the Office 365 Home 5 user plan is $20 less, $80 ( listed as 79.99$ ) in Azerbaijan on

when I looked at it from a VPN in Germany.

Additionally, folks who use Microsoft products may find it rewarding in that each of the 5 users gets their own copy of Office 365 (including iOS and Android apps) plus 60 free minutes of Skype calling to a bunch of countries ( in some cases, both landlines and mobiles ).

2. Fjtorres says:

Seems to me that for some (a lot?) of applications (other than remote off-site backup) a personal cloud NAS like the WD My Cloud with a one-time cost makes more sense. Last I saw, the 3TB model ran under $150.

• Ryan says:

I don’t see local NAS drive as a direct competitor since people typically choose cloud backup for its off-site nature (ability to survive a local catastrophe)

NAS drives compete more against external, USB-attached hard drives

3. Scott H. says:

So I was disappointed in the Amazon news. I primarily enjoyed the service as I could upload videos from my phone and just delete them off and not worry about it and have easy access to view them on my Fire TV. I looked at what I have up there now, and I already have 105 GB of video uploaded now, which is about 10 years or so of random cell phone videos I’ve uploaded.

Granted it would be a long time before I would need to upgrade to 2 TB, but that will happen at some point. So again, disappointing news.

However, as I was researching the alternatives I took a second look last night at Google Photos (not to be confused with Google Drive). I always knew they had free unlimited photo storage, but I didn’t realize they had free unlimited video storage! Yes there are caveats – unlimited free photos will be downsized to 16 MP and videos must be 1080 P or less, but all of my content meets those requirements. I usually use budget phones like the Moto G4 and the most my pictures usually have been are 13 MP and I’m happy with that – and I really don’t see the point for the need to upload 4K videos at this point.

My point is – I was paying for unlimited storage on Amazon primarily for Videos only – photos were free through Prime. As far as other files – I don’t have many. Word documents, excel spreadsheets and other stuff take up hardly anything and I store them on One Drive.

If all you are trying to do is save your memories and videos it appears Google Photos will still let me do that and I’ll save $60 a year. Works for me! I’ll probably start moving things over this weekend.

• Scott H. says:

Oh, and I will miss the ability to view photos through the Fire TV interface, but I heard there are some apps you can sideload that will let you see Google Photos and works well with the Fire TV remote.

I also have a Chromecast I use for those hard to get apps that Fire TV doesn’t support. So I can still get my photos and videos on my TV in some fashion pretty easily.

• AFTVnews says:

Just note that even though your photos are less than the 16MP cap, they will still be compressed, so are still losing the untouched true original. Might be a better option to use Google Photos for just videos, since you’re Prime member and have unlimited Prime Photo storage.

I use the pFolio app to view Google Photos on the Fire TV. It plays videos from Google Photos as well.

• Scott H. says:

Thanks for the tip, I did not know it still compressed under 16 MP. Too bad. Got a little bit more to think about now. Thanks for the recommendation of pFolio. That is the one I had found.

• Josh says:

Thanks for the recommendation for pFolio! I have been looking for something like this!

4. tech3475 says:

What about a comparison of storage policies?

I’ve read that apparently MS are a bit aggressive about what is stored on the one drive, even if it’s not shared while someone using Amazon got blocked from sharing.

• AFTVnews says:

There are definitely a lot of details one should look into before moving a large archive from one service to another. I’m sorry, but I don’t have the time right now to do a detailed analysis/comparison of each service.

5. Ujn Hunter says:

This news is definitely a bummer. Going to 1 TB from “Unlimited” is pretty drastic. The only reason I went with Amazon for Cloud storage was that for $60 a year it’s cheaper than buying a new hard drive to backup your data, but not at 1 TB limit. You can buy a new 4 TB HDD every year for that price. Guess I’ll be going back to local backups in the near future.

• Reflex says:

While I agree that you can get 4TB drives pretty cheap these days, where are you finding them for $60? I haven’t seen them under $99 and most of the time they seem to hover around $110.

• Ujn Hunter says:

Sorry. Typo on my part. I just recently bought both a 2 TB & 4 TB drive and for some reason my brain put the cheapest price with the highest capacity.

Still $60 for 2 TB every year is better than $60 for 1 TB that never increases. I was willing to pay $60 a year for the rest of my digital life for the Unlimited Amazon Drive, but now it’s useless to me at a 1 TB cap. Even more so that they canceled their Plex Cloud support.

6. sharweezy says:

There is also Box.com . When they first started, they were letting new users get 50 GB accounts for free. I think it it reduced to 5 GB now, but they are still a great service.

• sharweezy says:

Never mind lol I just visited their website and found out that they have switched their business model to cater to enterprises and corporations. It also looked like they have stopped free user accounts. It’s a shame, I really liked their website design and mobile app functionality.

7. Ryan says:

For those who care about the privacy of their data, it’s important to note that none of the providers listed protect your data from their own eyes (so you’re vulnerable to hackers, governments, or corrupt employees seeing your data).

If the privacy of your data is important to you, either encrypt it locally before you upload (eg using Cryptomator) or use a service that includes solid end-to-end encryption (eg SpiderOak or Tresorit)