Pre-Rooted 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 Fixed for Netflix

pre-rooted-update
An updated version of the pre-rooted 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 ROM has just been released by rbox. For those unaware, the first version released yesterday caused issues with the new Netflix app that prevented any video from playing. The updated version, which can be downloaded from AFTVnews.com/roms, should resolve the issue. Your Fire TV may hang on a black screen once rebooting after installing this new version. If this happens, rbox advises you to simply power the Fire TV off then back on by pulling the power cord.

Be aware that this updated version of the pre-rooted 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 has not been fully tested. Those using a DNS bypass services to view Netflix content may still have issues. Be sure to let us know your experience with this update and Netflix in the comments to help rbox diagnose any remaining issues. I’ll be sure to update this post with any new information or issues that arise.

Update

Good news. Several people, including those using DNS bypass services, are reporting success using Netflix with this latest pre-rooted ROM. All indication is that the issue has been resolved.

1. JonnyV says:

In Canada using unotelly for Netflix. New Netflix app work as does the DNS bypass!

2. WildeCard says:

Thanks rbox! You’re a Rock Star! Can’t wait to get home later and update my Fire TV.

3. barryst says:

I have a new FTV sitting in my mail box (according to tracking) at home, ordered from eBay. I’m praying it’s rootable lol. Would love to be able to continue to get these pre-rooted updates and enjoy the best of both worlds.

4. jon says:

I did the update following the standard method. With this firmware it got to installing update and then in red says amazon kernel detected : not patching. Install from sdcard complete.

Is that okay? Have not tried to reboot yet but have never seen that before on any device in android.

5. JayS says:

Hi,

I have this version of Fire TV 51.1.4.0_user_514006420. After reading on your site that its not rootable, can I install this ROM? Sorry a bit naive here. If yes, how do I install it?

Thanks,

6. Paul says:

Hi,

Using DNS bypass from South Africa and working fine. No issues at all. Worked right out of the box.

7. Sam says:

Hi there,

Have a UK model running version Fire TV 51.1.4.0_user_514006420. I was disappointed to find that it wasn’t rootable. Does this prerooted version mean I can now root? I am new to this, apologies.

Many thanks.

• Y314K says:

Sorry but UK/GER FireTV’s are not rootable. And for anyone to use a PreRooted FW one already has be rooted with CWM installed.

Folks seem to be working on getting root for the latest FW but nothing has surface to indicate they have been successful.

But come visit here often. I am pretty sure AFTVNews.com will on top of any development of a new root method (Software or Hardware base).

8. Tozmo says:

I’m a USA user. How does this firmware work with XBMC? I was reading the posts about German / UK people losing XBMC support with newer firmware.

As long as I have root, I suppose I can always go backwards if xbmc ever gets dropped

• Y314K says:

XBMC works fine with this latest FW. You don’t even have to be rooted to use XBMC to it’s fullest.

FW 51.1.40_user_514005520 is the on that is not XBMC compatiable. A few folks got their AFTV with this version. All they had to do is upgrade to FW 51.1.4.0_user_514006420.

XBMC on FW 51.1.4.0_user_514006420 works. Period.

9. Paul says:

Hi,

I installed the pre rooted version yesterday in order to run the new Netflix app.

Is it just me or is XBMC/Kodi become laggy when browsing the menues?

I am on 13.2 and it seems that the interface is not as smooth as before.

As skin I am using Confluence Xunity Mod.

10. BoomSchtick says:

I still have major problems with Netflix on this updated release. Going back to the 51.1.3 and will be staying there since it seems to work fine.