Pre-Rooted ROM for the Amazon Fire TV 1 Released

Those of you with rooted first generation Fire TVs can now update to the latest software version because rbox has released a pre-rooted ROM version. You can download the ROM at the usual place and install it using TWRP. I had a bit of a hiccup with my update capturing setup, which is why a ROM for the Fire TV 2 is not available yet. I was able to finally capture the Fire TV 2 update this morning and have passed that on to rbox, so hopefully he’ll find time to release a pre-rooted ROM for the Fire TV 2 soon.

If you have the means, be sure to show your support by donating to rbox. Rbox has made some progress on TWRP and ROMs for the Fire TV Stick during the last couple weeks, but there’s still no word on when those will be released. As always, these pre-rooted ROMs are released so that those with rooted devices can update to the latest software version without losing root. Your device must already be rooted to install these ROMs, so therefore, they will not help you root an unrooted device. To see if your Fire TV 1, Fire TV 2, or Fire TV Stick can be rooted, see my rooting starters guide.

1. Bill says:

Any compelling reasons to upgrade to from on FTV1?

• tech3475 says:

Here’s the changelog from the software updates section:

Notes and Known Changes

QuadRooter Vulnerability is still present on the Fire TV 1
      New Advertising ID options allow for opting-out of ad tracking
      New parental control option will prompt for PIN when launching blocked apps
      Fire TV Stick rooting method blocked
      “System Status Monitor” menu renamed to “Developer Tools Menu v1.40”
      “Not In My House” app blocking mechanism added
      Contact Us section in settings area slightly changed

• Bill says:

Right, I read that too. To me, it really doesn’t look like much of a reason to upgrade. Is there something important here that I didn’t notice?

2. tech3475 says:

Might be worth adding a link which anonymously allows people to donate, unless he’s giving some kind of benefit to donators.

3. Gerard Pinzone says:

Do we still need to patch the SuperSU so we can access /sdcard as root? Do we block updates the same way? What about disableing the “Not in My House” service? Is it off by default?

4. Daryl says:

I used the launcher APK version of SPMC with 5.0.5 with no issues.
    I finally updated to this load and the launcher APK no longer works. I tried reinstalling the APK (the launcher one) but pressing home buttom always goes to the Amazon home screen, not SPMC. Anyway around this?

5. Dara says:

I rooted my Fire TV 1 back in May ( I think) and I use Fire Starter (v3.2.3). Will the latest ROM affect FireStarter? I use it as my main interface and can go back to the Amazon interface with the Home button.

6. Alex says:

What does this mean for fire tv stick owners? I had no clue it downloads and updates itself without asking or input from the user. So now I’m on 5211.

Does this new rooted rom mean that FTVS users on 5211 will get root soon?

• D says:

All the Fire TV devices attempt to automatically update as soon as they have an internet connection, which is why it is important to block the update site names and addresses and / or disable or hide the update services.

If your Fire TV stick updated to stock there is no known software root. You would need root to be able to install a custom ROM. These pre-rooted ROMs are for people who already obtained root at some point and want to update without losing that access. You always have the hardware root method, but it’s not for the faint of heart or unsteady hand… Keep checking here and XDA for news, I guess.

Rooting guide:

7. Eric W. says:

Thanks Elias, much appreciated.

8. Archman says:

I installed update I noticed it installed SuperSU as part of the install. I already had SuperSU 2.76 installed. Is that OK? does it overwrite the 2.76? Do I need to do something? Also, can I update SuperSu to version 2.78?

9. Ben says:

FTV 1

April 2015
    – Unlock the Amazon Fire TV Bootloader
    – Install ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on the Amazon Fire TV (ClockworkMod Custom Recovery by rbox
    – Pre-Rooted Stock ROM version updated

How do I update to this latest and do I need to install TWRP first? or do I need to uninstall ClockworkMod Custom Recovery? so confused, please help.Thanks.

10. Atreyu says:

What pisses me off is that every time I upgrade it messes up xposed installation and patch for su access to /sdcard. These things need to flashed again and again.

11. Rafael Garces says:

I updated to on my Fire Tv 1st Gen it went through the install and when it came back up there was no internet connection so I went to restart the Fire TV using the remote(held down select+play). The Fire TV acted like it was rebooting however it shut off and now it will not power on. I have tested the power adapter and it is reading 5v. Any idea what could have caused this or if there is any fix at this point. Thank you.

12. sushi says:

Did anyone experienced strange behavior like:

– Netflix suddenly stops and back to the movie page
    – Kodi exit the movie and the FireTV goes to sleep

This never happened on 5.0.5_r1