Pre-Rooted ROM for the Amazon Fire TV 2 Released

A pre-rooted ROM of the new software version for the 2nd-gen Fire TV has been released by rbox. You can find it here at the usual place. If you’re financially able, please consider donating to rbox to show him your appreciation for his continued work keeping all of us capable of updating our devices without losing root. You can install this new ROM regardles of what version is currently on your Fire TV 2. Be sure to also grab this MD5 file and include it with the ROM to ensure the ROM is not corrupted before flashing.

This pre-rooted version of does disable FireStarter and FiredTV, just like the stock version. However, because you’re rooted, you can disable the app blacklist and re-enable either app by following this guide.

Rbox told me he had a chance to make progress on TWRP for the 1st-gen Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, as well as pre-rooted ROMs, so those are very much still in the works and should be released by early May at the latest.

1. DeanR1977 says:

wow Twrp for the fire stick in may at the latest! Lovgely work Rbox

2. DeanR1977 says:

*lovely work (i ment to say HAHA)

3. cdlenfert says:

That was crazy fast. This was just discussed on the live stream a few hours ago. Great work rbox!

4. Christopher Loughrey says:

Great news about the 1st gen and Fire Stick. The new update wouldn’t really benefit anyone rooted on 5.0.5 that uses FireStarter as the third party apps on the home screen would be irrelevant using Firestarter.

5. Someone says:

That is great news about the FireStick! I’ve had multiple brand new ones waiting for the day they could be rooted! Now they all sit with kingroot on v5.0.5 in their boxes until a prerooted rom arrives. rbox rbox he’s our man if he can’t do it no one can! Cheers to rbox for the latest prerooted Rom!!!

6. Rapha says:

Appreciate rbox and your work!

I am on pre-rooted 5.0.5 with TWRP version 3.0.0-4 of rbox.
    Can I simply flash “FireTV 2 (sloane) Prerooted Stock Image” via the TWRP I have? Will this update my TWRP version and FTV image as TWRP is included in this zip?

Or what would be the correct way to upgrade from pre-rooted 5.0.5 to

Thanks for your advice!

7. This sucks says:

Damn May for the FTV1 release wow, should have held off my donation until it’s been released :( since rooting my FTV1 my Netflix, Hulu and kodi freezes randomly where I have to press play again to start it. Very annoying.

8. Chris says:

Feeling like the blacksheep for not owning a FTV2. Honestly thinking to unroot so i can get OS 5. Not being able to get NCAA tourney stunk. Laptop to chromecast was awful, stuttered entire time.

• Some one says:

IKR, damn… just no love for the FTV1 at all going on here. I rather test a half baked buggy beta than nothing at all.

9. David says:

Hello!, I have rooted my aftv2 successfully. but after I updated it to the latest rbox rom and retorted the device. It just gets stuck at the white Amazon logo. It won’t boot into recovery. Do you know how to fix it?

10. steve says:

These instructions need a WARNING! FireStarter can be re-enabled but since the ADB home key detection does not work, it’s pretty much a pain to use. Stick with 5.0.5 for now.

11. westc0ast says:

after update and wipe i now have twrp but lost root.what happen?

12. westc0ast says:

still see supersu but its useless and i can’t uninstall.

13. Desi says:

What about AFTV1?

14. Pat Simard says:

Can someone tell me why we would consider going to this version? Are there any positive aspects that makes losing FireStarter or partially losing some of it worth the upgrade?

• TROJAN4EVR says:

Because you can see your sideloaded apps in the recent section of the home page. This is convenient for those who want to easily launch apps like Kodi.

15. kel says:

I have an rbox rooted aftv2 on stock rom 5.0.4, also twrp installed via adb.

Can i jump straight to the latest prerooted ?,or do i have to install an earlier rom 1st.

btw .. great work by the devs.

16. bill says:

any way to donate without paypal? I canceled my paypal account due to the nonsense they pulled down in NC and vowed never to use that service again

17. Launchpad McQuack says:

Twenty bucks just headed your way, rbox. Thanks for helping us free our hardware from corporate greed!