Post your Questions & Topics for tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast 67

aftvnewscast-questions-topics
I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast tomorrow at 11am PT / 2pm ET. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Which streaming services feature DVR capabilities?

2. Riddlr says:

Recently my two rooted fire tv 1’s on the latest of the previous prerooted OS have been popping up with low storage messages. A reboot fixes the issue and further investigation revealed the following file continuously growing:

/data/data/com.amazon.tv.launcher/databases/mbcache.db

Any idea on what is going on (both have google services, firestarter and Kodi installed)? Should I factory reset? If so are there any special considerations needed on a rooted FTV1 to factory reset?

Thanks for the great site!

3. Tom Jones says:

Can the Echo be a witness to a crime?

4. Joe vitale says:

I’ve sideloaded vudu to my Fire TV 2 with 5.2.4.0. When launching the app, it is not formatted to my screen properly (stretched horizontally). I’ve tried to find a fix or workaround but have been unable to so far. Any ideas?

5. Elian says:

Are there any development teams working specifically to root the latest FireOS?

6. Robert Simandl says:

Just curious what other apps (besides Kodi) people sideload onto their Fire TV’s. I see Vudu on a previous reply above, what others? Thanks.

7. Ian King says:

Please discuss how to install the latest version of Xfinity TV app on a Fire TV, including what additional, if any, apps are needed to allow full operation of the app without a keyboard. For example, whether Amazon’s remote control app for iOS can be used instead of a keyboard.

8. Nate says:

I recently purchased an Amazon Echo and am enjoying it so far. I have investigated ways people are going outside of the box to automate items not native to Alexa’s ecosystem (E.g. If This Then That, IFTTT).

I am interested in creating my own Alexa skills that are currently not available and have read up on some resources for doing so.

Do you have any experience in this area of programming? Can you discuss the level of difficulty in trying to create your own Alexa skills for someone with a programming background? Thanks!

9. Kevin says:

Recently I rooted my Fire Tv 2 (5.2.1) using Kingroot. Blocked software updates by using your guide to change the build number. All was well until a few days later I figured I might as well install twrp and update Rbox’s 5.2.4 pre- rooted rom. Everything was going smoothly until I got to the “wipe” part. Did what was instructed ( so I thought) hit reboot or whatever and now Nothing except a slow pulsing white light. No signal, white Amazon logo none of the usual suspects. Tried the alt+print screen+I option with no avail. Also tried to recover its IP address using the one stored on adb Fire and nothing.
    Tried again with another Fire tv 2 but skipped the wipe part and everything is working perfectly.
    Any help or suggestions to get my other one to show some kind of life would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even an updated unbricking tutorial or guide in the future if time permits.
    Found something on the XDA website regarding downloading three files. But after opening the “SH” file (for Mac) I’m lost what to put and where.
    Thanks again for your time and effort in making this site and keeping us all informed and current.

10. Jason Graves says:

Does the new interface go blank still when not connected to internet? Im hoping my apps will stay visible like on androidtv.

Does the new software support better usb drive formats?

11. Jim says:

So will you be covering the new Nvidia shield tv on CES and will you obtain one and overing it on your site as well? If so then should I sell my unopened 16gb version then? But I heard the new one will be underpowered as a gaming device to closely match regular streaming boxes. Thanks