Post your Questions & Topics for tomorrow’s AFTVnewscast 60

aftvnewscast-questions-topics
I’ll be live streaming this week’s episode of the AFTVnewscast tomorrow at 11am PT / 2pm ET. Post your questions or topics in the comments below for me to answer and discuss during the episode. Anything goes for questions, whether it’s about the Fire TV, AFTVnews, or tech in general. Let’s hear them! Even if you can’t watch live, ask your question now and catch the episode on YouTube later.

1. Wrecks says:

What are the best Amazon Prime videos for Halloween?

2. Masterblaster says:

Elias
    What do you think of the new user interface ?
    Will it perform better with the new software ?
    Will it allow customization ?
    Thank-you

3. Moe says:

I really liked your guide for how to install Google play music on the Fire TV and was wondering is there a way to to the same thing on a Nexus player. I tried side loading the Funimation app from the Fire TV but got a error about not being signed in with my Amazon account on my device. Some other Fire TV apps worked fine line the new Twitter app. I guess I need a specific version of the Amazon store installed on my Nexus player.

4. Jay says:

Seeing how Amazon has now embraced low priced Fire tablets, I’m wondering if they will continue to promote the new Fire TV Stick as their main streaming device and never release a new higher priced Fire TV box with better specs. What is your opinion?

5. wonko the sane says:

Hi Elias.

Your comparison of the h264 and h265 codec processing in the 3 FireTV devices was excellent.

If Amazon switches to h265 exclusively then won’t people’s older devices become useless? Or do you think Amazon will continue to stream H264 to devices that can only process that?

Cheers.

Wonko.

6. NewlyRooted says:

do you know why Amazon pulled the follow app? its no longer available
    HDHomeRun VIEW [Apps for Android] Sold By: Amazon Digital Services LLC

i purchased it on August 7, 2016 but seem to push it to my other devices and the above link is dead.

7. Damien says:

I thought maybe your fans would like you to cover adbfire.
    Its great side loader program.
    Installs kodi, change backgrounds, take screenshots ect. Also has the terminal.

DJ

8. JackalDancer says:

Hello

I don’t know if you can help or if you know how I can get some help for the following issue? I will try and explain as best I can.

I had an account on twitch which I use to use to view my content on my fire tv devices. I linked the twitch app on fire tv with my account by entering the code on the website.

I later for various reasons deleted my old twitch account and set up a new one. this is where my problem starts.

Every time I start the twitch app on my fire TV device the app keeps trying to connect to the old account and comes back with an authentication failed message, there is no way for me to log out and sign back in etc.

So I thought if I uninstalled the app and reinstalled that might work, but no it still tries to log in my old account. so I next tried removing the app from my amazon account and then reinstall, this also resulted in the same behaviour.

I then also tried to log in to the app on my other Fire TV Stick device which previously never had twitch installed, once I installed twitch it automatically tried to log me in to the old account again with a failure.

So I concluded that my login details must be stored in the cloud and synced between my devices from my amazon account, I looked under my account and couldn’t find anything, so I contacted Amazon who at first tried to blame the twitch app, when I explained that my login details must be stored somewhere for it to sync to the new devices, they told me they would look into it, they came back about a week later with a generic response that maybe in the future logging out the app may be supported.

Which doesn’t really help me, and still leaves me wondering how to get my new account logged in. so do you know what is going? or what might be going on? or any ideas how to get the old login details removed.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

• Passer-By says:

Okay. Here’s what you do. It’s a bit thorough. Might not all be necessary. I don’t really know what I’m doing, but this should work. Assuming you’re okay with losing any data that might be stored on you amazon devices, which I assume a reinstall would do too.

1.]
      Start at your logged in twitch account. Somewhere in your settings will be a list of everything your twitch account is connected with. Find the amazon connection in the list and remove it.

2.]
      Then go to your amazon account. Navigate to your apps and devices page. ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/your-account/myapps/ref=nav_youraccount_aad ) If that link doesn’t work just dig around in the amazon menus until you find something titled like “Your Android Apps & Devices.

It should list all of the devices that amazon account is connected to. Go to each amazon app in turn. From the list of apps on the next screen, find the twitch app and remove it.

3.]
      On the devices, navigate to whatever the settings menu is and from there to anything resembling “App Data” or “Managing Installations.” It might be another menu deep.

Find the twitch app, and delete the data, delete the cache, and then uninstall/delete the app itself.

4.]
      In each device, go to your app sections. If twitch is still on the list, go to it and remove it from the cloud.

5.]
      Reinstall the app, and repeat the steps to connect twitch to your fire devices.

If that doesn’t work, I can’t imagine what would.

• Passer-By says:

4.5]
        Oh! And you may have to sync your devices to, to reinstall the apps immediately. Which you should be able to do in the “Settings” —> “My Account” menu within each device.

• Passer-By says:

Revision to step 2.

Don’t go to each device individually. There should be a whole list there of all your apps across all devices. Find the twitch app there.

9. John C says:

You mentioned a couple episodes back about the benefits of Amazon’s unlimited cloud storage under their paid plan. But AFAIK, one serious disadvantage to that plan is they won’t allow you to store for streaming any video longer than 20 minutes. Store or download a large video file, yes. Stream a large video file, no. Am I missing something?

10. John C. says:

I just a live chat with Amazon customer support, per your suggestion.

And, the rep I spoke with said they had already received a lot of negative customer feedback on the issue. So, the rep actually made two promises to me.

1. Amazon is NOT going to remove the screen calibration feature from the software for the original Fire TV stick and the Fire TV boxes.

2. He said they’ll also be working to restore the screen calibration feature to the software for the new Fire TV stick 2.

11. Dave says:

Current VLC app on Amazon no longer supported on the new Fire TV Stick 2. Hopefully, the developer was notified as to why that is.

12. Del says:

I found an Amazon testers app in the Play Store a few weeks a go that references the ‘Amazon Alpha’. Do you know what this device or service is?